0.016 iron rod

I’m currently working on the Model Shipways 1:64 Charles W Morgan and there are a number of places where iron rod is needed to fashion fittings. In particular the plans call for chain plates to be fashioned from 0.016” iron rod — and I have no clue re where to get any of that. Or any other small diameter wire/iron rod suitable for shaping fittings. In some cases I’m going to have to solder the parts I need to create and I’m just learning how to do that.  

If you have some resources for this kind of thing it would sure help me. Many thanks. 

Tom in NC

tomhoxie@aol.com

Use Brass wire.  It can be annealed to bend the chain plates and other parts.  It comes in many sizes and can be found in hobby shops, craft stores and on-line.  It is easily soldered.

Kurt Van Dahm

Director

NAUTICAL RESEARCH GUILD

www.thenrg.org

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS

CLUBS

Nautical Research & Model Ship Society of Chicago

Midwest Model Shipwrights

North Shore Deadeyes

The Society of Model Shipwrights

Butch O'Hare - IPMS

You can also use 26 gage (0.0159" Ø) copper wire and blacken it with liver of sulfur in situ as it will not stain the wood should it touch it.   It is very easy to soft solder where as brass is sometimes (not always) best done with silver solder for strength.  Be sure you get uncoated, be it brass or copper.  You can get a 30 yard spool on line for under $3. 

Allan 

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

I would also recommend semi soft silver wire which can be purchased online in multiple gauges. I find it stronger than a lot of craft wire. You have to silver solder it instead of soft solder but you get a stronger end product. It blackens nicely and can be flattened or shaped to make parts such as latches and hinges.

Completed scratch build: The armed brig "Badger" 1777

Current scratch build: The 36 gun frigate "Unite" 1796

Completed kits: Mamoli "Alert", Caldercraft "Sherbourne"

Tom,

By specifying “iron rod” the kits instructions are trying to tell you not to leave these as shiny brass as seen on so many otherwise nicely done kits.  They should be blackened to look like iron.  You will have to touch up solder with flat black paint.

Roger

McMaster-Carr is a good supplier of materials, fasteners, tools, etc. We have used it in our business for decades, and I get some of my hobby materials there too:

https://www.mcmaster.com/

The  web site is easy to navigate, and that's good because I think they used to say they have more than a hundred thousand items!

I LOVE McMaster Carr, have also used it for decades at work and home.  I used to live 10 minutes from their DC in NJ and would go pick up orders the same day or next day.  The only thing I have not used then for is copper wire as I found smaller quantities at a better price on line.  Overall though they cannot be beat in quality, service and price compared to hobby shops and even hardware stores in most cases.  Grainger is another good source and they are worth a look as well.

Allan

Edited by allanyed

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

Rick,

I have tried piano wire but I can not easily solder or blacken it in my experience.  Plus, it is carbon steel so will rust if not blackened or otherwise treated.  How do you blacken it and solder/weld the ends and keep it from rusting?   Maybe worth another try. 

Thanks

Allan

Use a hardened cutter on piano wire. It will curl the edges of the cutters we use for brass and copper wire, making them useless afterwards.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

Model Railroaders swear on phosphor bronze over brass wire, It bends without anealing, and is not brittle like brass wire can be. It is used for handrails and grab irons. I have no idea if it can be blackened, but it does take paint well.