HMS Penelope by King Derelict - FINISHED - Flyhawk - 1/700 - PLASTIC

No, I haven't,  Alan. I mostly use the Hydrocal plaster of Paris. Sets up pretty quick, very light weight, works well with the rubber molds, especially the small details. ScaleHobbyist is in New Hampshire and I have had very good service from them.

1 hour ago, CDW said:

Alan

looks like one or both of us are getting some wind and rain in the next few days. It’s Already been like a monsoon here last week.

Craig

It's rained a lot here but the lakes were so low there is still plenty of room for more. Elsa looks like it's coming up your side but I think we are both in for some dirty weather starting tomorrow night. As long as it stays as a tropical storm and keeps moving,...........

Take Care

Alan

7 hours ago, Jack12477 said:

No, I haven't,  Alan. I mostly use the Hydrocal plaster of Paris. Sets up pretty quick, very light weight, works well with the rubber molds, especially the small details. ScaleHobbyist is in New Hampshire and I have had very good service from them.

Thanks Jack

i found the Sculptamold to be a bit difficult to use, probably because it was the first time

Alan

On 7/3/2021 at 7:45 PM, RGL said:

Looks amazing. Yes the chain is waaay too big. In 1/700 the YX chain would be too big as well as they’re pretty much battleship chains. I’d just use the pe ones painted dark blue and dry brush Dark brown then a rust wash. 

Greg. Thank you for the kind comments. I aspire to be better; your models are an unreachable goal I amafraid but they are works of great beauty and I love watching them come together.

Thanks for the information regarding the YX resin chain. I had ordered a couple of lengths but I won't wait for them to arrive; I will use the PE chain as you suggest and hope the resin might work with The Prince Of Wales which I think is the biggest kit on my shelf or the USS Wasp

Thanks again

Alan

On 7/4/2021 at 2:22 PM, Jack12477 said:

Jack

I forgot to add in my original reply. Your Sherman dioramas are really impressive. Beautifully executed.

Alan

I mixed up some Sculptamold and smoothed it over the foam contours to develop the fjord landscape. This was my first acquaintance with Sculptamold and I found it harder to use than I expected. It is a mix of plaster, clay and finely shredded paper so it has properties of Papier Mache and plaster. It is quite lightweight and adheres well to most things. I found it has quite a fibrous appearance although I have seen notes claiming a glass smooth finish is possible. I embedded the plaster "rocks" made earlier and blended them in with some of the Sculptamold. 

I Sculptamold instructions state that the mixed compound remains workable for about thirty minutes. Videos I have watched said twenty to twenty-five minutes but I barely got ten minutes. It allowed me to get the first cut at the landform but barely

1594104607_RIMG0169(1280x720).jpg.02601d04cfc2eb32a6c340dfc8261bd2.jpg

It occurred to me that water from the cold tap is not truly cold this time of year in Florida and working in the garage is also a warm environment and these factors might be shortening the cure time so I mixed a second batch to finish the landscape using water from the refrigerator and working in the house (ahem). The mix was unusable in fifteen minutes but I got the last parts done to my satisfaction. I read a wide range of statements about curing time; from 2 hours to 48 hours. Its still damp to the touch so I think at least twenty-four hours before i put a layer of white gesso over everything and see if I like it before painting.

382388798_RIMG0180(1280x720).jpg.a590dbfda3efdfd90e8d8762626ee52c.jpg

On 7/4/2021 at 8:21 PM, CDW said:

Alan

looks like one or both of us are getting some wind and rain in the next few days. It’s Already been like a monsoon here last week.

Craig

Looks like this one is going to be yours. Good luck, stay safe and I hope the power stays on.

Alan

Today I thought the Sculptamold felt completely dry so I brushed on a layer of white gesso to seal the Sculptamold and improve the surface finish. The web is varied in opinion for the drying time of gesso so I'll review in twenty-four hours. In the meantime the acrylic sheets for the display case have arrived so that will be started.

162662421_RIMG0195(1280x720).jpg.a26b25c73b28f753d86e035f3e218053.jpg

1057321559_RIMG0196(1280x720).jpg.a5199dd7ee938a57019fddf0e50bc914.jpg

Thanks

Alan

The gesso was dry this morning so I started adding the base colours for the mountain sides and the sea. Im using craft acrylics and they are going onto the gesso well. After painting on the bare earth and the rock faces I felt the white snow didn't look like snow; it looked like an unfinished diorama. So I mixed a very pale blue and a dilute wash and started working it into the white.

2088886645_RIMG0201(1280x720).jpg.2df605afe37c2836a38eb730522b1338.jpg

While the paint was drying I made up the display case. I haven't found a cost effective case source so I have been buying the acrylic sheets from TAP Plastics who custom cut the sheets at a reasonable cost and have a very fast  cutting and delivery time. Mine was shipped the day after I ordered it. They have a great range of thicknesses and colours too.

2009153465_RIMG0202(1280x720).jpg.b9d4c7200c679b41d85316714d0702cb.jpg

The acrylic cement has the viscosity of water and they recommend using a syringe to run it down the joints and it will wick into the joint by capillary action. I find there is a risk of drops marring the panels so I use a brush. It takes longer but I have more control.

The corner vices are indispensable.

205826202_RIMG0205(1280x720).jpg.59be27c3b3c3a9a4ae10857880f4c2c7.jpg

The finished product is basic but they work well for me. The dimensions allow them to be stacked and they fit in the deep shelves of my bookcases. I gave it a trial fit over the diorama and it fits nicely

1109993024_RIMG0206(1280x720).jpg.0f7e4b57634c1a6e1861b337109cdc83.jpg

So back to the dry diorama. I thought the snow wash was too blue so I added a very dilute black wash which gave a result I liked. I dry brushed black into the channel of the waterfall and the cliff faces. I darkened the base colour of the barren snow free areas and then dry brushed a lighter colour over them. I'm still not happy with those area and will try some more washes. At 1/700 scale I am a bit nervous of adding textures than would rapidly get out of scale. I plan to dry brush some white back over the snow and in patches on the bare areas and the cliff face. I think a few iterations may be necessary before it looks good. Its fun but its a lot harder than I expected. I have a lot to learn from the masters.

1726349684_RIMG0207(1280x720).jpg.248d99c88a9e7349c33b077560ab4bd7.jpg

Thanks for looking in

Alan

That is looking really nice  Alan  and what a brill job you did on the case.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

Sorry to come late to this log, but wow, you're doing a great job and that diorama is looking fantastic!  Glad to see that others are working in the 1/700 scale - I really enjoyed mine and have a stack of others to start working on.  The subjects are a lot more varied especially on the auxiliary side.

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

8 hours ago, Landlubber Mike said:

Sorry to come late to this log, but wow, you're doing a great job and that diorama is looking fantastic!  Glad to see that others are working in the 1/700 scale - I really enjoyed mine and have a stack of others to start working on.  The subjects are a lot more varied especially on the auxiliary side.

Hi Mike

Thank you for the very kind words. I learning a lot as I go along. I started 1/700 as a trial before investing in 1/350 scale but I really like the 1/700 kits and seem to generally be working down in the destroyer end into the bargain; Penelope is the biggest subject to date. I really like the Flyhawk kits especially the deluxe ones which just need a wooden deck and are then fully set up. I have a number of Flyhawk kits on the shelf and a resin kit from Niko which looks quite good. I agree about the diversity of subject matter. I really like that seaplane tender that Craig (CDQ) recently completed. I may try to copy that but then the shelf of future kits just keeps growing.

The diorama is fun but is very much experimental. So far so good though.

Your tool tips and their sources have been very helpful in improving my PE so thank you very much for that

Alan

On 7/3/2021 at 7:45 PM, RGL said:

Looks amazing. Yes the chain is waaay too big. In 1/700 the YX chain would be too big as well as they’re pretty much battleship chains. I’d just use the pe ones painted dark blue and dry brush Dark brown then a rust wash. 

I just got a package from Hong Kong this afternoon. Four little cases of the YX 1/700 chain. I was expecting some acupuncture needles for moving glue around and opened the bag to find four little plastic cases with apparently nothing in them. A closer look revealed the tiny detailed chain. It is amazing. I had almost written off the order because I had no emails confirming teh order or confirming shipment but here it is in less than two weeks. Looks great and they will be getting more business especially as shipping was entirely reasonable. If the chain is too big for the Penelope it might work for Prince of Wales - and I just got on the Hood bandwaggon and ordered the Flyhawk deluxe kit.

Thanks

Alan

I continued refining the hillsides today. I dry brushed white highlights back into the snow and added snow back into the bare areas and stippled white into the edges to try to reflect melting snow. I'm still not happy with it but it is looking better and I think I'm going in the right direction. I'm toying with adding a small amount of gloss medium in places to look like ice or water. I'm working on ideas for the frozen waterfall too.

707105080_RIMG0210(1280x720).jpg.6c1c50b6a719cb8712e1aed23abdbf71.jpg

Alan, this is the Woodland Scenics stuff I used to make the snow fo my Sherman tank winter diorama. The paste goes down first then dusted with the snow. Dries pretty flexible and sets pretty quickly.  The snow bottle is also a shaker.

20210710_214641.thumb.jpg.356a414871d59f8148875a9fc995c6d7.jpg

1 hour ago, CDW said:

It's been released? Wow, I am slipping. All this home renovation business has totally interfered with my hobby the past few weeks. 🙂 

Mine will arrive around August/September  they think.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

1 hour ago, CDW said:

Your diorama is coming along beautifully Alan.

I had missed your post that showed the acrylic case you built. Very nice indeed. Does TAP plastics also sell the little corner clamps? I'll have to search them out as I need a source for clear acrylic.

Thanks for sharing that.

Has to be cheaper than the Plastic case I had made  - that ended up costing like  £300.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

17 hours ago, CDW said:

It's been released? Wow, I am slipping. All this home renovation business has totally interfered with my hobby the past few weeks. 🙂 

Don't panic Craig.

I just put an order on EBay so I'm going to be behind OC but I'm in no danger of running out of kits before it arrives. I read on a site it was due to release on June 30th but then how quickly they ship I don't know.

Alan

15 hours ago, Old Collingwood said:

Has to be cheaper than the Plastic case I had made  - that ended up costing like  £300.

OC.

My home made case is made of 3/16" sheet 6" x 1 2" x 2 0" and worked out at about $ 60. It's probably cheaper if you buy the uncut sheets and cut them yourself. I'm not good enough at cutting accurately to go that route. You have to get a very clean square edge to the cuts so the acrylic cement gets drawn into the joint and welds it together. TAP prices are reasonable enough that I would rather leave the cutting to them.

Alan

23 hours ago, CDW said:

Your diorama is coming along beautifully Alan.

I had missed your post that showed the acrylic case you built. Very nice indeed. Does TAP plastics also sell the little corner clamps? I'll have to search them out as I need a source for clear acrylic.

Thanks for sharing that.

Many Thanks Craig.

Its a bit trial and error but its a fun change from breath holding PE manipulation.

I got the corner clamps from Amazon and they have been used quite a bit without any problems. They work well with material 3/16 inch or thicker, below that they tend to slip although I have packed the jaws out to compensation on 1/8 inch sheets.

These are the chaps

Angle Clamps, 4PCS Right Angle Fixing Clip, Multi-function woodworking right angle clamp Adjustable Swing Corner Clamp, Corner Clip Fixer for Welding, Wood-Working, Drilling, Making Cabinets (A) - - Amazon.com

There are other similar brands too.

I have been very happy with TAP; their cutting is accurate and their delivery is fast. They have a good range of other acrylic products like rods, cylinders and shapes. I've used them quite a lot in recent years.

Hope this helps

Alan

23 hours ago, Jack12477 said:

Alan, this is the Woodland Scenics stuff I used to make the snow fo my Sherman tank winter diorama. The paste goes down first then dusted with the snow. Dries pretty flexible and sets pretty quickly.  The snow bottle is also a shaker.

20210710_214641.thumb.jpg.356a414871d59f8148875a9fc995c6d7.jpg

Thanks Jack

I've made a note of this for the next diorama. Woodland Scenics look like a great resource for diorama building. I've been watching Youtubes from Luke Towan (railroader in Australia) and High Eye Workshop in the UK and they do amazing work and make it look extremely easy. I have borrowed / adapted some of their ideas although I find it tougher to get the results than I expected in some cases.

Thanks again

Alan

1 minute ago, king derelict said:

Woodland Scenics look like a great resource for diorama building.

It is ! Their pre-made trees are very good, as are their cast white metal trees. The ground foam works well also.  And yes there are some good videos on YouTube . 

Meanwhile, somewhere in Norway. I added a few more white highlights and stippled white around the margins of the bare patches to blend things together. I think it looks reasonable now, I painted gloss medium into the waterfall gully and dry brushed some more on the ridges to give a bit of sparkle to the snow and ice. Its not very obvious in the photos but I like the effect in most lighting.

982099405_RIMG0215(1280x720).jpg.8dcf2509a9c897b63ac2ed37c3708b1d.jpg

I laid some strips of clear silicone caulk onto a bit of scrap acrylic and spread and shaped it a bit with a cocktail stick and let it dry then peeled it off

694514582_RIMG0217(1280x720).jpg.9f4653cc568f9e602d0babc339619cbf.jpg

Selected pieces were then laid into the gully with white glue to build up the frozen waterfall. Close up it looks quite nice but it is not as noticeable as i thought it might be at a distance.

949298326_RIMG0218(720x1280).thumb.jpg.1bad169a493a4232d77c7a8f72ab47b5.jpg

1569323859_RIMG0221(1280x720).jpg.4b9953cfadec385fed255b83dde60f71.jpg

I then taped the base with masking tape to form a dam ready for the big moment - the resin pour. The bottom of the masking tape was sealed with white glue. Tomorrow is big day!

1257493894_RIMG0223(1280x720)(2).jpg.2330e8b91911814caf4f9a64e291a48c.jpg

On other fronts I received the YX resin 1/700 anchor chain and compared it with the PE supplied with the kit. The size is very similar so I'll look at it on the model and if it doesn't overpower the foredeck I may end up using it.

Thanks for looking

Alan

RIMG0232 (1280x720).jpg

Edited by king derelict
Removed unwanted photos

20 hours ago, CDW said:

Nice!

Hard to believe how realistic the 3D printed chain looks. Technology is something we could not have even dreamed of 10 or 20 years ago.

Thanks Craig. It will be interesting to see if resin supplants PE. The chain was probably no more expensive than a PE fret and the three dimensional look is much nicer. It takes away the PE skills needed and becomes paint and plonk in place but possibly the reality is somewhere in the middle. PE railings look great radar arrays and girders lend themselves to PE. weapons are maybe better in resin. The PE Oerlikons on Kujawiak are fiddly in the extreme and when done you still have a barrel that is noticeably flat instead of round.

Alan