I was just doing some measurement on my ship and something is out of line. A little twisted I would call it. I've established a string line at shear level that should be parallel with the keel and as I measure from the frame top to the string I'm finding a gradual increase in difference from side to side. Either the stem or stern post is not plumb or my frames start to lean to one side as you move along the ship or a myriad of other possibilities. I realise that perfection is the aim but is 1/16 to 1/8" unforgiveable? I give that range because with the plans stuck on the building board which is 2 pieces of 3/4" ply glued together 15 years ago (It was flat at one time), I don't know for sure how much of that error is in the ship and how much is my measuring technique.

I have no internal stuff glued in so I may be able to pull it straight as I continue to build but I'll have to constantly think about it.

Don, are both ends of the ship supported?   If not, sometimes planking will "warp" things a bit.  Both ends should be supported until either internal or external planking and beams are installed.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

I checked the verticals about three ways and they check out. I checked it for twist by laying two 4" straight edges across it, one of either end and sighted down them lining up the top of one with the bottom of the other. If there is any twist it can't be more than1/16" in the full 4". So I would say not the board.

If I string it from the center of the stem to the center of the stern post the frames midships lean to port almost 1/8".

I'm gluing a block on the sheer of the inside of the starboard side. Then I'm going to put a gillpoke from the block to either the keelson or the turn of the bilge of the port side. If I can push it into shape I'll leave the gillpoke in until the last minute. If that doesn't straighten it out at least everything will be twisted.