Pz.Kpfw 1 Aust F Early by King Derelict - Flyhawk 1/72

10 hours ago, Egilman said:

This is an American marked tank..... It doesn't have the playing card flash on the tail panels, The French were the only ones to put it there...

The colors and camo pattern is French as they came from the factory painted that way...

GS Patton jr in 1918 (he commanded the field portion of the Tank Corps in France) set up the marking scheme for US tanks....

This below is part of the order he circulated....

Tanks:

In addition to its registration number, any battle tank carries two brands which one can distinguish the Battalion Group

or the Group or the Company or the tank and in the Group or the Company, battery or section of tank. The brand of the Group or Company is formed by a cartridge as defined below:

Group 1 or 1st Company - circle 25 cm in diameter.

Group 2 or 2nd Company - square 25 cm in diameter.

Group 3 or 3rd Company - Triangle 25 cm in diameter.

Group 4 or 4th Company - Diamond 25 cm in diameter.

The cartridges are painted in white on each side of the tank in half of the upper rear panel.

The brand of battery or Section consists of an Ace inscribed in a circle of 15 cm, painted black in the center of the cartridge after the rule below:

Battery 1 or Section 1 - Ace of Spades

Battery 2 or Section 2 - Ace of Hearts

Battery 3 or Section 3 - Ace of Diamonds

Reserve (Section d’echelon) - Ace of Clubs

French Renault FT units were organised in : Régiment - Bataillon - Compagnie - Section

In addition, they would paint a small number next to the designation marking signifying which tank in the section it was....

So Tank #II in the sheet of schemes above is marked for the 426th tank battalion, 4th company, 3rd section, Tank #1.....

Not all American tanks were marked like this but the ones in Patton's command were...

Wow, great info. Thanks 

Second impression 

20210706_083436.thumb.jpg.d10fec7fec9eabdfc0cd0c338238f426.jpg

Edited by Backer

Regards, Patrick

Finished :  Soleil Royal Heller 1/100   Wasa Billing Boats   Bounty Revell 1/110 plastic (semi scratch)   Pelican / Golden Hind  1/45 scratch

Current build :  Mary Rose 1/50 scratch

Gallery Revell Bounty  Pelican/Golden hind 1/45 scratch

To do Prins Willem Corel, Le Tonnant Corel, Yacht d'Oro Corel, Thermopylae Sergal 

Shore leave,  non ship models build logs :  

ADGZ M35 funkwagen 1/72    Einhets Pkw. Kfz.2 and 4 1/72   Autoblinda AB40 1/72   122mm A-19 & 152mm ML-20 & 12.8cm Pak.44 {K8 1/2} 1/72   10.5cm Howitzer 16 on Mark. VI(e)  Centurion Mk.1 conversion   M29 Weasel 1/72     SAM6 1/72    T26 Finland  T26 TN 1/72  Autoprotetto S37 1/72     Opel Blitz buses 1/72  Boxer and MAN trucks 1/72   Hetzer38(t) Starr 1/72    

Si vis pacem, para bellum

5 hours ago, king derelict said:

Thanks Patrick

That is hugely helpful. I had been thinking Spain for #4 but the paint scheme doesn't look very desert but I suppose Spanish Morocco was also the coast and some of the Rif mountains as well as Western Sahara, I still like the paint scheme so this will be one of teh two builds.

Thanks again Patrick

Alan

This paint  scheme, but on a signal tank.

20210706_083509.thumb.jpg.2b382655e3beea325c3d3f75becb56c6.jpg

Regards, Patrick

Finished :  Soleil Royal Heller 1/100   Wasa Billing Boats   Bounty Revell 1/110 plastic (semi scratch)   Pelican / Golden Hind  1/45 scratch

To do Prins Willem Corel, Le Tonnant Corel, Yacht d'Oro Corel, Thermopylae Sergal 

ADGZ M35 funkwagen 1/72    Einhets Pkw. Kfz.2 and 4 1/72   Autoblinda AB40 1/72   122mm A-19 & 152mm ML-20 & 12.8cm Pak.44 {K8 1/2} 1/72   10.5cm Howitzer 16 on Mark. VI(e)  Centurion Mk.1 conversion   M29 Weasel 1/72     SAM6 1/72    T26 Finland  T26 TN 1/72  Autoprotetto S37 1/72     Opel Blitz buses 1/72  Boxer and MAN trucks 1/72   Hetzer38(t) Starr 1/72    

21 hours ago, Egilman said:

So Tank #II in the sheet of schemes above is marked for the 426th tank battalion, 4th company, 3rd section, Tank #1.....

A slight correction... the tank referenced above has a red heart.. as you read Patton's order he specified black as the battalion color... A bit of explanation and slight correction needs to be made...

When Patton was given field command of the AEF's tanks, there was only one tank battalion the 426th.... In a few months they had sufficient personnel to form a second battalion, the 427th....

They now had a need to tell apart the different battalions so Patton adjusted the order to account for this and red was the color assigned to the 427th Tank Battalion...

Since the image shows a red heart, the tank is Unit #1 of the third section of the 4th company of the 427th Tank Battalion.... Not the 426th TB...

Just in case of any confusion..... (or if anyone actually read the order as posted) {chuckle}

Edited by Egilman

Current Build: F-86F-30 Sabre by Egilman - Kinetic - 1/32nd scale

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

Terminated Build: F-104C Starfighter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

"Relish Today, Ketchup Tomorrow"

6 hours ago, Egilman said:

A slight correction... the tank referenced above has a red heart.. as you read Patton's order he specified black as the battalion color... A bit of explanation and slight correction needs to be made...

When Patton was given field command of the AEF's tanks, there was only one tank battalion the 426th.... In a few months they had sufficient personnel to form a second battalion, the 427th....

They now had a need to tell apart the different battalions so Patton adjusted the order to account for this and red was the color assigned to the 427th Tank Battalion...

Since the image shows a red heart, the tank is Unit #1 of the third section of the 4th company of the 427th Tank Battalion.... Not the 426th TB...

Just in case of any confusion..... (or if anyone actually read the order as posted) {chuckle}

This is great information Egilman. I really appreciate the help. With your input and Patrick's it lifts this from being a kit build into a historical learning experience which I really enjoy.

I have found that dues to over enthusiasm on Ebay I have bought this kit twice so I have the ability to make four of the six variants.

With the Penelope diorama drying and paint going on in sequence on Kujawiak I have made a start on an FT17 so a new build log is up

Many Thanks again

Alan

17 hours ago, Backer said:

This paint  scheme, but on a signal tank.

20210706_083509.thumb.jpg.2b382655e3beea325c3d3f75becb56c6.jpg

That is a great image. Many Thanks Patrick. The Spanish Moroccan paint scheme is going to be my first type to build. Do you know what that structure at the back is (where the chains are)? 

Thanks again

Alan

24 minutes ago, king derelict said:

With the Penelope diorama drying and paint going on in sequence on Kujawiak I have made a start on an FT17 so a new build log is up

Many Thanks again

Alan

My pleasure Alan, I love the history as well.... and we are here to share....

Current Build: F-86F-30 Sabre by Egilman - Kinetic - 1/32nd scale

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

Terminated Build: F-104C Starfighter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

"Relish Today, Ketchup Tomorrow"

6 hours ago, king derelict said:

Do you know what that structure at the back is (where the chains are)?

This is a small tank
The "tail" at the back makes the tank longer. This should make it easier for to drive over trenches.

Regards, Patrick

12 hours ago, Backer said:

This is a small tank
The "tail" at the back makes the tank longer. This should make it easier for to drive over trenches.

Thanks Patrick, I had seen it referred to as a skid plate and was theorizing that it was to reduce the risk of the tank rolling over backwards on a steep climb.

Alan

really nice job on the tank Alan.......I'm sure this new project will come out just as good :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

On 7/8/2021 at 10:13 PM, popeye the sailor said:

really nice job on the tank Alan.......I'm sure this new project will come out just as good :) 

Thank you Popeye,

The Flyhawk kit was a treat to make; I enjoyed it immensely. Learned quite a lot and I think I am improving; especially with weathering. Again, lots of good advice here

Alan