Since it's a Dumas kit, is it used for RC operation?

Looks to me like the planking is flexing a little and causing the cracking in the finish. If you can open up the model (as in the RC operation question), I'd make sure to reinforce the backside of the planks, maybe by gluing some wood behind it, or at least coating the inside with epoxy to strengthen in.

After that, you can worry about the finish. I'm sure any mahogany stain will do to hide the crack. When that's dry, apply a finish coat to seal it up, and I think it should be just fine. It's not anything serious looking. Barely noticeable, even.

Anyone else have suggestions?

Clare Hess

He's a -> "HE"

Is there any movement in the separated joint? If you put slight pressure on one of the planks near the crack does it move inward, even slightly? In this case you will need to glue them back, either from the inside, or by injecting glue behind the crack with a needle. have done this in the past with very good results. You can drill a tiny hole on the crack if you need to. Make sure you apply pressure after injecting the  glue and carefully clean any surplus that leaks.

If there is no movement around the crack this is probably wood shrinkage. What conditions do you keep the model in? As @catopower asked, is it used for RC?

Wildly changing humidity can do that to wood over 6 years, even painted wood.

8 minutes ago, bluenose2 said:

The model stays in my basement, were humidity is around 32% and around 18 Celcius.

I think the humidity is the problem, this as I have noticed my Bluenose hull is doing the same in my garage.

Unfortunate I believe this is a common problem we all have. 

A humidity around 45% is what I think good for static models.

But I can be wrong.

Please, visit our Facebook page!

Respectfully

Per aka Dr. Per@Therapy for Shipaholics 
593661798_Keepitreal-small.jpg.f8a2526a43b30479d4c1ffcf8b37175a.jpg

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Current: America by Constructo, Solö Ruff, USS Syren by MS, Bluenose by MS

Viking funeral: Harley almost a Harvey

Nautical Research Guild Member - 'Taint a hobby if you gotta hurry

So I think this is what I'm going to try. Take a small sharp blade and very carefully scrape the joint so I don't feel any sharp edge on the joint. Then flood in some Varathane to seal the crack. Then I will see if I can polish and buff the repair. I will use some Novis polishing compound used for Plexiglass scratch repairs and see if this works. If that isn't satisfactory I will mask out and spray new clear coat just like an auto body shop would do for a repair.