HMCS Snowberry by Hsae - Revell - 1/72 - PLASTIC

Lou, 3D printing is the Holy Grail, if you have the money. Although not much modeling anymore. The challenge is to paint it right.

Actually, I played with the idea to build the Sackville, but decided to build the Snowberry instead. Oh well, maybe in 1/144 at one time.

BTW, I have to agree. I will work on lowering the hull. Thanks for your opinion.

Edited by Hsae

i was building this and just got bored with it, it now sits on the shelf of doom, i presume it is because i could not live upto the standards i was following by @Toolmaker, and the pure dread that i would have to break out the airbrush

IMG_5131.JPG

IMG_5114.JPG

Edited by Kevin

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

That was looking really nice  - shame you don't continue it Kevin.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

6 hours ago, EdS said:

Interesting build, here in Halifax we have her sister the Sackville, the last surviving corvette. https://hmcssackville.ca/  Looking forward to see how it goes.

Actually, I am still debating if I am not building the Sackville. Didn’t have a chance to come to Halifax yet to see her in person.

Thanks for the link!

Hermann

Edited by Hsae

On 6/15/2021 at 10:23 AM, Landlubber Mike said:

Fantastic work on the sea - looks fantastic!  

Hope you don't mind me following your log.  I have this kit (I think I might have the Platinum edition which includes a wooden deck and some PE upgrades) along with the Parkins upgrades.  I also have the Revell 1:144 version with the Pontos upgrade.  Was thinking of doing the 1:144 as the Snowberry and the 1:72 as the USS Saucy just to mix it up a bit.  Interestingly, I found an electronic copy of the old Matchbox kit instructions which covered the Saucy along with the Snowberry and Bluebell.  Seems that the Revell kit -- which my version only includes the Snowberry and Campanula -- might include the Saucy pieces, which I think were only a few minor differences in the bridge and then a different rear gun platform (putting aside numbering and other decal-type differences).

Otherwise, I might try to build both as USS ships.  There are some cool ships like the USS Fury, USS Restless, and USS Tenacity.  Just a matter of doing the research and trying to figure out what the differences are, which is probably easier said than done.

Mike, at the weekend I visited the Victory ship in Tampa. https://www.americanvictory.org/
They had the Saucy as a model on display. I believe the 4” gun is not correct. If I am not mistake, shouldn’t it be a US Navy gun? Also the mast doesn’t look right.

B5D6B23D-2B6A-4A72-85A9-64081E106BB5.jpeg

9B3F44A8-E2E6-4FFB-9DD3-AAE24431CC2B.jpeg

3C85FF72-F9EC-4E51-8AAD-A5224D88570E.jpeg

0355E985-F3A7-4AF0-9B30-7B59EEA0BF18.jpeg

Edited by Hsae

Thanks for posting those pictures, really appreciate it!  The model seems to be in the configuration of the Matchbox kit, and from what I can tell, might be consistent with this picture below from May 1942, a month after HMS Arabis was transferred to the US and renamed as the Saucy:

image.png.df2c5ef2ea60bf281554ee39fe8ff2df.png

The picture above is from the link below, a great summary with profiles of some of the US flower corvettes:

http://www.cbrnp.com/RNP/Flower/ARTICLES/USN_Flowers.htm

From that link, a suggestion that the Saucy later was reconfigured as shown in your last picture: 

The first batch of US Flowers replaced the forward Mk.IX 4" gun with a US 4" gun with no shield, and the 2pdr in the bandstand aft was replaced by a 3"/50 in a new location at the extreme end of the engine room casing. US SG radar eventually replaced the RN Type 271 radar. The later ships carried 3"/50 guns both fore and aft.

Since I have both the 1/144 and 1/72 kits, I'd prefer not to build both as the Snowberry (I can also build the HMS Campanula with my 1/72 version).  Also, I seem to like torturing myself by not building OOB, so I'd like to convert one (or both) to US corvettes.  The Saucy seems the easiest conversion, particularly with the 1/72 kit which I believe has the extra parts for it.  But, given the relatively lack of pictures and plans, and the need to get lettering and other decals, I don't know if I will go through with that idea.  

Would be fun to also do the USS Fury...

2049760097_USSFury.JPG.a09a74da68c3b893d8d258081fcb1fb3.JPG

...or the USS Tenacity in either of her camo schemes:

1555383516_USSTenacity7(June1942).jpg.57f1a7fed269f3c3293ef9890167d746.jpg

1198000932_USSTenacity1.jpg.819c27f8becc2ad171f3cab6dfed24bd.jpg

The USS Intensity would require a lot of scratch building given that the ship was based on the modified endurance version of the flower class corvette:

image.png.6945dd12386f1f02c4e4d2859945e468.png

Edited by Landlubber Mike

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

I received today a package from Great Little Ships.

- Flower Class Corvette Deck and Fittings Set

- Flower Class Corvette Type ‘C’ Bridge Set

I am amazed about the “white metal” quality. I was looking forward to it with mixed feelings.

Keeps me busy for a while. Lol

D5E68013-CAD9-4D0A-821C-81C32EB61A98.jpeg

18760F44-40AF-419F-B05E-67B0FD74FA4F.jpeg

C6A4F200-CEE4-4F90-98D6-5A6D71801826.jpeg

9B6C5835-D17E-4F71-95FA-03BB3F9E820B.jpeg

Edited by Hsae

9 minutes ago, Hsae said:

I am amazed about the “white metal” quality. I was looking forward to it with mixed feelings.

Were you disappointed with the poor quality of the cast parts or are they what you expected?

Kurt Van Dahm

Director

NAUTICAL RESEARCH GUILD

www.thenrg.org

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS

CLUBS

Nautical Research & Model Ship Society of Chicago

Midwest Model Shipwrights

North Shore Deadeyes

The Society of Model Shipwrights

Butch O'Hare - IPMS

I have the package too and was pleasantly surprised about the quality.  

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

Tonight I was starting to “pop out” the rivets. First I tried a rivet tool, but that was a little bit too tricky. After that I did it with an automatic center punch tool. You can see the results below. The lightly rivets were made with the rivers tool. Top row. Unfortunately not very good visible.  I do think that the rivets with the punch are a little bit too heavy.

AEE97441-A93D-4B71-A985-075B0E0D599A.jpeg

E83EF858-82C2-4620-96E7-0B25FEDBE2D1.jpeg

Edited by Hsae

Given the scale of the model, I think the smaller the rivets, the better.  But, that's just me. 

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

i used the same punch but removed the spring and just used my palm to push down

IMG_4811.JPG

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

Mark, I have to agree.

Kevin, since you are way ahead of me, I appreciate your input!

To remove the spring might be the solution. I did put the spring on the lowest tension though, but it is still too much. Live & Learn!

I did try the rivet tool again this morning and I think it looks much better.

F6F8F4F9-0EF4-4C05-B669-6E3C6995E039.jpeg

Edited by Hsae

Thank you for all the likes and comments!

Tonight I was working on cutting more deck planks. I have 3.25 mm wide x 0.5 mm thick cherry strips which have been to wide for scale decking. I had to cut them down to roughly 2.5 mm wide planks. Which was easier than I thought. I stuck them together with tape to cut the whole bundle. Worked fine for me.

70664FAC-F088-4803-83E8-455C049FCFA1.jpeg

FC6DB814-7C5E-4DE4-9D03-5E7B6646998A.jpeg

B14348E7-C827-46A0-8BF1-F835E22C3013.jpeg

Edited by Hsae

I love the look of the natural wood - nice job!  My kit is one of the later editions which includes a wooden deck.  I asked Parkins about using it, and he thought it would be better to paint the PE deck instead.  Personally, I would prefer actual wood rather than trying to replicate it at this scale with paint.

Edited by Landlubber Mike

Mike

Mike, I agree. The only problem with wooden decks is, to find wood with very fine grain.

Btw, I think the brass deck is not accurate because according to my sources (photos) there was only one plank next to each other, not multiple in line like at the brass deck. Which actually makes sense considering the corvettes have been built in small shipyards under deadline pressure. They for sure didn’t have time for fancy woodwork. As you can see in the photo, there is only one plank running from front to back. At least how I see it.

C0C111A5-BB95-4C3A-BC30-75C184F695C6.jpeg

Edited by Hsae