HMS PEGASUS 1776 by shipphotographer.com - Amati/Victory Models - Scale 1:64

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/21/2021 at 7:25 PM, Techtonic said:

I have this kit sitting on my shelf ready for me to start building in in the next couple of months. So I am very much looking forward to seeing your videos. 

I hope you enjoy it!
I plan to make this model with sails...

4 hours ago, shipphotographer.com said:

I plan to make this model with sails...

Me too! Though I'm still trying to decide whether to make them fully deployed or furled, or somewhere in between.

I made an experimental  test sail with some silkspan a few weeks back so that may be the route I go. But it's definitely not as easy as I was hoping to get a good result.

My last ship, the OcCre Beagle, came with ready made cotton sails, which to my eye actually look pretty good despite the oft stated scale issues with using cotton.

I did find this example of someone else's Pegasus build with sails which might make a useful reference: http://ysmc-world.la.coocan.jp/exhibition/ex2013/16.html. Interestingly it seems like he added an extra royal yard and sail at the top of the fore and main masts.

I'll be following with interest how you do it.

Complete:

OcCre HMS Beagle 1:60

Amati Victory Models HMS Pegasus 1:64

In Progress:

Amati Victory Models HMS Vanguard 1:72

On 7/23/2021 at 3:31 PM, Techtonic said:

Me too! Though I'm still trying to decide whether to make them fully deployed or furled, or somewhere in between.

I made an experimental  test sail with some silkspan a few weeks back so that may be the route I go. But it's definitely not as easy as I was hoping to get a good result.

My last ship, the OcCre Beagle, came with ready made cotton sails, which to my eye actually look pretty good despite the oft stated scale issues with using cotton.

I did find this example of someone else's Pegasus build with sails which might make a useful reference: http://ysmc-world.la.coocan.jp/exhibition/ex2013/16.html. Interestingly it seems like he added an extra royal yard and sail at the top of the fore and main masts.

I'll be following with interest how you do it.

I plan to put sails in "battle" style.
When the largest sails are furled, but the rest are filled with air because the ship still needs to maneuver quickly...

Issue#1 - "Assembly of the skeleton and filling the spaces"
This is a video about the first stage of construction.
A detailed description of the process will be published in my blog.
Which I will also share with you soon...

Thanks for the video - it was excellent! Very well made and it shows very clearly what is required at each step. it looks like it is going to be an invaluable resource when I come to build mine.

Are you planning on doing more videos for the rest of the build? Do you have any estimate of when they will be coming out?

Complete:

OcCre HMS Beagle 1:60

Amati Victory Models HMS Pegasus 1:64

In Progress:

Amati Victory Models HMS Vanguard 1:72

On 7/30/2021 at 11:50 AM, SpyGlass said:

Like the video - just a tip for those following after - place the add on keel bits BEFORE you drill the keel section for the stand fastenings and drill through both at the same time - saves a lot of precise measuring  and awkward drilling to line up later

Thank you!
I always try to glue the keel last if the instruction allows. To avoid scratching it when fairing the hull and sanding the first layer of planks.
Especially since it does not require high accuracy for drilling. You can intentionally make a larger hole in the keel because it will then be hidden with a pedestal.

Edited by Guest

On 7/30/2021 at 6:20 PM, Techtonic said:

Thanks for the video - it was excellent! Very well made and it shows very clearly what is required at each step. it looks like it is going to be an invaluable resource when I come to build mine.

Are you planning on doing more videos for the rest of the build? Do you have any estimate of when they will be coming out?

Thank you!
So I will record the whole process on video and write a detailed blog with explanations to the video. Approximately 1 video per month. It depends not so much on the time spent on construction as on writing and photo&video editing. Based on this model, I will make a step-by-step guide, which I was constantly asked by the channel's subscribers - so it will be a slow process.
P.S. In fact, it took 5 days to build the model that you see in the video, together with waiting for the glue to dry. This is approximately 20% of the time spent on the production of this tutorial.

Please keep doing videos like this.  There are people out there struggling with one step or another.  Some people pay money for this kind of thing.

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/1/2021 at 10:49 PM, BenD said:

Please keep doing videos like this.  There are people out there struggling with one step or another.  Some people pay money for this kind of thing.

The next video will be about the first layer of planks! Since I am writing a detailed step-by-step guide in parallel, it takes a lot of time to edit photos and videos, although I spent only 5 days working on the ship...

On 8/1/2021 at 11:30 PM, SpyGlass said:

Ahhh i didnt say FIX the keel strip - I said drill the holes ! I usually also position it with temporary dowels so I can take it on and off !  For the same reason as you -  to avoid damage while fairing first planking.

post-905-0-76188500-1418248947.jpg
This is one of my Peggies  - wooden temporary dowels in place for keel, stem and stern posts ( though now i use metal) and the pedestal stand holes with temporary bolts in them fitted to the internal captive nuts

Lovely hull!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...