HMS Hood by Old Collingwood - Flyhawk - 1/700 - PLASTIC - After her explosion.

1 minute ago, CDW said:

I would choose the first setup, the compressor with the air tank attached. It's worth the extra money to get that compressor with the air tank.

Would I need a 3 ltr  tank?

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

Great airbrush, that H&S. Practice with spraying water onto a surface to get the feel of operating the brush. Watch some of the videos Ron T posted in this forum:

You're going to like using the brush.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

8 hours ago, Old Collingwood said:

Would I need a 3 ltr  tank?

OC.

The tank smooths out any pressure ripples from the compressor so it's a good thing. I got my first airbrush a year ago and it is a cheaper model but has been reliable. I practiced with water and then paint on scrap plastic. It didn't take long to be able to put a basic, even cost on a model and even that looks much better than hand painting. An early lesson was keeping the airbrush really clean to get good results. I'm still learning how to dilute paints and mix them. I have only used acrylic paint so far. I'm trying to work up the courage to try lacquer etc. I also have to learn finer techniques. I'm a long way from Craig and Greg skill level but I'm getting results I'm happy with. It's definitely worth getting one for getting a good finish on all that incoming PE. This is just the novice perspective so please disregard if it conflicts with advice from the experienced users.

Alan

Thank you all  for the advice  (just what our home here is all about)   I think I will pull the trigger on it.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

Just pulled the trigger on this  - 

Most expensive modeling item I have ever brought.

OC.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/380603061384

Airbrush.jpg

Current builds  

Completed works.

OC, you won't regret it. Practice is paramount, mate.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

3 minutes ago, Canute said:

OC, you won't regret it. Practice is paramount, mate.

Thank  you kindly Ken,   think it will be  reading, videos  and  repeate  till I get to use it, probably on Hood  after  LHS  is finished.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

Great choice OC! You will get a lot of pleasure with the airbrush system.

95% of the problem issues new users experience with airbrush relate to learning the correct ratio of paint to thinner for the particular paint you're using, and keeping the airbrush clean and free of clogs. 

Like Ken said, practice, practice, practice,

Congratulations on your new purchase.

2 minutes ago, CDW said:

Great choice OC! You will get a lot of pleasure with the airbrush system.

95% of the problem issues new users experience with airbrush relate to learning the correct ratio of paint to thinner for the particular paint you're using, and keeping the airbrush clean and free of clogs. 

Like Ken said, practice, practice, practice,

Congratulations on your new purchase.

Thank you Craig,   I will probably lean on you a bit for more tips when I get round to using it.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

and i wasted my money on mine, sparmax compressor and evolution gun, never got a decent result once and not been used since the Bismarck build

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

4 hours ago, Kevin said:

and i wasted my money on mine, sparmax compressor and evolution gun, never got a decent result once and not been used since the Bismarck build

I am hoping that once I know how to set it up  (getting the right pressure  - thiness of the paint)   it will be like an extension of using a brush, where a steady hand will make a lot of difference,     time will tell my friend  - time will tell.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

I am no authority, and certainly not a master but I bought one like this

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BF0MW9G/ref=sspa_dk_detail_3?psc=1&pd_rd_i=B00BF0MW9G&pd_rd_w=k77Pv&pf_rd_p=91afecf5-8b2e-41e2-9f11-dc6992c6eaa1&pd_rd_wg=mlhpu&pf_rd_r=2130XA79DCCNRHF8FFKB&pd_rd_r=93b171ec-6dfa-4507-ae0c-5a0f6c5e1f1e&smid=A23ADOZFIJNPFB&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEzRldTQkpHRjk0T0hWJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwNzEwMjg0MVJYTE9TMlhCRzJUSCZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwNTE3Nzg2MldHOFFMNldMMFFLQSZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX2RldGFpbCZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

A few years ago, back then it was about half that price and may still be if you shop around, and have found that it has been able to do everything that I was able to do and has always been far superior to rattle can if the model has any detail at all. The little compressor is really quite quiet and would be even more so if you close it up inside a cardboard box, or under a blanket. It only runs when you are pulling the trigger. Many people laugh at these little things but I think they are somewhat underrated.

Here is a video that kind of says the same thing but without taking the compressor part into consideration.

The savings in paint cost and volume used will more than pay for the cost of the airbrush over time, 

Good luck

Edited by lmagna

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

4 minutes ago, lmagna said:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BF0MW9G/ref=sspa_dk_detail_3?psc=1&pd_rd_i=B00BF0MW9G&pd_rd_w=k77Pv&pf_rd_p=91afecf5-8b2e-41e2-9f11-dc6992c6eaa1&pd_rd_wg=mlhpu&pf_rd_r=2130XA79DCCNRHF8FFKB&pd_rd_r=93b171ec-6dfa-4507-ae0c-5a0f6c5e1f1e&smid=A23ADOZFIJNPFB&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEzRldTQkpHRjk0T0hWJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwNzEwMjg0MVJYTE9TMlhCRzJUSCZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwNTE3Nzg2MldHOFFMNldMMFFLQSZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX2RldGFpbCZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

A few years ago, back then it was about half that price and may still be if you shop around, and have found that it has been able to do everything that I was able to do and has always been far superior to rattle can if the model has any detail at all. The little compressor is really quite quiet and would be even more so if you close it up inside a cardboard box, or under a blanket. It only runs when you are pulling the trigger. Many people laugh at these little things but I think they are somewhat underrated.

Here is a video that kind of says the same thing but without taking the compressor part into consideration.

Good luck

Thank you kindly for that Lou,    mine arrives next Tue/Wed, but I won't be tempted to play with it till my Waterloo Dio is  finished  (so probably 2023)  Lol

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

I guess that another page of comments and stuff was hidden when I wrote my comment and it was already too late to be of use to you. I can remove it if you want.

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

22 minutes ago, lmagna said:

I guess that another page of comments and stuff was hidden when I wrote my comment and it was already too late to be of use to you. I can remove it if you want.

No its ok Lou,  all info regarding  airbrushes is useful to me  - can't have enough info.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

56 minutes ago, lmagna said:

The savings in paint cost and volume used will more than pay for the cost of the airbrush over time, 

Good luck

Lou

That is the set up I have. I didn't want to invest a lot of money in an expensive set up if it turned out that I wasn't going to be able to use it well. I have had it a year now and it still seems to work well and cleans easily. My skill level is still below the ability of the airbrush so I plan to continue to use it. The compressor is reliable and has a water trap and pressure gauge. My only issue is the tiny o seal on the nozzle got chewed up after removing and replacing too many times during cleaning and I cannot find a replacement. I bought a new nozzle for $5 which had an o seal attached and I try not to remove the nozzle for every cleaning now

Alan

4 hours ago, Old Collingwood said:

Thank you kindly for that Lou,    mine arrives next Tue/Wed, but I won't be tempted to play with it till my Waterloo Dio is  finished  (so probably 2023)  Lol

OC.

Pity that it'll just sit in the box, OC.  What about using it for the base coat of the uniforms?   <nudge, nudge, wink, wink>  

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

4 minutes ago, mtaylor said:

Pity that it'll just sit in the box, OC.  What about using it for the base coat of the uniforms?   <nudge, nudge, wink, wink>  

Could do the primer  I guess   - and  flat clear top coats  - never thought of that  - thank  you Mark.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

4 minutes ago, Old Collingwood said:

Could do the primer  I guess   - and  flat clear top coats  - never thought of that  - thank  you Mark.

OC.

I think that's a good approach.  You'll at least get to learn to use the airbrush sooner.  I'm glad you liked the idea.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

14 minutes ago, mtaylor said:

I think that's a good approach.  You'll at least get to learn to use the airbrush sooner.  I'm glad you liked the idea.

Good one  - thanks mate.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

I'm really looking forward to following your build OC and am sure you'll be impressed with the results of the paint job using the airbrush.

I've just ordered my Flyhawk Hood (yesterday) together with wood deck, paint mask and Flyhawk stand from Hobby Easy in Hong Kong.

Sometime ago I bought the Flyhawk stand for Bismarck which is really nice - here's a pic of it with the Meng Bismarck to give an idea what it would look like with your1/700 Hood.

20210731_090756.jpg

7 hours ago, RogerF said:

I'm really looking forward to following your build OC and am sure you'll be impressed with the results of the paint job using the airbrush.

I've just ordered my Flyhawk Hood (yesterday) together with wood deck, paint mask and Flyhawk stand from Hobby Easy in Hong Kong.

Sometime ago I bought the Flyhawk stand for Bismarck which is really nice - here's a pic of it with the Meng Bismarck to give an idea what it would look like with your1/700 Hood.

20210731_090756.jpg

That looks Superb, I will be pleased if mine turns out half as good as that.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

3 hours ago, Old Collingwood said:

That looks Superb, I will be pleased if mine turns out half as good as that.

OC.

I presume you mean the stand and not the model!!!

The Meng kit is pretty rudimentary and is a 'snap-together' kit moulded in multi coloured plastic parts needing no glue or paint - so, as seen in the pic has been built out of the box completely unpainted. I bought and built it to help me familiarise myself with the ship's architecture and give me experience working in 1/700 scale before embarking on Flyhawk's far superior Bismarck..... but then their Hood suddenly became available.......!

The stand on the other hand is two layers of acrylic glass - clear and black complete with delightful screen-printed name and ship silhouette and will do the finished item proud. I just have to decide how to attach the ship to the stand (the Meng has a plastic base as can be seen).

Edited by RogerF
Typo

Hi all,    just thinking and planning in advance of getting my airbrush kit this week,  I assume a kind of spray booth would be useful if not essential?   would I get away with making a cardboard box type with floor/sides/back/part roof  but with a cut out to allow my  lamp  coverage to illuminate the thing being sprayed, also  I assume spraying Acrylics in a living room will not cause any issues of spray vapour  flying about causing us problems, I know I have seen some people where a mask (what's one of them lol)  when actually sparying.

Any ideas folks?

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

Whether you buy one pre-made, or make one yourself, you will want it to have lights, a turn table, and a fan that vents the air to blow outside your window using ductwork as seen in this item advertisement from Amazon.

Amazon.com: VIVOHOME Portable Airbrush Paint Spray Booth Kit with 3 LED Lights Turn Table and Filter Hose for Model Cake Craft Nail Toy Part

12 minutes ago, CDW said:

Whether you buy one pre-made, or make one yourself, you will want it to have lights, a turn table, and a fan that vents the air to blow outside your window using ductwork as seen in this item advertisement from Amazon.

Amazon.com: VIVOHOME Portable Airbrush Paint Spray Booth Kit with 3 LED Lights Turn Table and Filter Hose for Model Cake Craft Nail Toy Part

That would be a bit tricky the venting  side of things,  I do sit next to our open door leading into our garden/yard  and and I have my  table light that is more than strong enough that  is adjustable in height and reach, as long as that can  peer over the top of the box - it will be ample light.

I am trying to do it  without any expense as I  have been giving my wallet some serious knocking and its starting to

complain.

Oh  - I have seen  turntables for a few quid on flea bay.

OC.

Edited by Old Collingwood

Current builds  

Completed works.