HMS Hood 1941 by CDW - FINISHED - I Love Kit - 1:700 Scale - PLASTIC

15 hours ago, RogerF said:

Hi Craig,

I own the Flyhawk Bismarck which I originally wanted to be my next build. However, I have only had one previous experience with airbrush, weathering and photo-etch - all three of which I intend to implement fully on Bismarck - and so I first built the Meng 1/700 version which is now finished - no painting necessary!!!!  as a prelude to Flyhawk's massively superior 1/700 offering. . The Meng kit is a simple 'click together kit' much like Revell's click together Titanic which I have already built but I am entering new areas of expertise and as a perfectionist (whenever I can - and am able to be!) I thought a less demanding project was the route to take before embarking on the Rolls Royce of 1/700 kits.

But I think Hood will be my next project - why?

!. I've built one (Meng) Bismarck, which incidentally had me on my hands and knees for hours on end searching for AWOL microscopic parts as discussed earlier, and I felt the next project should be a Brit ship and well, Hood and Bismarck in the same scale was the obvious choice.

2. You inspired me to buy the very reasonably priced I-love-Kit which is excellent and classes above the Meng Bismarck if not quite up to Flyhawk's almost unbelievable standards. So I did buy it - absolutely no regrets. ☺️

3. The Flyhawk Hood is now available, so before the 1st batch is sold out, I'll add that to my collection and hopefully do it justice.

My last project was a Revell U-Boot in 1/144 scale with a Griffin photo-etch update. In addition to PE and airbrush, this also saw my first ever attempts at weathering. Perhaps I should post a few pics in the gallery though the standards there are soooo high!

Whatever. I love the forum and am so grateful that you post so many pics and details of the build as it progresses. I learn so much from this kind of presentation and I slowly learn about the structure of the ship which is priceless when you come to have to decide when and what needs to be done or  painted next.

Once again, many thanks and keep up the good work.

Kind regards

Roger

PS I will have just a few questions when I get started on Hood so be warned!

Thanks for your comments Roger, greatly appreciated. 

I would love to see photos of your updated Revell U-Boot. I have that same set and have never started it. Yours may be the encouragement I need to start mine.

If you have questions, I will be happy to answer any if I can.

coming along splendidly Craig :)    thanks for the head's up on the Mr Surface.......I thought it could have been used as a top coat.  good thing I didn't try using it like that........of course with my track record on stuff like this....oh impending doom ! :ph34r:

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

If you look closely at the decks, there are numerous rectangles scattered all over, about 50 or 60 of them. These are locations for storage lockers and ammo boxes for the most part. Got a whole lot of micro "hold-and-fold" photo etch to create the lockers and boxes, then primer and paint them before installing. Not really looking forward to that but will grit my teeth and getter done.

Don't try to do them all at once. Take breaks. Repetitious builds are hard because you keep doing the same thing over and over. I've build N and Z scale structures with multiple multi-part windows. Very tedious.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

6 hours ago, CDW said:

Added the secondary’s, the rocket launchers, and Pom Pom guns. Added the rear superstructure with the “Hood” placard.

544F4B68-58CC-4010-AF7E-DA8E99E82EE1.thumb.jpeg.6ce15abab37c1867695fe93788a07255.jpeg0F3ECF89-B545-4E73-BCC1-3B37C0FEDD72.thumb.jpeg.74707a64050b9679e55bb7a0e1c4548d.jpegC177D84A-7A60-4CCB-AEFC-1A8CDAD0E9AF.thumb.jpeg.6f8d50a28c8d7c2c93a8ffc06ba1376a.jpeg764E57E1-FCB0-4F87-86F8-A2E89D50C860.thumb.jpeg.1b80ee5aac2a7ce1c1e71031e16e0f8c.jpeg21008765-CFA6-45A4-8257-3AE01DB6871D.thumb.jpeg.65ca443938bc2fecfd6d7864a917ae8a.jpeg6203C852-C0F6-402B-AED4-34578C324A46.thumb.jpeg.c620357301ffbf29c0a5d3fa0b5ab25a.jpeg764E57E1-FCB0-4F87-86F8-A2E89D50C860.thumb.jpeg.1b80ee5aac2a7ce1c1e71031e16e0f8c.jpeg5EE21EB3-4A7E-4703-A5AB-71F8CA37AA52.thumb.jpeg.2c098b2f3faf81118cf6a7ab6831d971.jpeg

Survived a “near death” experience when I nearly dropped the model on the floor. Caught it before it hit the ground and only suffered minor damage...now repaired.

That must have done wonders for the heart rate. She looks beautiful. The details are very impressive. A spectacular model

Alan

The build is coming on in leaps and bounds Craig - I can never concentrate that intensely for long, needing frequent time outs with typically days between stints despite the available time NOT being the problem!

The decks are looking great and the wealth of detail already evident is impressive. Having lots of identical PE parts to bend, form and paint must be a daunting prospect. Just grit your teeth and get through it I guess, I'm not looking forward to that phase when (and if ever!) I actually get started myself.

I'll take some photos of the Revell U-Boot with Griffon upgrade - I guess the place to post them would be the gallery - yes? (I'm new around here!)

I obviously don't want to clutter your thread with them.

On 7/29/2021 at 2:09 PM, CDW said:

Thanks for your comments Roger, greatly appreciated. 

I would love to see photos of your updated Revell U-Boot. I have that same set and have never started it. Yours may be the encouragement I need to start mine.

If you have questions, I will be happy to answer any if I can.

I have now posted pictures to the gallery for the very first time. 7 photos of my Revell 1/44 U-Boat with Griffon upgrade. Not perfect by any means but I'm pleased with it as a starting point.

She is looking  Superb mate  - first class modelling.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

Wow Craig

Your Hood is really coming about. I think it is not a stretch to say that it possibly may be the best Hood build I have ever seen, in ANY scale! Hard to believe there is still more to come and it is not even done!

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

15 hours ago, CDW said:

If you look closely at the decks, there are numerous rectangles scattered all over, about 50 or 60 of them. These are locations for storage lockers and ammo boxes for the most part. Got a whole lot of micro "hold-and-fold" photo etch to create the lockers and boxes, then primer and paint them before installing. Not really looking forward to that but will grit my teeth and getter done.

Will you be doing same as I did on my Warspite  - and  cutting out the small pieces of decking under all those  rectangles?

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

Just now, lmagna said:

Wow Craig

Your Hood is really coming about. I think it is not a stretch to say that it possibly may be the best Hood build I have ever seen, in ANY scale! Hard to believe there is still more to come and it is not even done!

Thanks for the compliments Lou. it's been fun to build this far and look forward to more offerings from this company. Keeping my fingers crossed, they are an excellent value for the dollar spent.

Beautiful job, so crisp and clean.  Will bookmark for future reference.  Looking forward to more.  Thanks

21 minutes ago, CDW said:

I don't plan to cut or remove any deck portions not pre cut.

I see  mate, I  went with that route  because Pontos showed it in thier instructions  - lots and lots of cut outs to remove so things could sit on the plastic deck under the wood decking.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

9 hours ago, CDW said:

Oh, by the way, I tried out Mig Ammo One Shot primer for the first time on the photo etch ammo lockers seen in the previous photos. The primer is (gray or black) acrylic, and it seems to cover photo etch very well with no tendency to peel or flake off. 

I use epoxy car primer.

It comes in spray cans with adjustable flow. It covers all shinny metal surfaces and dries in 15-20 minutes.

Just now, mikegr said:

Not sure about availability in your area. Car painting products are all high quality. Also i use one ingredient car filler, P1000 Liquid. Superfine, great  apply and easy to sand.

The very best spray cans I ever used were of DuPont automotive lacquer paints, but I have not seen those cans available in many years. An adjustable flow nozzle sounds very unique. I am not familiar with any spray paint cans that have this feature, but I am going to have a look to see.

20 minutes ago, CDW said:

The very best spray cans I ever used were of DuPont automotive lacquer paints, but I have not seen those cans available in many years. An adjustable flow nozzle sounds very unique. I am not familiar with any spray paint cans that have this feature, but I am going to have a look to see.

In EU this is a typical wide available product.

https://www.nonpaints.com/en/colormatic-1k-epoxy-primer-in-aerosol

In US you may need an alternative.

Very nice work mate  - those breakwaters look so scale accurate  - even include the partition for access by the look of it  - most impressive.

For so long we have been waiting for decent scale accurate kits  - now we are spoiled for choice.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.