1/32 Yak 3 Special Hobby "Onward to Berlin" Finished

I started this build last night not much Russkie in the collection either this will be my 2nd SH kit to which I have a few limited run kits in the collection waiting to be built.I will be using for the first time the Quinta Studios copit it adds some nice details.I may play with the wheel wells have seen some Nice enhancements done by on builder.The Qunita people say to paint first then overlay the decal that started last night with the grey to which the instructions say to use a light gull grey I opted for neutral grey a tad darker.

Yak3 002.JPG

Yak3 001.JPG

Yak3 003.JPG

Edited by Javlin

Sweet! The Yak-3 is another airplane that I have a soft spot for, having built the Normandie-Niemen version in 1/72 scale from Heller as a kid. A few years ago (more like a decade) I built the 1/33 scale card version from Orlik.

954020729_yak-3withcanopy2small.jpg.a4a462e5bb461b0f71e1c6b294732eeb.jpg

EDIT: Just discovered one can still get the Heller kit on eBay.

s-l400.jpg.117ff2beb372bea27430d14d3d9cd383.jpg

Have fun with your project!

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Hawker Hurricane

I am not the best photographer maybe some outdoor pics later.........now others it seems have a steadier hand than I but were the wires feed in the back I cut off the stubbs ,drilled .020",inserted hollow rod and then the wire.I like the Quinta kit for the big slides but had a nob break while fiddling with the IP the thin pieces break fairly easy or maybe just fat fingers:unsure:

Yak3 001.JPG

Yak3 002.JPG

Yak3 003.JPG

Yak3 004.JPG

Very nice and sharp work on the cockpit.

Best regards,

Dan.

Current build : Mayflower - AL 1:64

Completed non-ship builds : Spitfire MK I - 1:48Arado 196B - 1:32, Sea Fury - 1:48F-15C Eagle - 1:48Hawker Tempest Mk.V - 1:48F104S Starfighter - 1:48

"The most effective way to do it, is to do it" - Amelia Earhart

your off to a good start........the instrument panel looks really good :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

8 hours ago, Danstream said:

Very nice and sharp work on the cockpit.

Best regards,

Dan.

Thanks Dan they Quinta slides like anything have there good and bad points.

5 hours ago, popeye the sailor said:

your off to a good start........the instrument panel looks really good :) 

The big slides Denis from Quinta are a great improvement it's the small handles and T-handles can break easily the dial already have the clear lens applied I p/u mine from these guys  https://www.hobbynutmodels.com/collections/3d-print-detail

• 2 weeks later...

I figured it's time for an update.The kit presents it's problems like most limited run kit first off the tail-planes have a terrible step on top on one side and the bottom of the other.I put .010 round styrene in the grove and filled outward about 1/4" and commenced to sanding had to make two passes after the silver showed the line still present at the edge about 20 mins a side.The next was the top cowl the moulding is either thick on the l/side or the male part of the fuselage is fat I worked both got some relief just not 100% maybe 85/90%.The wheel wells may I say were a "B" are made of 6 pieces all together to which you have to line them up to the bottom half of the wing and hope it lines up with the upper moulding I was close but no cigar but it happened with choice words and coercion.The fit between the fuse is OK should work but some wood clamps from the other side will probably come into play.Do I hate the kit by no means not it will be presentable as a nice build just not a shake n bake that's all.Now some pics of the good bad and ugly.;) Kevin

PS: went to Covington LA yesterday for a model contest a first for me in 15/20 years about a 1 1/4 hr drive not far had a great time Wife was in Alexandria LA with some friends.So Kevin walked out for $210 Trumpters 1/32 P-47N,P-51D,P-40B,Me 262w/extras and a 1/72 Hase Emily bigger than most of the 1/32 minus the jug.When I walk out of a hobby store like I did in Mobile and do not buy anything because I have more in the stash than they have on the shelf me says time start shopping elsewhere.

Yak3 004.JPG

Yak3 002.JPG

Yak3 003.JPG

Yak3 001.JPG

Yak3 005.JPG

Yak3 007.JPG

Yak3 008.JPG

Belts and footstraps are in and I have got to say the Quinta in this area is a Treat! The cage is glued in non need to afix the rear rad screen glue the fuse to the wings and then the last two panels for the pit are last.I will then be off to tracking down pics of the LG.;)

Yak3 001.JPG

Yak3 002.JPG

I remember getting any Eastern Bloc info on their a/c was very tough. Why the French and Italian equipment was so rare, I wish we knew.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

9 hours ago, CDW said:

I love the WW2 Russian fighters. For whatever reasons, I never recall seeing many photos or reading about Russian WW2 aircraft until more recent times. Growing up in the 50's and 60's, all we ever saw were American, British, Japanese, and German aircraft. Never French, Italian, Russian, Polish, etc.

Thks Craig.I have a couple of the Russkies  in the stash in 1/48 but like you mentioned have been adding those other Nationalities but the "American Beauty" will be coming such a pretty P-51D.

Image (41).jpg

Well got some white on the spinner as a backdrop for the red and went on the hunt for seams found some in the tail ,behind the pit and the left wing all quick.I am thinking of going closed canopy on this something about the shape lends itself to that direction? That's all for a couple day methinks back to the treadmill tomorrow bright and early.;)

Yak3 001.JPG

Yak3 002.JPG

Nice work on the cockpit and the closed model looks cleanly done.

Waiting for seeing more,

best regards,

Dan.

Completed non-ship builds : Spitfire MK I - 1:48Arado 196B - 1:32, Sea Fury - 1:48F-15C Eagle - 1:48Hawker Tempest Mk.V - 1:48F104S Starfighter - 1:48

Are the white sprays to check the junctions?

22 minutes ago, Danstream said:

Are the white sprays to check the junctions?

Yep, it's easier to see an irregular surface once it has been painted....

Current Build: F-86F-30 Sabre by Egilman - Kinetic - 1/32nd scale

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

Terminated Build: F-104C Starfighter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

"Relish Today, Ketchup Tomorrow"

nice progress :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

I have got some paint and she has been glossed.The color of the blue was a bit to conjure up not many manufactures make it and the chip was darker than RLM78 but this dark?<_< I for the second time used blue tac and did not care for the results it came out light in some areas and fine in others and then it left a grease line in some of the light grey.So,I had to go back and freehand every dk grey line and then retouch the lt.grey lines were the grease mark remained so then I just free-handed the blue.I should of just free-handed the whole plane like usual would of saved me about and hour the Badger Renegade airbrush is quite capable and up to the job.The freehand was done @25psi and the mixture consistency of whole milk.

Yak3 001.JPG

Yak3 002.JPG

Yak3 003.JPG

It looks rather spiffy in its camouflage. Very good job.

Regards,

Dan

Those decals really bring it to life.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

1 hour ago, CDW said:

Great model, love the progress. Do you have any info on the pilot of the plane that carried these markings? They had some very good pilots from what I have read with victory counts that rivaled the German aces in many cases.

There may be some in the instructions Craig I like doing stuff for eye appeal now I was thinking that the silver stars may mean something in production line series?Theirs been one guy and his name eludes me now who served WWII,Korea and Vietnam was a colonel of a FG that I would like to do a plane from each conflict he flew in his markings.Boles?

Robin Olds

Edited by Javlin