HMS Hood 1941 by CDW - FINISHED - I Love Kit - 1:700 Scale - PLASTIC

Craig   found this on Soverign Hobbies  site  might  clear up the paint scheme  of  when she went down.

OC.

Screenshot 2021-07-25 at 23-51-00 HMS_Hood pdf.png

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

Thanks for the research OC. I see a lot of "speculative" statement qualifiers in the text, though I cannot clearly make out all of it, it's blurry. I like the looks of the gray anti fouling and may go with that. it's just odd to me I don't see photos where modelers have followed this scheme. Usually, modelers are fairly hard core when it comes to color, but that certainly doesn't make them infallible.

In the long run, no one who visits my home and sees the paint scheme on my Hood model will know the difference one way or another in any event. I have not attended or entered a contest with judges in years. If you did, the info you found would be valuable to back up a gray interpretation.

3 hours ago, CDW said:

Thanks for the research OC. I see a lot of "speculative" statement qualifiers in the text, though I cannot clearly make out all of it, it's blurry. I like the looks of the gray anti fouling and may go with that. it's just odd to me I don't see photos where modelers have followed this scheme. Usually, modelers are fairly hard core when it comes to color, but that certainly doesn't make them infallible.

In the long run, no one who visits my home and sees the paint scheme on my Hood model will know the difference one way or another in any event. I have not attended or entered a contest with judges in years. If you did, the info you found would be valuable to back up a gray interpretation.

I have dropped Jamie from Soverign  a message  about this   - hope he come back to me.

Its interesting  - where they trialing a new paint in 1941,  did they simply run out of Red in her refit before her last encouter with Bizzy?

OC.

Edited by Old Collingwood

Current builds  

Completed works.

Some interesting info back from Jamie at Soverign  -  his understanding from some very in depth research, is that Grey was most likely the main bottom colour for RN ships  and red was probably  introduced either mid to late WW2  or even possibly   after WW2.

Well that puts a spanner in the works for all this WW2  painted RN ships we all built over time, and did our bottoms Red.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

4 hours ago, Old Collingwood said:

Grey was most likely the main bottom colour for RN ships  and red was probably  introduced either mid to late WW2  or even possibly   after WW2.

Just speculation, but the red lower hull could have been introduced on British capital ships as a result of many of them being sent to the US for refits and overhauls after the outbreak of the war and red anti fouling being plentiful here.

If I remember correctly Then HMS Rodney was in route to the US for refit when she was diverted to join the search for the Bismarck. I don't believe the Hood was ever refitted in the US. The KGV could have undergone a US refit at one point or another. Possibly more than once.

Note: I stand corrected. The KGV never even came close to having a refit in America.

https://www.naval-history.net/xGM-Chrono-01BB-HMS_King_George_V.htm

Edited by lmagna

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

4 minutes ago, lmagna said:

Just speculation, but the red lower hull could have been introduced on British capital ships as a result of many of them being sent to the US for refits and overhauls after the outbreak of the war and red anti fouling being plentiful here.

If I remember correctly Then HMS Rodney was in route to the US for refit when she was diverted to join the search for the Bismarck. I don't believe the Hood was ever refitted in the US.

Thats a good point  you raised there lou,  and a possiblilty.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

That does look nice Craig  - I think the Grey/Black shades make her look longer (and she was already long at 860 feet)

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

3 hours ago, RGL said:

Courtesy of Jamie 

D566D476-B842-4C4D-8134-9D6225D4A5C7.jpeg

Indeed  - saw it on his  website and other posts in other  forums.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

your progress on the Hood Craig looks very good !  the deck came out super as well :)   I just bought a can of Mr Surface......having never used it before,  how would it be best used........before or after paint?

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Just now, popeye the sailor said:

your progress on the Hood Craig looks very good !  the deck came out super as well :)   I just bought a can of Mr Surface......having never used it before,  how would it be best used........before or after paint?

It's a great primer/leveler, so first coats should be Mr Surfacer. They make it in 500, 1000, 1200, and 1500. The lower numbers give the greatest fill capability for small scratches and imperfections, but it can obscure fine details. I used black1500 on the Hood.

Really nice work Craig.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

I'm really enjoying this build Craig and you've done a great job in provoking research into the (almost) mysterious dark grey antifouling paint. I shall certainly use dark grey for my Hood(s). I bought the same "I love Kit" but also want the Flyhawk offering which is now available. I'm waiting before ordering the Flyhawk though, don't want it arriving here while I'm on holiday next week - also there will be the usual customs duty to be paid before I get my stickyhands on to it! I intend building both Hood kits in parallel, learning from each kit as I progress.

2 hours ago, RogerF said:

I'm really enjoying this build Craig and you've done a great job in provoking research into the (almost) mysterious dark grey antifouling paint. I shall certainly use dark grey for my Hood(s). I bought the same "I love Kit" but also want the Flyhawk offering which is now available. I'm waiting before ordering the Flyhawk though, don't want it arriving here while I'm on holiday next week - also there will be the usual customs duty to be paid before I get my stickyhands on to it! I intend building both Hood kits in parallel, learning from each kit as I progress.

Thanks Roger. I am anxious to see how Flyhawk renders the details in their amazing tooling and injection molded plastic. Their work in that regards eliminates the need for a lot of tedious photo etch work to correct deficiencies in the original plastic molded parts.

Hi Craig,

I own the Flyhawk Bismarck which I originally wanted to be my next build. However, I have only had one previous experience with airbrush, weathering and photo-etch - all three of which I intend to implement fully on Bismarck - and so I first built the Meng 1/700 version which is now finished - no painting necessary!!!!  as a prelude to Flyhawk's massively superior 1/700 offering. . The Meng kit is a simple 'click together kit' much like Revell's click together Titanic which I have already built but I am entering new areas of expertise and as a perfectionist (whenever I can - and am able to be!) I thought a less demanding project was the route to take before embarking on the Rolls Royce of 1/700 kits.

But I think Hood will be my next project - why?

!. I've built one (Meng) Bismarck, which incidentally had me on my hands and knees for hours on end searching for AWOL microscopic parts as discussed earlier, and I felt the next project should be a Brit ship and well, Hood and Bismarck in the same scale was the obvious choice.

2. You inspired me to buy the very reasonably priced I-love-Kit which is excellent and classes above the Meng Bismarck if not quite up to Flyhawk's almost unbelievable standards. So I did buy it - absolutely no regrets. ☺️

3. The Flyhawk Hood is now available, so before the 1st batch is sold out, I'll add that to my collection and hopefully do it justice.

My last project was a Revell U-Boot in 1/144 scale with a Griffin photo-etch update. In addition to PE and airbrush, this also saw my first ever attempts at weathering. Perhaps I should post a few pics in the gallery though the standards there are soooo high!

Whatever. I love the forum and am so grateful that you post so many pics and details of the build as it progresses. I learn so much from this kind of presentation and I slowly learn about the structure of the ship which is priceless when you come to have to decide when and what needs to be done or  painted next.

Once again, many thanks and keep up the good work.

Kind regards

Roger

PS I will have just a few questions when I get started on Hood so be warned!

Edited by RogerF
Forgot to add

Looks great Craig, nice job!

How did the wooden deck go down?  Did you have to use an adhesive?  I really like the wooden deck look rather than trying to paint the ship to look like it had a wood deck.

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

Really nice work mate  - really  got me anxious about my Flyhawk build (when I start it that is)   as you know I am not a  airbrush owner/user  and so far have not been pulled in to needing to get one, my intention  for my Hood build was  to try to get away with using the closest colour I could find to 507A  in Tamiya rattle cans  and the same for the anti fouling, and  something for the  semtex/corticene  on the deck, I also have the wood deck coming with the kit as I brought that seperate from the same company.

Its just the inconvenience of rattle can painting  - needing to paint outdoors at the mercy of the weather - dust/flies  etc, needing to man handle the parts carefully, finding a place for the parts to dry and de gas before being able to get them out on the table  - I always said this takes the enjoyement out of the build.

So  - some thinking of what to do.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

Yep  the Bismark  stood out having the wider beam  roughly same length as Hood (I think)   wasn't Yamato  the largest  in size of all  in service  Battle Ships?

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.