Mississippi steam boat

Hello all, I just finished ugears Cadillac, which I really enjoyed doing, so for my birthday my friends got me the occre Mississippi steam ship, it looks like a lot of fun, and a bit overwhelming, I am getting everything I need before I start, including paints, glues and varnishes, my question is do I need to buy occre paints or will my acrylic paints I use for art be good enough 

Welcome to MSW Bo,

The best paints in my own experience are tubed artist acrylics.   I would also consider an over spray of a matte finish UV protecting urethane or similar top coat.  Perhaps the Occre supplied paints are top quality artist acrylics as well but they may be like the cheap bottled acrylics.  I have used those bottled paints in the past and they seemed to be OK at the time, but when I went to good quality tubed artist acrylics I learned the bottled stuff is not nearly as good.  As usual, lower price, lower quality.  

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

Welcome to MSW, Bo.  I suggest you start a build log on the riverboat.  It's a great way to get help and meet other builders.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

9 hours ago, Bo Button said:

Thank you allanyed for the tip, I have loads of tubed acrylics, as I paint as well, I will use those and a spray matte finish, thank you

A recommendation when using artist acrylics...this is based on a Chuck Passaro recommendation from either his CONFEDERACY or WINCHELSEA build log:  Water down the paint paint and apply many coats, light sanding between coats.  This results in an outstanding finish-referred to as "Coach Finish".  I buff with a micro fiber cloth vice ultra fine sand paper.  This works very well on wales.  Not sure how much patience you have for a full hull.

Chuck Seiler
San Diego Ship Modelers Guild
Nautical Research Guild

Current Build:: Colonial Schooner SULTANA (scratch from Model Expo Plans), Hanseatic Cog Wutender Hund, John Smith Shallop
Completed:  Missouri Riverboat FAR WEST (1876) Scratch, 1776 Gunboat PHILADELPHIA (Scratch 1/4 scale-Model Shipways plans)

16 hours ago, mtaylor said:

Welcome to MSW, Bo.  I suggest you start a build log on the riverboat.  It's a great way to get help and meet other builders.

I definitely will, I lived in New Orleans and went on the Natchez a lot, and the river queen, both lovely steam boats

There are a lot of logs for this kits that will give you a good idea what to expect, also some inspirations for how various builder have adapted the kit to add their own personal touches. Have fun!

I am sorry to bother you with a silly problem, but the very first piece of the hull, I have put in, but part 11 which goes on the front, it looks like a gap but the bottom of the pieces do not stick out should they be level, because it does not look like it on the picture, and what are the best clamps buy

At this point you should consider starting a build log, that's the best context for asking questions about actually building the kit. Here's a thread about how to start a build log. When you do so, let us know here so we can easily find it.

Also, it's really hard to diagnose and answer questions without photos of the problem.

As for clamps, that really depends on what you're doing. Here's a good thread with some suggestions and photos for different clamps in different contexts. The Modeling Tools and Workshop Equipment section of MSW has lots more information.