NAIAD 1797 by Bitao - 1:60

2 hours ago, Beef Wellington said:

Beautiful work, and you work so quickly!

This boiler has been in use for nearly a week, making it the fourth and longest boiler I've ever built. It's not complicated, but I spent a lot of time on rivets and all kinds of riveting. After all, it's scary to drill a lot of 0.3 and 0.4 holes in brass. If you're not careful, you can easily break the drill.

Your work puts a smile on my face. I would love to see detailed photos of every step in the machining process. A YouTube video would be ideal but I'm sure very time consuming.

Greg

website
Admiralty Models

moderator Echo Cross-section build
Admiralty Models Cross-section Build

Finished build
Pegasus, 1776, cross-section

Current build
Speedwell, 1752

Hi, Greg. I'm sorry to disappoint you. Usually when I'm in the process of machining, I rarely shoot to ensure concentration and safety. But there are a lot of people here who would rather see the process than the end result, and I'll try to do more in the future. In addition, some video software in China is restricted and can not be uploaded, limiting our communication. Some of the software in the country can't be uploaded. No one stays in my studio while I'm making it, and my wife is no exception. I prefer to do things alone and in peace.

Hello Bitao, 

Your work is impressive.  I have not seen anything like this on this forum.

What kind of tools / power tools you are using?

PS. I have bought also Naiad Frigate book previous week since I was trying to start my scratch build  but now seeing your result I started to be demotivated 🙂

Hello, Shonezmija. Thank you for your attention. I love making models, including sailboats, so my home is full of tools, including lathes and milling machines. I also like to develop small tools for designing and building models; some of them are homemade, including a small universal milling machine. I think, everyone has their own abilities and goals, choose their favorite things is our hobby interest. Do not have to compare with others, in my opinion, constantly surpass oneself is the greatest achievement. When hobbies become your life's pursuits, you will find that you will do better than many people. You give more because you love it. Have Fun!

Bitao, makes a good point, shonezmija. Don't compare to others but look at them as goals.  It's a process to get there.  And start "small" scratchbuilding.  Maybe a kit with as many of the parts as you can made from scratch.  There's no rush and no pressure.  For all but a few, this is a hobby.  

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

I like model making because my work is very easy and I have something to do in my spare time, which satisfies the pleasure of making things by hand. The reason why I like MSW, it not only let me learn more things, but also let me see the gap with the master and have the goal of effort; at least here many people work seriously, honest attitude is very worthy of my admiration! At the same time, I also showed my ability to more friends in the world. I never take part in any big games in China. It doesn't mean anything to me. I just want to have a good time!  :cheers:

Shone

I may be mistaken but I detect a hint of  Nepalese in your screen name .

DO NOT BE INTIMIDATED by anyone's build.  This hobby of ours is first and foremost a fun endeavor.   As suggested above, for a first scratch build perhaps a smaller project for a first time such as a ship's boat or smaller vessel such as a Swan Class sloop.  There are great plans available and in the case of the Swan class,  an excellent series of books, The Fully Framed Model, with step by step lessons and instructions.

As with the Naiad books, the author of The Fully Framed Model is a member here and he would likely be checking and helping you from beginning to end if you start a build log and request if you run into a stumbling block.

Brian,  while Bitao's stove is incredible, the stove can be made from alternate materials and result in a credible job.   I would emulate Bitao's stove, but if you are not yet ready for this, as is the case for most of us, take a look at the articles here on MSW as there is a simplified build of a stove in the Furniture and Fittings section of the Articles Data Base.  It may be an acceptable alternative for some builders.

Allan

Edited by allanyed

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Thank you. No Idea. First of all, I appreciate the seriousness of your posts. This slide, I just as a hobby and auxiliary equipment to carry out their own design and manufacture. Previous versions of the simplified version of the relevant pictures released in the country, but some hypes used for business. So after a major upgrade and redesign, I never shared any details with the public, nor did I have any sales plans. This set of slipcovers and all the accessories weigh over 100 kilos! Even if I wanted to sell it to you, it would be very difficult. I’m really sorry.

On 6/29/2021 at 3:21 PM, bitao said:

Heute habe ich einige Probleme und Fehler gefunden. Es wirkt sich nicht auf die gesamte Struktur aus, aber es stört mich. Auch einige der Materialien sind nicht ideal. Also beschloss ich, bei Null anzufangen und alles wegzuwerfen. Ich muss eine Pause machen und von vorne anfangen. Dieser Beitrag wird in drei Tagen gelöscht. Es tut mir leid, Sie enttäuschen zu entäuschen.:(

017.JPG.320d571352f0933fd9e13226828e364a.JPG

018.JPG.6204b6ef8c1edc565f037b126a9947a1.JPG

019.JPG.00f4082eef8c3fa870580896a6f45a6e.JPG

008.JPG.be3c98c9a617cd7421a08cedf965110d.JPG

A German proverb:

no master has ever fallen from the sky.

Karl

• 2 weeks later...

Such a clean build!  Thanks for sharing the journey.

Maury

Because I’ve been so busy with my friends’custom tools lately, it’s obviously been a lot slower. Thank you all for your attention and affection. Before I made these parts, I modified the sampler to change the standard width from 15 cm to 10 cm so that it would be able to detect the interior of the hull for accurate sampling.

206.JPG.f70d8fc54d0891750b3873ca8845c5c2.JPG

207.JPG.8f8e5ff7e0c2da59b418cce935148fdd.JPG

208.JPG.6b6995ff8390816c3d24810ee16aa76f.JPG

209.JPG.2257f9c764308f467472a240db3a4f1e.JPG

210.thumb.JPG.10e633b68198ffc4041e809b862c8de4.JPG

211.JPG.17e1aa6afbcb492762dd5e59d5fa5d7b.JPG

This shape extractor is made in Japan, China also has this product, should not be difficult to buy. But everything on the market is either too wide or the needle is not long enough. So it had to be purchased and refitted to fit inside the hull. However, this structure is relatively simple, if later still can not meet the needs, I intend to make it.