Starting some small stuff

Well,sh*t is getting real now lol

this is a good pic for the rope that holds cannon from going backwards at a high rate of speed on my Amati Bounty 

would epoxy be good to fasten 0.5 mm ring bolts to a bulwarks .5mm hole ? 

sorry for shameless pic of my awesome deck planking !! Lol

AB7A3F48-32C9-4E33-8CEC-5DEBE3DB49F6.jpeg

469D9920-4E2D-4A20-9EB2-731BD94C9B3D.jpeg

Edited by govtech
Messed up title spelling

Some folks advocate CA glue but epoxy is the way I would go.  

You might want to consider using miniature rope in place of what looks like string in your photos.  I realize it probably from your kit supplies, but if it is not too late to change, miniature rope adds so much to the rigging of any model compared to common thread found in so many kits. 

I have no definite answer on this one, but were the seizings made with tarred line on untarred rope?   Just curious. 

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

13 hours ago, allanyed said:

Some folks advocate CA glue but epoxy is the way I would go.  

You might want to consider using miniature rope in place of what looks like string in your photos.  I realize it probably from your kit supplies, but if it is not too late to change, miniature rope adds so much to the rigging of any model compared to common thread found in so many kits. 

I have no definite answer on this one, but were the seizings made with tarred line on untarred rope?   Just curious. 

Allan

I used the 1mm role the instructions call for .

I have no idea what you mean with what seizings are what untarred role is lol

the black thread is just thread for sewing ,I used it for the grout on the deck.

I'm thinking of epoxy as well

The black thread tying off the line around the ring is called "seizing".  In my Boy Scout days I think we called it frapping.  The seizing should be the same color as the line seized, for the most part.  Black or dark brown thread/line represents line that has been coated or treated with pine tar to preserve it...mostly standing rigging.  If the line was treated with pine tar, the seizing would be coated as well, after being seized.

Chuck Seiler
San Diego Ship Modelers Guild
Nautical Research Guild

Current Build:: Colonial Schooner SULTANA (scratch from Model Expo Plans), Hanseatic Cog Wutender Hund, John Smith Shallop
Completed:  Missouri Riverboat FAR WEST (1876) Scratch, 1776 Gunboat PHILADELPHIA (Scratch 1/4 scale-Model Shipways plans)

7 hours ago, Chuck Seiler said:

The black thread tying off the line around the ring is called "seizing".  In my Boy Scout days I think we called it frapping.  The seizing should be the same color as the line seized, for the most part.  Black or dark brown thread/line represents line that has been coated or treated with pine tar to preserve it...mostly standing rigging.  If the line was treated with pine tar, the seizing would be coated as well, after being seized.

Interesting ,I thought that was what you were talking about ,,I thought it would look nice with black thread ,

Have a good day !!!