HMCS Snowberry by Hsae - Revell - 1/72 - PLASTIC

1 hour ago, Hsae said:

Thanks Yves.

One thing I don’t understand with your model is, why didn’t have the hull rivets? I would think that is an easy task when you draft the hull. And I would assume the printer doesn’t have a problem with it.

Herman,

I suspect that the kit designer did not bother with re-creating a perfect and precise model. His goal was to offer a Radio Controlled Corvette, that would look from a distance, as a decent generic Corvette. Instead, he used welding lines to delineate the various panels on the hull since Corvette used both Rivets and Welding for the hull assembly. 

I think that sometimes, rivets tend to distract from the overall appearance of a model, and can be over emphasized. A rivet in the scale of 1/48 or 1/72 is not bigger than the tip of a small nail.

Yves

6 hours ago, Hsae said:

I got today my flags from AMP (Accurate Model Parts). They look pretty good. However, you have to be patient to get them. I ordered them beginning of June!

0449C3F5-22F1-43DB-B83D-5883FA35A897.jpeg

Watch out   for the  fraying  - I  painted mine over with PVA  first,  before trimming.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

On 8/3/2021 at 6:48 PM, Hsae said:

The quality of the GLS parts are outstanding.

The quality of your work is outstanding! The parts only allow the possibility.

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

I started to do the portholes to fill with Micro Kristal Klear ( thank you Yves, I almost forgot that I have it!). You can use it also on say plexiglass / acrylic glass sheets, if you have scratches on it (I ruined it with “regular” super glue), you put it on and the scratches disappear like magic.

What I noticed is, that the scuttles are not very well glued to the hull. But it is too late now to fix it. I discover too late the right glue for it (thin super glue). The “glass” from the kit is not usable, IMO.

CB32D5B1-EEF3-4F3E-844D-58FFFACF8366.jpeg

7A75057E-68E1-43BD-BF24-5230F6FCDF6F.jpeg

60A07428-3773-443C-A00A-5B96282B373C.jpeg

160DDFB6-62E7-4E76-B28F-3ECAD4F2359B.jpeg

Edited by Hsae

The best glue at this time is “thin” and “rubberized” super glue. You can clean it up with a brush and Cyanoacrylate remover. 
Also I discovered a nice putty, Vallejo Plastic Putty. The excess can be easily removed with a brush and water. Excellent for filling small gabs.

BC8AA372-6FA3-49BA-A305-C8867652A930.jpeg

CFC0BBE4-CCAA-4854-8694-2217F96DF9BC.jpeg

16 minutes ago, Hsae said:

I started to do the portholes to fill with Micro Kristal Klear ( thank you Yves, I almost forgot that I have it!). You can use it also on say plexiglass sheets, if you have scratches on it. If you put it on the scratches disappear like magic.

Funny you did this... I was doing the exact same thing on my Corvette, too.

Yves

On 8/4/2021 at 9:18 PM, Old Collingwood said:

Watch out   for the  fraying  - I  painted mine over with PVA  first,  before trimming.

OC.

When I did sails on my Badger, I used this anti-fray product from Aleene.  It’s probably a diluted white glue that dries clear.  Paint it on the edges, then you can cut them out with scissors, etc.  Worked really well.

image.jpeg.79c14a740f5be00d370bda7645948788.jpeg

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

On 8/8/2021 at 8:15 AM, Hsae said:

The best glue at this time is “thin” and “rubberized” super glue. You can clean it up with a brush and Cyanoacrylate remover. 
Also I discovered a nice putty, Vallejo Plastic Putty. The excess can be easily removed with a brush and water. Excellent for filling small gabs.

BC8AA372-6FA3-49BA-A305-C8867652A930.jpeg

CFC0BBE4-CCAA-4854-8694-2217F96DF9BC.jpeg

Does that solvent impact the styrene at all?  I’ve always been a little nervous about using something like that to remove excess CA.  Usually I just scrape it off.

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

On 8/12/2021 at 11:56 AM, Landlubber Mike said:

Does that solvent impact the styrene at all?  I’ve always been a little nervous about using something like that to remove excess CA.  Usually I just scrape it off.

I didn’t notice that. But you should always try it on a scrap piece.

I just remove super glue overflow with it. Using a flat brush, moist with the solvent. Works very well.

Edited by Hsae

• 6 months later...

It has been a while since I last posted something. My apologies! But that is the nice thing with this hobby, you can leave it for a while and start again later. 
Well, small progress. I weathered the hull and placed it into the “water”. I final finished the deck and installed the degaussing cables. I don’t know if they where around at the time (1943), but I thought it is a nice feature.

5ACF812E-D567-4E4F-B6C3-6012C7F1F772.jpeg

73A74D67-0505-44AB-800D-EB588B6429C8.jpeg

DBB55562-DE9D-4D8A-974E-6BD290DB3304.jpeg

Edited by Hsae

wow the water looks fantastic

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

1 hour ago, Hsae said:

Thanks Kevin!

is that a Vanguard class

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

Vanguard was my last sea going home for two years, left her in 2010

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

Finished     

Wow, that’s quite interesting. 
I do have some questions for you, if you don’t mind.

What kind of equipment have they extended typically when they are surfaced. Besides radar. And what color did they have?

I don’t know if I got the “tiling” right, what do you think? 
And how many sailer where on the “bridge” typically?

0EE52B17-5351-45D4-ABDB-083F6128823D.jpeg

048C9BF2-BAB5-403C-BDC6-09528C124876.jpeg

in normal conditions, one officer and two look outs, entering and leaving port it could be the captain with 3 or four others

mast were again dependant on conditions with scopes up for navigation, wt for contact  might have radar and maybe an induction mast slightly raised, 

some hand rails were put up to help with health and safety, 

tiles they always looked ok going out after maintenance, but always came back with some missing, never looked black (but should be), always looked very dark grey, 

here she is in 2007 passing Helensburugh going out on patrol, with the other crew (my photo)

1106290357_200711nov16thvanguardtoindextransport(2).thumb.JPG.23b7d45ad90bbcaf8ef72223b2b9f134.JPG

not my photos

Vanguard at Faslane 03.jpgSee the source imageSee the source image

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

Finished     

They are  Huge.....

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

where they  inside  Kevin.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

the old Polaris SSBN were about 8,000 tons the same more or less as the County class destroyers, Polaris (UK nuclear programme) - Wikipedia

the trident are about 16,000, 

planned Dreadnaught will be about 19,000

the layout in Trident is quite strange ( messy) in the forward section as  it  has an extra deck level compared to the American designed Missile compartment

personally i preferred the older Polaris class

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

Finished     

12 hours ago, Kevin said:

in normal conditions, one officer and two look outs, entering and leaving port it could be the captain with 3 or four others

mast were again dependant on conditions with scopes up for navigation, wt for contact  might have radar and maybe an induction mast slightly raised, 

some hand rails were put up to help with health and safety, 

tiles they always looked ok going out after maintenance, but always came back with some missing, never looked black (but should be), always looked very dark grey, 

here she is in 2007 passing Helensburugh going out on patrol, with the other crew (my photo)

1106290357_200711nov16thvanguardtoindextransport(2).thumb.JPG.23b7d45ad90bbcaf8ef72223b2b9f134.JPG

not my photos

Vanguard at Faslane 03.jpgSee the source imageSee the source image

Thanks Kevin, appreciated! 

I will see if I can squeeze  one officer and two lockouts on the bridge.