HMS Hood 1941 by CDW - FINISHED - I Love Kit - 1:700 Scale

On 6/24/2021 at 4:16 AM, CDW said:

The plastic is not quite as good as other Flyhawk offerings have been, but it's not bad either.  As can be seen, the upgrade package is extensive.

Trumpeter's plastic is a bit average but for the price paid is quite acceptable. This and the growing variety of models puts the company in a good way.

3 minutes ago, CDW said:

Another superstructure assembly, this one with the searchlight platforms.

I dropped one of the top searchlight railing pieces and it must have went into the black hole of Calcutta. Will find a replacement piece from another photo etch sheet. 
starting to hear some gusts of wind now from Ella. It will increase through the night.

EC32B652-7F7A-4608-A8ED-0E07E5AE909A.thumb.jpeg.70bdf788fad58e3a42f264d7003af20b.jpeg041998ED-A985-46E1-9A91-B7E8A99F3D2F.thumb.jpeg.af91e517411d7e19ece6b22a5f7351b1.jpegC19BE6E5-5A4A-4E01-8974-138EDEE32C2D.thumb.jpeg.43fffb5c264d3609322815157719c01d.jpeg

Your PE work is so neat and sharp. Very impressive. Tampa looks like getting a close brush from Elsa. I hope the power stays on and you escape damage.

Alan

Yep  stay safe Craig  and as Alan said  - hope it does not cause you too much grief.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

Stay save, CDW.  Just curious here as I've not done photo etch (well.... once for my CH-53 but didn't use it on the bird).   Would something like double-sided tape on the tweezers stop the "flight of the fiddly bits"?  I would think something like that but not sure what on just one of the blades would help keep the piece in place and reduce stress.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Coming along nicely, Craig. The stainless PE must have been fun, although I suspect pre-etched fold lines?

Try cutting the PE inside a large clear plastic bag. helps keep those teeny parts on top of the work bench. The tape may help picking up the parts to attach to the model. Well aligned jaws are a must. My cheap tweezers are getting replaced over time with better ones.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

8 hours ago, mtaylor said:

Would something like double-sided tape on the tweezers stop the "flight of the fiddly bits"?

1 hour ago, Canute said:

I suspect pre-etched fold lines?

In this case the photo etch is way too fragile for double sided tape. It breaks it when you try and pull it off something it’s attached to.

Yes there are sometimes pre etched fold lines but in this case no. You get a very small straight section of rail that must be bent to a radius that fits the searchlight platform. It was completely bent to a round shape when I was adjusting the size of the radius to fit the platform. While doing that, it sprung away from the tweezers and was gone. Unfortunately, a plastic bag distorts the view of a small part like this to an extent that blurs vision of it.

On 6/24/2021 at 3:50 AM, Old Collingwood said:

Dont foreget her lower hull was dark Grey not Red.

OC.

What 'dark grey' would be most likely to be authentic?

I have dark grey acrylic paints from Vallejo (71.049 Ocean Grey), Tamiya (Dark grey XF-24), Revell (36.378 Dark grey, 36.378 Dust grey + 361.74 Gunship grey) and Lifecolor (UA631 Admiralty dark grey 507A)... am hoping one of these will be somewhere near the mark??

Any advice appreciated.

Was her lower hull always grey?

29 minutes ago, RogerF said:

I have dark grey acrylic paints from Vallejo (71.049 Ocean Grey), Tamiya (Dark grey XF-24), Revell (36.378 Dark grey, 36.378 Dust grey + 361.74 Gunship grey) and Lifecolor (UA631 Admiralty dark grey 507A)... am hoping one of these will be somewhere near the mark??

Any advice appreciated.

Thats an interesting subject  and to be honest I was not completely sure  but  -  this might help.

OC.

https://www.sovereignhobbies.co.uk/pages/royal-navy-periodic-table-of-paints

Current builds  

Completed works.

Despite all the dialogue that could go back and forth over a correct color of gray, I am going to take the easy way out and use a Mr Color gray modulation set to paint my Hood. It will allow me to start with a dark shade of gray then modulate to lighter shades of gray as I see fit to add depth and shading to my model. The gray modulation set consists of four shades of gray, from dark to light. Technically, it's labeled for German tanks. It might be a shade or hue off here and there but I am not enough of a purist to pursue a gray color down to the inth degree.

2 minutes ago, CDW said:

Despite all the dialogue that could go back and forth over a correct color of gray, I am going to take the easy way out and use a Mr Color gray modulation set to paint my Hood. It will allow me to start with a dark shade of gray then modulate to lighter shades of gray as I see fit to add depth and shading to my model. The gray modulation set consists of four shades of gray, from dark to light. Technically, it's labeled for German tanks. It might be a shade or hue off here and there but I am not enough of a purist to pursue a gray color down to the inth degree.

Sounds like a good idea Craig,   correct shades of colour with our builds can be a right mine field  and sometimes over complicated.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

6 minutes ago, CDW said:

Very thankful we were spared yet again.

Yes ! Good news! 

The latest track shows the outer most cone passing roughly 50-75 miles southeast of me later in week.  

43 minutes ago, CDW said:

Oh, I forgot to say: the storm named Ella passed by last night without hardly a wimper. I fell asleep around midnight and never woke up until 7 AM. Got up and looked around in the yard, found hardly a branch out of place so I guess we never got a whole lot of wind at all from it. Very thankful we were spared yet again.

Great news. I don't like those things at all

Alan

16 hours ago, CDW said:

Another superstructure assembly, this one with the searchlight platforms.

I dropped one of the top searchlight railing pieces and it must have went into the black hole of Calcutta. Will find a replacement piece from another photo etch sheet. 
starting to hear some gusts of wind now from Ella. It will increase through the night.

EC32B652-7F7A-4608-A8ED-0E07E5AE909A.thumb.jpeg.70bdf788fad58e3a42f264d7003af20b.jpeg041998ED-A985-46E1-9A91-B7E8A99F3D2F.thumb.jpeg.af91e517411d7e19ece6b22a5f7351b1.jpegC19BE6E5-5A4A-4E01-8974-138EDEE32C2D.thumb.jpeg.43fffb5c264d3609322815157719c01d.jpeg

I just dropped one of the PE grab handles on the Renault. Did the whole retrieval routine with flashlight and dustbuster. Nothing so I've made one up from 0.2 mm brass wire. The utility room / work space is the cleanest room in the house

Alan

Good to read of Ella's swing and a miss. We have some rain progged for tonight and tomorrow, but it's maybe  1.5 inches.  The farmer across the road from me managed to get his hay cut, dried, baled and picked up. They were working since Friday. Multiple round bales, I assume for feeding cattle. My horses got rectangular bales, so they weren't moldy. Horses do not tolerate molding hay.

Great approach on the colors. Who's quibbling over all that. Weathering will be the best thing.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

5 hours ago, RogerF said:

Any advice appreciated.

For whatever it's worth, the kit color guide calls for Medium Gunship Gray for the sides above the waterline; Mr Color H305, Vallejo 868, Tamiya XF-58. Superstructure pieces Gray; Mr Color H308, Vallejo 990, Tamiya XF-19

They call for Cocoa Brown below the waterline, so their whole color callout may be "off" for all I know. I am going to do a shade of gray darker than Gunship Gray below the waterline in keeping with what OC said.

I have the Flyhawk Bismarck in 1/700 and wanted the Flyhawk HMS Hood to partner the Bismarck. Flyhawk's Hood is not yet available and I saw CDW's review of the 'I love Kit' of Hood that he bought and started to look to see if it was available in Europe. Low and behold it was available on Amazon Germany for 52 Euros including shipping so I ordered it and it arrived less than a week later here in Germany. I would agree that the detail of the plastic parts is not quite as good as the magnificent standard of Flyhawk's offerings but is nevertheless pretty good. The PE parts are truly wonderful and will doubtless improve the final model as will the wooden decks included. As CDW has alread<y said the box and packaging is extremely sturdy, the best I've seen on any plastic kit regardless of the manufacturer.

I am looking forward to following CDW's build and hope to pick up some tips and tricks along the way, having only recently rediscovered my love of model building and for the first time have been using an airbrush and working with PE parts (Revell 1/144 U-Boot with Griffon brass PE sheets).

16 minutes ago, RogerF said:

I have the Flyhawk Bismarck in 1/700 and wanted the Flyhawk HMS Hood to partner the Bismarck. Flyhawk's Hood is not yet available and I saw CDW's review of the 'I love Kit' of Hood that he bought and started to look to see if it was available in Europe. Low and behold it was available on Amazon Germany for 52 Euros including shipping so I ordered it and it arrived less than a week later here in Germany. I would agree that the detail of the plastic parts is not quite as good as the magnificent standard of Flyhawk's offerings but is nevertheless pretty good. The PE parts are truly wonderful and will doubtless improve the final model as will the wooden decks included. As CDW has alread<y said the box and packaging is extremely sturdy, the best I've seen on any plastic kit regardless of the manufacturer.

I am looking forward to following CDW's build and hope to pick up some tips and tricks along the way, having only recently rediscovered my love of model building and for the first time have been using an airbrush and working with PE parts (Revell 1/144 U-Boot with Griffon brass PE sheets).

Glad to hear you got one Roger! Welcome. I am enjoying my kit.

Battle of Dryfe Sands, Lockerbie Scotland, 1593.
Clan Caruthers and Clan Pollock (Polk) joined opposing forces of Clan Johnstone and Clan Maxwell in a deadly battle. John Pollock was killed in this battle. John Pollock was my 10th great grandfather. My grandmother Julia Polk is a direct descendant of John Pollock. My grandfather Percy Caruthers is a direct descendant of the Caruthers Clan. What are the odds that a young pair of farmer's children from these warring clans in Scotland would meet each other in a little town called Newberry Florida hundreds of years later, fall in love and marry? Whatever the odds, it happened.

Nice work Craig!  Hope the rains weren't too bad down where you are.

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)