HMS Penelope by King Derelict - FINISHED - Flyhawk - 1/700 - PLASTIC

10 hours ago, Landlubber Mike said:

Fantastic diorama!!  Really well done, congratulations!

Thanks Mike

The diorama was an experiment for me, enjoyable and I am quite pleased with it. Your PE tips and tools suggestions were a big help too

Thanks

Alan

9 hours ago, yvesvidal said:

Superb rendition of a fjord and exquisite model. The water is very tempting but must be too cold for my taste.

Yves

Many Thanks for the kind comments Yves. The resin really made the diorama pop. I was a bit nervous about using it; it has the capability to ruin the whole diorama but I'm glad I tried it.

Thank for the kind comments and support

Alan

Just now, king derelict said:

Thanks for the great comments Craig. I'm still learning a lot as i progress though the builds. The diorama was fun and I would like to do more but they take up room. I need to get a display cabinet or something instead of using individual cases

I hope I can live up to expectations with the Geisenau. It looks like another very detailed Flyhawk kit.

Thanks

Alan

You're going to do great with it I am sure.

I thought the Geisenau had two main guns in each turret instead of three as depicted in the kit, but then again, I am not well read on that particular ship. Perhaps it went through variations in it's career. 

A fine model and dio Alan, and a fitting tribute to this iconic cruiser.

Did you know that C.S. Forester dedicated his book The Ship to the officers and crew of HMS Penelope.

I have a special interest in this ship as my uncle went down with her.  As an ERA and with the ship closed up for action he had little chance of escape.

He had transferred from her sister ship Aurora in December 43 after she was seriously damaged during an air attack.

Such are the fortunes of war.

B.E.

20 hours ago, CDW said:

You're going to do great with it I am sure.

I thought the Geisenau had two main guns in each turret instead of three as depicted in the kit, but then again, I am not well read on that particular ship. Perhaps it went through variations in it's career. 

Hi Craig

I had a quick look on line and the Wiki people and a couple of other sites all show photos of three triple gun turrets on Geisenau so hopefully Flyhawk got it right. As you say - there are refits and I need to read up some more on her history

Thanks

Alan

15 hours ago, Blue Ensign said:

A fine model and dio Alan, and a fitting tribute to this iconic cruiser.

Did you know that C.S. Forester dedicated his book The Ship to the officers and crew of HMS Penelope.

I have a special interest in this ship as my uncle went down with her.  As an ERA and with the ship closed up for action he had little chance of escape.

He had transferred from her sister ship Aurora in December 43 after she was seriously damaged during an air attack.

Such are the fortunes of war.

B.E.

BE, thank you for the very kind comments. I have the utmost respect for the crews of the worlds warships who carried out their duties in the face of explosions, inrushing water and fires. The "black gang" of the engine room were especially vulnerable with all the watertight doors closed and they had no idea what was going on topsides other than the noise. Very much a special breed.

I have a copy of "The Ship" but had forgotten the dedication. Thank you very much for reminding me. I have put it on my pile to reread. Its one of the classic great sea books. Its in my top five of those books with "The Cruel Sea" the outright best for me, and "The sea shall not have them" 

Alan

3 hours ago, king derelict said:

Hi Craig

I had a quick look on line and the Wiki people and a couple of other sites all show photos of three triple gun turrets on Geisenau so hopefully Flyhawk got it right. As you say - there are refits and I need to read up some more on her history

Thanks

Alan

Hope this helps Alan,    found it on the net  shows  the Three barrel turrets.

OC.

g37cvv7fenj41.jpg

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

• The title was changed to HMS Penelope by King Derelict - FINISHED - Flyhawk - 1/700 - PLASTIC