HMCS Snowberry by Hsae - Revell - 1/72 - PLASTIC

Hello Everyone,

This is my attempt to build the Flower Class corvette HMCS Snowberry (1/72)  in the May 1943 configuration (after Charleston, SC refit)

And yes, again a Snowberry.

I am working on the old Revell / Matchbox kit, unfortunately not the newer Platinum version. 
The following aftermarket photoetch & 3d printed parts will be used:

David J. Parkins, Great Little Ships

https://www.djparkins.com/home.php?cat=303&sort=orderby&sort_direction=0&page=3

- Flower Class deck & fitting set

- Flower Class Corvette type “C” Bridge

- Funnel and Mast Set

- 9” Scuttle set

- robe rails (stations)

- 4” gun Mark IX

- 2pdr. Pom-Pom Gun

- 20 mm Oerlikon guns

- Hedgehog

Micro Masters

https://micromaster.co.nz/

- 14’ Drifter Dinghys

- Depth Charge Rails

- Depth Charge Thrower

- 10” signaling projector

- 4” gun (maybe)

XY Models 

distributed by Hobby Easy https://www.hobbyeasy.com/en/category/SHP/20/1/maker/YXN.html"

- 3D printed Anchor chain

Archer Resin Surface Details

https://archertransfers.com/SurfaceDetailsMain.html

- Resin Rivets

HGW Models

https://hgwmodels.cz/en/

- Resin Rivets 

H&B Hobbies

https://www.hbhobbies.com/

- RN Colorcoats paints 

Hecker & Goros Zinnfiguren

http://www.hecker-goros.de/products - 1-72.htm

- Royal Navy 1939-1945

Gunthwaite Miniatures

distributed by Halifax Modellversuch World https://www.halifaxmodellersworld.co.uk/gunthwaite-miniatures-238-c.asp

- British and Commonwealth Seamen

Accurate Model Part (AMP)

https://amp.rokket.biz/

- Ensign Flag

Looking forward to comments and feedback and here we go …

Fantastic work on the sea - looks fantastic!  

Hope you don't mind me following your log.  I have this kit (I think I might have the Platinum edition which includes a wooden deck and some PE upgrades) along with the Parkins upgrades.  I also have the Revell 1:144 version with the Pontos upgrade.  Was thinking of doing the 1:144 as the Snowberry and the 1:72 as the USS Saucy just to mix it up a bit.  Interestingly, I found an electronic copy of the old Matchbox kit instructions which covered the Saucy along with the Snowberry and Bluebell.  Seems that the Revell kit -- which my version only includes the Snowberry and Campanula -- might include the Saucy pieces, which I think were only a few minor differences in the bridge and then a different rear gun platform (putting aside numbering and other decal-type differences).

Otherwise, I might try to build both as USS ships.  There are some cool ships like the USS Fury, USS Restless, and USS Tenacity.  Just a matter of doing the research and trying to figure out what the differences are, which is probably easier said than done.

Edited by Landlubber Mike

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

1 minute ago, Hsae said:

Thank you guys for the “likes” and the input.

I am still not entirely happy with the looks. 
Do you think the hull is riding to high?

From the pictures, it looks pretty good to me.  Hard to tell how low the stern is in the water but overall I would say it's looking great or at least very close.  I know there are some people that are sticklers on this who hopefully will give their thoughts.

Can I ask - in cutting the bottom as you did, I see there is an open hole in the bottom.  My guess is that the hole would be perfectly fine using your sea approach of a styrofoam base.  I'd probably be a little nervous with a hole if using liquid resin to create the sea.  I have been thinking about sea approaches for some of my models, and have always wondered about cutting the bottom of the hull as you did.

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

39 minutes ago, Landlubber Mike said:

Fantastic work on the sea - looks fantastic!  

Hope you don't mind me following your log.  I have this kit (I think I might have the Platinum edition which includes a wooden deck and some PE upgrades) along with the Parkins upgrades.  I also have the Revell 1:144 version with the Pontos upgrade.  Was thinking of doing the 1:144 as the Snowberry and the 1:72 as the USS Saucy just to mix it up a bit.  Interestingly, I found an electronic copy of the old Matchbox kit instructions which covered the Saucy along with the Snowberry and Bluebell.  Seems that the Revell kit -- which my version only includes the Snowberry and Campanula -- might include the Saucy pieces, which I think were only a few minor differences in the bridge and then a different rear gun platform (putting aside numbering and other decal-type differences).

Otherwise, I might try to build both as USS ships.  There are some cool ships like the USS Fury, USS Restless, and USS Tenacity.  Just a matter of doing the research and trying to figure out what the differences are, which is probably easier said than done.

Funny thing. The kit I have has the “Saucy” in it. I bought the kit many, many years ago. Lol

The shaded parts are not needed for the “Snowberry “ maybe for another ship?

A6D7127B-23BE-4086-A7B9-80C4423EEBC5.jpeg

86AF5C32-AADB-4CF7-84C2-794E42295BDE.jpeg

Edited by Hsae

Preparation of the hull / deck:

- sanding the entire hull 

- sanding down the bow / stem bar to a sharp point

- sanding down the keel

don’t need to replace the bilge keels and the propeller because you can’t see them (less work for me)

sanding down all the decks for accepting the brass deck from Great Little Ships (GLS)

0C86D931-623A-4519-BCA1-75AC7C7D9AFE.jpeg

9A2FC5F6-739B-4E42-B066-9287D5974985.jpeg

F37E365C-F8CC-4198-BDED-CFCBBDF85B79.jpeg

315D9440-E891-4FCD-B8AC-E87BE75CA1B3.jpeg

CB354AC9-404F-46FA-817F-1A175FF1F28D.jpeg

Nice work with the sanding down of the hull and deck.  I have to say, when I saw that GLS suggests you do that, I almost didn't get the kit!  It will be all downhill (in a good way) from there!

Thanks for posting those pictures from the instructions.  Very helpful!  Here are some of the color profiles from the old Matchbox instructions.  I'm happy to delete them if you don't want them cluttering up your log (if so, my apologies in advance!).  The instructions also show the minor differences in the parts construction here and there - happy to send or post them here if you'd like to see.

PK-901-3-10.jpg.d9f1b239a3bf77f44b803b07af88500a.jpg

PK-901-3-11.jpg.afb5792ffa1db9f18235fad0c414073f.jpg

PK-901-3-12.jpg.bee07e3e0844224985794a7b20ccfcfe.jpg

PK-901-3-13.jpg.3f92d9b823ff945495a7586743fd33c5.jpg

PK-901-3-14.jpg.560860e37c65890b819208c8048bf0ea.jpg

PK-901-3-15.jpg.bf2da563bca63c9751e2a252360a18b4.jpg

PK-901-3-26.jpg.8d174d2a2331caab53b775f1a4460c62.jpg

PK-901-3-27.jpg.556b2baf0d6bf9409cfb3a3d8a29a202.jpg

PK-901-3-28.jpg.d5eb549491cf715b18384fca9385b866.jpg

PK-901-3-56.jpg.06d115ed2ab7d9b5583b49e4baed12cb.jpg

PK-901-3-57.jpg.4b5999bbca956727af3024b53c3fa1e5.jpg

PK-901-3-58.jpg.5d979dc9bf325ec2d659d5896dbcc09a.jpg

Edited by Landlubber Mike

Mike

Yeah not sure about the colors.  Here is a picture I found of the Saucy - the camo looks a little different from the Matchbox instructions (maybe it was repainted at some point).

1146747664_USSSaucy.JPG.2acefd8df62b6d51fc881dbe75f8a30e.JPG

Mike

12 minutes ago, Hsae said:

This one is just as she got back to the RN, renamed to HMS Snapdragon (K 73), 1945

Note the different weapons.

5B20DEAD-4049-4072-99ED-0503E937E09E.jpeg

Thanks for posting that.  Interesting!  And prior to it's designation as the USS Saucy, it was the HMS Arabis:

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/theflowerclasscorvetteforums/viewtopic.php?t=670

Mike

Yep. Bottom line is do your research. Find as much info about your ship at a certain time you can get. During wartime ships upgraded in weapons and were repainted quite often.

In my case I am building the HMCS Snowberry, because there are some good photos on the web.

But I am still missing a layout drawing. I think a good source would have been the booklet  Warship Perspectives: Flower Class Corvettes in World War Two. But unfortunately it is out of print for a long time. I do know that there are some photos / drawings in it.

This is the only RC model warship I ever built. Mine was one of the Matchbox kits from the first release. A 1/72nd kit of this type of ship was unheard of at that time. She had many years of running true North Atlantic conditions on a number of my local lakes and a few not so local. The model has been retired for some time now but still sits a little the worst for wear on a shelf in the basement.:( My build outside of the RC conversion was of course out of the box as there was no after market at the time.

I think that if you look a little closer at the pictures of the Saucy, you will see pretty much two periods. The " Snapdragon" picture is of the saucy as she looked when handed over to the US with the 4"/50 and shield forward and the two pounder AA gun mounted in the amidships tub with searchlight platform. It also has the British style radar lantern aft of the bridge.

In the picture supplied by Mike it looks like the forward 4" gun mount has been completely removed and replaced with a 3", (?) American open mount. The  AA tub and searchlight had been completely removed from the boiler casing and a quad .50 mount put in it's place but without the tub. A new American style tub is installed at the very end and another open 3", (?) installed. Also in this picture the lantern style radar has been removed and replaced with what looks to be a searchlight platform and the crows nest on the mast is also gone. The mast looks like it has been reinforced to hold a more modern US radar. As this is a wartime photo it is possible that the radar and some of the other mast or gun details have been cropped out of the picture for security reasons. 

With more time, better pictures, and eyesight there are possibly other things to be picked out but in my humble opinion the "Snapdragon" picture is in reality the Arabis just after being handed over to the US. There would have been no real reason to return the Saucy back to British configuration in 1945.

I think that if I was to build this kit again I would be sorely tempted to build her as the Sackville. Plenty of documented material there! :D

As for the stern not being low enough in the "water", I think I would have to agree with you. The stance you put her into is very similar to the original Matchbox box art:

Boxart Flower Class Corvette PK-901 Matchbox

And if you look there is no boot top showing aft.  But then that is a painting and if you are off at all it is only very slightly. Instead of lowering the hull you could build up the wave at the stern instead and get pretty much the same effect.

Also you could look here in case you feel you have not spent enough money so far: https://distefano3dprint.com/collections/uss-saucy-pg-65-flower-class-corvette :ph34r:

Looking forward to following your build. It is very impressive so far and it is just started. 

Edited by lmagna

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

Thank you all for the likes!

Working on improving the kit with mixed results. I was trying to add the additional opening in the connection between wheelhouse and the galley. And I messed it up. I did choose the wrong bit. After changing to a different bit it was easy. Live & learn!

86DD93B4-6C52-4EF0-A9FD-A1604A2899A6.jpeg

ECD6A7D5-6ABF-4713-8FF2-42B5326275B0.jpeg

BAEDD112-BBB8-4417-B897-794C9366AA7C.jpeg

Edited by Hsae

2 hours ago, Hsae said:

Yep. Bottom line is do your research. Find as much info about your ship at a certain time you can get. During wartime ships upgraded in weapons and were repainted quite often.

In my case I am building the HMCS Snowberry, because there are some good photos on the web.

But I am still missing a layout drawing. I think a good source would have been the booklet  Warship Perspectives: Flower Class Corvettes in World War Two. But unfortunately it is out of print for a long time. I do know that there are some photos / drawings in it.

Ensign 3 - Flower class Corvettes by Anthony Preston and Alan Raven has drawings for Buttercup and Begonia.

Mike