Perseverance 1807 by Mike Hunt - Modellers Shipyard - 1:48 scale - Colonial Brig - first build

Hello Mike,

Really looking smart! I really enjoyed building the deck furniture as it starts to look like it's heading towards the home straight......that is until I started the rigging🙄

Cheers...... Fernando  :cheers:

Current Builds - Colonial Brig Perseverance 1807 by Fernando E - Modellers Shipyard - 1:48 scale

Previous Builds - 

S Lucia by Fernando E - Panart - Scale 1:30

Sloop Norfolk 1798 by Fernando E - Modellers Shipyard - Scale 1:36 

• 2 weeks later...

26/07/21  Working on companionways 

27/07/21  Working on companionways

28/07/21  Working on companionways and started work on other deck accessories

02/08/21  Working on main hatch and forward hatch

03/08/21  Continued working on deck furniture, rudder tiller, winch, hatches and anchors

06/08/21  Big day, glued in place all the deck furniture I made

07/08/21  Made and fitted cat heads and knight heads

08/08/21  Rigged cat heads and started making pin rails and belfry

HTD:  302

.DeckFurniture.thumb.JPG.6725218965cd4038a091a814740e7ed9.JPG

Some of the assembled deck furniture ready to go on

DeckFurn2.thumb.JPG.7a66477bc1a0861b85bc16325d360854.JPG

DeckFurn3.thumb.JPG.d48e04e63573e6ba3b71b6df034a0704.JPG

DeckFurnTop.thumb.JPG.d3eb97e3ef95a84b6fceb21ae45f2112.JPG

Deck furniture in place 

Anchors.thumb.JPG.5a5de7e0e66558baaa9e21e1f2f27802.JPG

Anchors temporarily in place

CatHeads.thumb.JPG.bf4a574455b7cbb3541a70aea69d3d11.JPG

Catheads in place

2073997281_Catheadsandanchor.thumb.JPG.e7ec1dd9e0149203b7ed1245daad6c7a.JPG

Cat heads rigged with anchors temporarily in place

Lifeboats.thumb.JPG.14e2113731d5ed6601783b5223e4d8da.JPG

Next week sees a start on the lifeboats 

So a lot of fiddley things this last couple of weeks. 

Attempted staining the roofs of the companionways but clearly lack experience and expertise. I was just trying to get away from the plain and unattractive ply finish. None the less, to the casual observer I will be perceived as a genius and no one but myself will be any the wiser. Once again I find something that should be a doddle to put together deceptively tricky, some well learned mistakes for next time. The learning curve will steepen further before it wanes I suspect.

I wanted to blacken the eyelets on the hatch covers but wasn't prepared to part with $30 or so for a few drops (100Ml's) of Black-It. I tried the vinegar and salt suggestion for a few days but that just took the shine off and it was no blacker. I then gave them a lovely coat of black primer and and a couple of top coats but this just came off on handling. So I have given in and ordered me some Black-It.

I really enjoyed rigging the cat heads as it was my first foray into rigging and am looking forward to getting stuck into some real rigging in the coming months.

I stuffed up a bit with the knight heads in that when I checked out the base of the bowsprit I checked out too much. There was no measurement given and so I just went by eye. There is only about a 1mm gap between the two heads instead of about 4 or 5 as I see it. Another lesson learned.

So in terms of deck furniture I just have to finish some pin rails and start on the three lifeboats before getting stuck into the masts and yards.

Current builds: Colonial Brig Perseverance,   Brigantine Matthew Turner,  Gorch Fock

Hi Mike

Looks like you're moving at a cracking pace and the model is looking very smart.

Black-It is worth the $30 as it will last a lifetime. I bought my bottle about 5 years ago and haven't used much at all since that time.

Keep up the good work and I look forward to further updates. 

Cheers............Fernando :cheers:

PS. I'm still in Tasmania and not keen to head back to Sydney while the lockdown is still on and Covid numbers are still on the rise. The only downside is that under lockdown I would have more time on important things like working on my Perseverance!!! 🤕

Current Builds - Colonial Brig Perseverance 1807 by Fernando E - Modellers Shipyard - 1:48 scale

Previous Builds - 

10 hours ago, Fernando E said:

PS. I'm still in Tasmania and not keen to head back to Sydney while the lockdown is still on and Covid numbers are still on the rise. The only downside is that under lockdown I would have more time on important things like working on my Perseverance!!! 🤕

Ahhhh Tasmania, do they still carry out public floggings down there or have they moved on?  Ahh the good old days............. :dancetl6:

Current builds: Colonial Brig Perseverance,   Brigantine Matthew Turner,  Gorch Fock

No more floggings but after nearly 7 weeks here am starting to look like a Tasmanian..(..am growing an extra toe!!) 😄😄

Previous Builds - 

50 minutes ago, Fernando E said:

No more floggings but after nearly 7 weeks here am starting to look like a Tasmanian..(..am growing an extra toe!!) 😄😄

So long as you don't sound like one you'll be safe and welcomed back, I say this of course with my tongue firmly embedded in my cheek :)

I just came across your build log, Mike, and your work is excellent especially considering this is your first build. The finish on your hull is beautiful. What varnish did you use on it?

I also see that you have started building the Gorch Frock. I look forward to following that build as well. I've always thought that she is a beautiful ship.

Good luck!

Bob Garcia

"Measure once, cuss twice!"

Current Builds: 

Hms Brig-Sloop Flirt 1782 - Vanguard Models

Pen Duick - Artesania Latina 1:28

Completed: Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Co. 

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

On 8/10/2021 at 12:11 AM, BobG said:

I just came across your build log, Mike, and your work is excellent especially considering this is your first build. The finish on your hull is beautiful. What varnish did you use on it?

I also see that you have started building the Gorch Frock. I look forward to following that build as well. I've always thought that she is a beautiful ship.

Good luck!

Well thank you indeed for your kind words.  So no expert on varnishes or finishes I told the little old lady at Bunnings what I wanted it for and she suggested this one. I knew I definitely did not want gloss and flat was a tad bland. I like the satin finish, for me it's just right. So I gave the hull and deck three coats of sand n seal and three coats of the satin varnish with a very light sand between coats and I was quite pleased with the results.

IMG_4040.thumb.JPG.60f881632ffd341a6fba97c4320650a4.JPG

The Bondall varnish, as it turns out, is manufactured here in Perth WA so bonus there as I like to buy local wherever possible.

I just love the Gorch Fock, a very handsome ship indeed but that build will be put on the back burner while I shortly commence my next build. The current model is rated as a level 2 where as the Gorch Fock is level 4. Having found some aspects of my current build more challenging than expected I have decided to embark on a level 3 build first. That build is also a training ship called the Matthew Turner named after the famous American ship builder of the same name. I will start a build log on that one shortly.

On 8/10/2021 at 6:43 PM, Chook said:

Looking good Mike. You certainly are a hookerinerer. It would have taken me more than a year to get to the same stage. 

Well it's better than sitting in front of the idiot box watching countless videos on model ship building. I spend a couple of hours a day out in the shed and find the building process most relaxing and therapeutic, I guess I am trying to catch up with those whom have been doing it for years.

09/08/21  Working on pin rails. Stained and varnished pins and glued into pin rails

10/08/21  Glued all pin rails in place as well as the belfry 

11/08/21  Started work on lifeboat hulls

12/08/21  Painting of lifeboat hulls

14/08/21  Lifeboat topcoats also stained varnished lifeboat decks and accessories

15/08/21  Assembled lifeboats and rigged 4 blocks in preparation of rigging jolly LB to davits.

HTD:  312

1296747194_PinRailsinplace.thumb.JPG.aa2f8d37fda640723cc9d3d19f34ffdb.JPG

Pin rails glued in place along with the belfry

Lifeboats.thumb.JPG.4b7c4d883ac13a96c5aa6b6ec614e7e5.JPG

Lifeboats ready to be fitted. Blocks are for rear LB suspended from davits.

Fairly easy week. lifeboats were not much of a challenge. I airbrushed the plastic hulls with primer and top coat. Stained and varnished the decks, rudders and oars. Also tried to give oars a rounded finish instead of the square laser-cut finish. All ready to be installed next week.

While the pin rails  were relatively easy to assemble it has to be said I don't like working with  2mm ply. The pre cut pieces had the holes drilled for the pins but these were not big enough so I had to drill them bigger. This procedure tore out bits of the ply and left unsightly gaps to me. I think in future I will manufacture my own parts from solid wood instead of the thin ply.

Looking forward to finishing the lifeboats and starting on masts and yards. 

16/08/21  Fitted and rigged lifeboats to deck

18/08/21  Fitted and rigged jollyboat to transom

19/08/21  - 22/08/21  Started work on fore and main masts

HTD:  325

2123928271_Jollyboat1.thumb.JPG.df8e182c439ab6666b4c8eb55d195869.JPG1048265329_Jollyboat2.thumb.JPG.444afda42cef560f8b94f319f80ed459.JPG

Lifeboats rigged and ready

574351057_ringsoncargohatches.thumb.jpg.dd1b5e56de523481cb995f83b24d55e9.jpg

Black rings added to hatch covers

469941948_Maststrengthenersonforemast.thumb.jpg.51d34fb62d89d8fc2c5bf224d7adc5b5.jpg

Mast strengtheners attached and bound to fore mast

934710028_maststrengthenersbeingbent.thumb.jpg.889076c9d8965488cd0d57c3b2968714.jpg

Mast strengtheners, after steaming, being prepared for main mast. Temporarily taped to a spare piece of dowel.

1472613165_Mastassyprogress.thumb.jpg.6181fcf722e645a5d8d598bc57f20ef0.jpg

Mast production in full swing, nothing glued yet, final positioning a way off yet

So this week saw me make a start, finally on to the masts. Again, much easier watching the experts doing it than doing it myself. I found it a challenge, and will need more practice with cutting/checking rectangular and square, lets call them tenons, and keeping them true to each end.

Even something as deceptively simple as gluing the mast strengtheners to the mast was challenging. I used PVA but found that the .5 x 5mm didn't want to bend around the dowel. So using a series of bulldog clamps down each side saw the laminate split down the middle. I poured thin CA down the crack and sanded back which completely hid the crack. I also noticed that the strips tended to wave about the place and didn't present a true line. I think perhaps CA might have been a better choice of glue for this task. I found the binding of the strips to the mast to be a very easy task

I have steamed and taped the next set of strips around a spare piece of dowel (see pic above). I am hoping this will offer easier placing on the main mast in conjunction with the use of CA instead of PVA.

The topmast platforms call for planking top and bottom and unfortunately I have run out of Silver Ash which is what was used on the main deck. Expecting it to arrive any day now. I have stained the cross trees and trestle trees that lay beneath the platforms, oak,  to offer a little contrast to the paler timbers and also to try and help mask the ply edges.

Hopefully next week I will see this planking finished and the platforms and masts finished with blocks attached etc all ready for some sealing and satin varnishing.

13 hours ago, No Idea said:

Just read your whole build - fantastic job on this ship it looks really nice and clean 👍  I'm looking forward to your updates - BTW  - best forum name ever 🤣

In the words of Monsieur Heisenberg, "Say my name!".  It would appear I stayed up much later than you trying to come up with a name :huh:

Thanks for the warm smoke :36:

• 2 weeks later...

20/08/21  Added strengtheners to foremast

21/08/21  Started preparing fore and main mast tops

22/08/21  Shaped top gallant for main mast. Made and stained cross trees and trestle trees.  Put on rings onto cargo hatch. Cut, shaped and steamed main mast strengtheners and taped them to a  spare piece of dowel

23/08/21  Fitted steamed mast strengtheners to main mast

27/08/21  Silver Ash arrived so continued planking top masts fore and main

28/08/21  Trimmed and cleaned planking to top mast platforms

29/08/21  Added face strips and anti-slip strips to top mast platforms. Glued tree supports under them.

30/08/21  Glued mast tops in place and drilled 12 holes on each for crows feet.

31/08/21  Glued on mast caps, remade cross trestle, prepared blocks for cross trestles

01/09/21  Assembled masts and started preparing blocks for masts

02/09/21  Prepared fore and main mast blocks

03/09/21  Made the rest of the mast blocks

05/09/21  Fitted mast blocks to masts.

HTD:  337

2011773812_Mastassyprogress.thumb.jpg.15820e00b881d933e09134cd3d5501d4.jpg

Masts underway

472949196_ringsoncargohatches.thumb.jpg.1a8976417d2d3169b094fcc662ab4019.jpg

Black rings added to cargo hatch's 

Masts.thumb.JPG.29e06e37fcdd706e8bc529b3e31ddaa5.JPG

Masts with some of the blocks in readiness

1701694202_Blocksformasts.thumb.JPG.4cdbcf00bab23fef73edcdd0adfb7631.JPG

Blocks ready for attachment

1034444660_Mastsgluedtogether.thumb.JPG.21649c009931f9e4c314d0d22e61549a.JPG

Masts assembled but not glued to deck yet.

MastBlocks.thumb.JPG.3e1acd58774343fabd98625deef1d24e.JPG

Blocks attached

Well a busy two weeks found me learning lots more lessons. Some of these lessons will stick others I may have to relearn.

The Silver Ash arrived which allowed me to continue finishing the top mast planking and also got started deck planking on one of my other builds. I also finished the trim on these top masts as well as the cross trees and trestles.

Wasn't very happy with the cargo hatch rings blackening process using "black it". Seems I skipped a very crucial step because I thought the brass rings were clean enough. Turns out,  oxidation and other contaminants can hinder the blackening process. So with the eye pins I washed them thoroughly with Isopropyl first and the end result was perfect. Another lesson learned.

Getting platforms, cross trees and trestles square, straight and level on round masts was not something that came easily to me and I suspect it is something that only experience and practice will improve on. It's amazing how a different day, different light can show up the imperfections in these fixtures.

Overall I was happy with my progress since last installment, I will varnish the masts tomorrow before moving on to the yards and booms.

• 2 weeks later...

06/09/21  Painted mast caps again

08/09/21  Varnished masts

19/09/21  Cut and shaped all yards and stunsail booms

HTD:  342

1249027080_Mastsvarnished.thumb.JPG.11c43bad3dba3a9ea723f1fe007a5e8e.JPG

Masts varnished

1937730797_Yardsandstunsails.thumb.JPG.a98c1b31eda21279a0417bcfa045360d.JPG

Yards cut and shaped

Not a lot of progress since my last installment as I took a week off to travel north to visit WA's wildflowers. Tis the season to be sure and I thought I would beat those pesky kids on skewell holidays in a week or so. 

Anyway, finally finished the masts and varnished them with a satin varnish that I favour. Masts just sitting loosely in their respective locations. Overall I am not happy with them in terms of symmetry but keep reminding myself  this is a steep learning curve. That excuse is starting to sound like a cop out.

I cut all the yards to length as well as the stunsail booms and shaped them all using my little Proxon  mini lathe. I didn't use the chisels just various grades of sand paper so truth be told I could just as easily used a power drill. 

Next week should see me start assembling the yards and fitting the blocks and rigging to same.

Going at a great rate of knots there Mike and looking good👍👍

Cheers........ Fernando :cheers:

Previous Builds - 

• 1 month later...

06/09/21  Painted mast top caps again

08/09/21 Varnished masts

19/09/21  Cut and shaped all yards and stunsail booms

02/10/21  Painted yards

08/10/21  Assembled main yard and glued on strengtheners in middle of yard. 

09/10/21  Sanded main yard strengtheners, glued stunsails in place, bound and varnished entire yard assembly. 

17/10/21  Finished assembling three remaining yards

22/10/21  Started rigging yards and completed Fore Top Yard.

23/10/21  Completed rigging fore top and main yards

HTD:  351

406624068_Mastsvarnished.JPG.8068871ee611399ab756ac3c7762b8b8.JPG

Varnished the masts

1282682133_Yardsandstunsails.JPG.89b01a38f3da9a3ea8024574c3d0b1d0.JPG

Yards cut and shaped

YardsPainted.JPG.9a897d3aa4a36769a588b1eaf2e8ca2a.JPG

Yards painted

611881579_Mainyard.JPG.37fb9369d901d2698d8e796a29fd0d1a.JPG

Main yard assembled with center strengtheners and stunsails added

ForeTopMainYard.JPG.1fa259a46c4761f2be84596ecfa73bfc.JPG

Fore top and main yards complete

So there has been a lengthy spell since my last installment partly due to spending equal amounts of time on my other two builds and a small measure of couldn't be stuffed.

So no real challenges in this last progression. Watching lots of videos to help with techniques for rigging and the like. Despite having a mini lathe it was still tricky getting those yards shaped nicely. I did find it a struggle to get the stunsails nice and straight and square to the yards. You see pictures of them everywhere and I think, that doesn't look to difficult but alas..........

I'm hoping to finish the two remaining yards for the main mast next week and then the installing of the masts and mast rigging commences. I am really looking forward to rigging the mast as it somehow seems like a milestone of sorts. I suspect however that reality will soon wipe the air of excitement from me.

Other confusing contradictions between manual and instructional video had me a little flustered, such as, video states that all pendants should be 75mm but the manual states 45mm, I settled for 55mm as I couldn't see that it was going to make too much difference other than to "historical accuracy".

• The title was changed to Perseverance 1807 by Mike Hunt - Modellers Shipyard - 1:48 scale - Colonial Brig - first build