HMS Hood 1941 by CDW - FINISHED - I Love Kit - 1:700 Scale - PLASTIC

3 hours ago, CDW said:

Testing another photo box...a white one. Would have preferred a light pastel blue but they were out of that color foam board.

351A32F0-9241-4493-9AB5-D5C439F14D58.jpeg

15ABBBE7-2952-44A8-A2AE-402A9A0AD951.jpeg

4D1A2C7F-7639-4969-A9E5-41962B708474.jpeg

E133DE4D-5866-49AB-8AFF-2BF1EDD779D7.jpeg

35B0568C-0654-473F-9F6D-F70C4278BA96.jpeg

Craig

She looks great. The details are so neat and clean - and there are a lot of them. I'm hoping the Geisenau will break me in for attempting the Hood when it arrives.

Alan

2 hours ago, king derelict said:

Craig

She looks great. The details are so neat and clean - and there are a lot of them. I'm hoping the Geisenau will break me in for attempting the Hood when it arrives.

Alan

My thoughts are the same  -  regarding Hood  (we are like teenagers awaiting our first big school)

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

2 hours ago, CDW said:

I'm anxious to see your Hood when it arrives, and am betting that Flyhawk has worked wonders with their new molds. 

I think we are all anxious  Craig  - think I will just stair into the box and not attempt to build it (only Joking of course  - I just wont attempt to paint mine lol)

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

That chain looks superb mate.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

Early tomorrow morning, am going with my son and three grandsons on this deep sea charter fishing boat. The captain says the past couple of days have been fantastic fishing. Wish us luck and I hope to bring back some great photos of the kid's fishing prowess. All of them are real anglers as men on my Mom and Dad's sides of the family have done for generations.

Deep Sea Fishing - Tarpon Springs, FL - Dolphin Deep (twogeorgesdeepseafishing.com)

Edited by CDW

popped in to see how you've progressed,  and I must say.......you've done a fantastic job!   the detail is amazing.......jaw droppingly awesome :)    I have my first wooden deck planned for a future project,  and from what I've read,  OC is correct concerning punching out all those areas on the deck.   although,  in seeing you not punch out yours,  kinda makes me wonder if it really matters.   she photographed better in the white shadow box....very impressive!

the flyhawk model looks insanely good......... :ph34r:

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

On 8/8/2021 at 11:33 PM, CDW said:

Thanks OC. The chain came with the kit and accessories. A great value for the money spent IMO. All these things purchased separately would have cost a LOT more than the $60 USD I spent on Amazon for it all.

There seems to be quite a range of I Love kits, Armour as well as Ships and prices for 1/350 ships up at $300. The Hood seems to be an especially good deal.

Alan

Looking really great Craig, the detail and overall impression is very good indeed and you've persevered with all that PE which adds so much to the (nearly) finished model. I think we're all looking forward to the finished model, I certainly am - it's been a very worth-while build to follow so thanks for taking the time to photograph and post with comments.

I'm in two/three minds - start my I Love Kit Hood, wait until my Flyhawk Hood arrives (it's in transit) and build that first or build both in parallel ... mmmm.. !

Just now, RogerF said:

Looking really great Craig, the detail and overall impression is very good indeed and you've persevered with all that PE which adds so much to the (nearly) finished model. I think we're all looking forward to the finished model, I certainly am - it's been a very worth-while build to follow so thanks for taking the time to photograph and post with comments.

I'm in two/three minds - start my I Love Kit Hood, wait until my Flyhawk Hood arrives (it's in transit) and build that first or build both in parallel ... mmmm.. !

Just now, Haliburton said:

Really lovely work Craig, congratulations on a great build. I like your approach to the hull painting.  Scott

Thanks for the comments gentlemen.

My Flyhawk HMS Hood kit is out for delivery today, so I should be taking a first peek into the box later this afternoon after the postman arrives. However, I probably won't start another Hood model right now. Will be making a decision on the next project real soon.

3 hours ago, CDW said:

I read that the ship did not fly a national flag in 1941 when she was sunk, but I wanted to fly one anyway just because I like the way it looks, historical accuracy aside. Any thoughts on that? Final photos.

First of all, a great build, attention to detail and execution are first rate. The end result is excellent but have you considered any rigging? I know that in this scale rigging is a pig - but it can bring that last bit of life to ship models, even 1/700 warships. Rigging is a real pain and in 1/700 scale you have to make compromises. The biggest problem from my point of view is that even with really detailed books, like Draminski's, it's often hard to decide what to include and what not. Also where do the ends of the rigging end up? For Hood I found this 3D video from Draminski quite an eye-opener and should you decide to add any rigging then I am sure it will help you locate and replicate sufficient rigging to do your already superb model justice:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YnzlkfKivpw

The beauty is that, as a video, you can stop it at any point you wish and examine details of where the rigging cables are secured at both ends before attempting to render them on your model.

That said, it's your model and when it's finished, it's finished!!

Flag?

Like the rigging I mentioned, it's YOUR model. You don't have to prove anything to anybody. Most Hood models have the lower hull painted red, you've learned that recent thinking/knowledge says that it was almost certainly dark grey if not even black and you have painted YOUR model more accurately than 99% of all other Hood models so .... if nobody notices that the hull of your model is grey and not red then who is likely to know that the flag you have added is not accurate for the time?

Go for it, fly the flag and if you ever expect a visit from somebody who's as savvy about HMS Hood as you have become, then remove it until they've admired your work and left the house. But I suspect their first question will be - "Why have you painted the lower hull GREY (gray!) not red?!" The flag is for you - fit it and I guarantee you'll smile every time you look at it.

Thanks once again for sharing such a pleasurable build with us.

Kind regards

Roger

Edited by RogerF

Well done, Craig.   As for the flag... you're the Captain and it's your choice. 

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Another beauty Craig, fantastic job!

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

Excellent job  - first class work Craig  - she looks a beauty.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

Beautiful work, Craig. She was a gorgeous ship. Thanks for sharing your work.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild