A trend in CAD design is to get away from dependence on paper drawings. For while we had "CAD is the Master", which meant "we'll give you a paper drawing, but you need to build to the 3d model in the CAD file"- for example, working directly from that model to create CNC tool paths. And now we even have "CAD IS the drawing", where you get no paper at all!
Fusion 360 seems to lean that way- it has powerful 3d modeling and CNC elements, but they really dumbed down the 2d print making capability. To the point where you really have to jump through some hoops to make a traditional ship drawing that bench-top model builders can use. 

But I figured out those hoops. 

And- I'm finding that I can easily add views that might not be included on traditional drawings, where the old draftsmen actually seemed to worry about how much paper they used. Here are some examples, with isometrics, starboard AND port side views where it matters, and body sections drawn to both sides (no need to wrassle with flipping paper templates inaccurately around the centerline!).
These examples from my San Francisco fireboat project.

Full "E" size drawings will be posted soon, these are thumbnails:

Body sections on BOTH sides:

LinesTN.JPG.04cb195754e3ea3dc7734d3000199659.JPG

Isometric views:

ISOtn.JPG.b7934be9d4efb8faaf5601c72fefbf9a.JPG

P&S views of the asymmetrical cabin door layout. And front and back, too:

DeckHouseTN.JPG.3d923e0752bf644bbe17ca00084ab753.JPG

And a traditional view:

PlanStbProfileTN.JPG.c1ad57e9ed943abf3f3c7f1f0cd86786.JPG

Pat M.

Matthews Model Marine

Model FUNCTION as well as FORM.

Get your boats wet!

That's pretty darned good, Patrick. I can use AutoCad and Revit and Sketchup, but none of them seem to be terribly good for 3D modelling of ships. I've never tried Fusion, but it looks very good. Do you find it easy to learn/use?

Steven

Edited by Louie da fly

Thanks. F360 is as bad as the others, not only for the learning curve and hull lofting, but also its basic competence. But it's free and I make do, with a fair amount of cussing.

Pat M.

Matthews Model Marine

Model FUNCTION as well as FORM.

Get your boats wet!

3 hours ago, Patrick Matthews said:

Thanks. F360 is as bad as the others, not only for the learning curve and hull lofting, but also its basic competence. But it's free and I make do, with a fair amount of cussing.

From where I sit, "blue air" seems normal whether it's CAD or actually working with the wood.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

• 2 months later...

Now that I’m maybe 9 months into F360 I’m finding it pretty good on the whole. There are some terrible ‘traps’ you can fall into, that will have you turning the air blue, like patterning in sketches (it hates that and will freeze at will) and cack-handed copy and paste functionality, but other features, such as sheet metal, that are godsends. I still haven’t got a grasp on forms, but know it’ll come. On reflection, I’d say it has a short steep initial learning curve, after which you’ll be able to do a lot of stuff, and then a long, long, steady incline as you learn how to do things more effectively.

Patrick, why do you say it’s poor for hull lofting? I’ve seen your work, which is fantastic, and you seem to have successfully lofted your hulls. I don’t have anything that I can compare against so maybe there are better platforms out there, but the  lofting, sweeps, spiralling etc functionality seems pretty good to me.

Current builds:

1) HMS Victory 1:100 (Heller)

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/23247-hms-victory-by-kevin-the-lubber-heller-1100-plastic-with-3d-printed-additions/

2) Bluenose II 1:100 (Billing) - paused, not in the mood

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/30694-billing-bluenose-ii-1100-no600-by-kevin-the-lubber/

3) Cutty Sark 1:96 Revell

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/30964-cutty-sark-by-kevin-the-lubber-revell-196

Stash:

Revell Cutty Sark 1/96 (a spare for later)

Revell Beagle 1/96 (unlikely to ever get built!)

Revell Kearsage 1/96 (can't wait to get started on this)

Revell Constitution 1/96

If at first you don't succeed, buy some more tools.