Condorcet by Spooky spoon - HobbyBoss - 1/350 - PLASTIC

I bought this kit online a few weeks ago, and I’m ready to start building it now.  This is the biggest kit that I’ve done so far, and it was relatively expensive, so I want to get it right.  I would like to try to add some chipping effects on the hull, and I have some chipping fluid from AK interactive, but I’m not sure about what colour to do the base coat in.  Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated, and I’ll add some pictures once I have something worth taking a picture of. 

You may want to look at the work done by RGL (Greg). He's a master of this kind of work.  CDW is another gentleman to review his work. Have fun and welcome to MSW.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

i will be following, what tools do you have?

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

What?  No magnification?

Chuck Seiler
San Diego Ship Modelers Guild
Nautical Research Guild

Current Build:: Colonial Schooner SULTANA (scratch from Model Expo Plans), Hanseatic Cog Wutender Hund, John Smith Shallop
Completed:  Missouri Riverboat FAR WEST (1876) Scratch, 1776 Gunboat PHILADELPHIA (Scratch 1/4 scale-Model Shipways plans)

Magnification and good lighting are a must in these scales.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

I would think that a hobby knife or scalpel would also be useful, along with a strong carpet blade or metal ruler to help fold and shape the PE.

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

• 2 weeks later...

I've assembled and primed the hull now, but I'll be renting a cottage for the next week, so I'll have to put the model on hold for now.  Also, does anyone have a good technique for painting all those tiny details on ship decks, especially for 1/700 scale?  I've tried using tiny pieces of tape, but that never seems to work for e, and I always resort to doing it by hand.    

13 hours ago, RGL said:

Tape or blue tack, as pretty much everything has to be airbrushed 

Are there any YouTube videos explaining this technique?  Every time I try, a lot of paint ends up bleeding through, and I end up having to do it with a brush

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I’ve sorted out my airbrush, and have finally gotten around to base coating the hull.  I decided to paint it black, and then add some rust effects with oil paints.  Next, I’ll put on a few layers of chipping fluid, and then the hull color.  I got a little carried away with the rust, but it won’t be all that visible once the hull color is on.

EF8C73B6-C164-48EF-8C96-B1A0CF43B5D6.jpeg

ABAA2DA3-A582-4C97-A47A-6FADC5015A58.jpeg

F8E152C0-B7D1-425E-90D6-EE2EC6514A95.jpeg

B2A157C4-D82F-46BB-8368-1EF8E45E4AE1.jpeg

• 4 weeks later...
15 hours ago, RGL said:

What are you using? Airbrush and what type of paint?

I'm using an aztek a470 airbrush with tamiya acrylic paint.  After several hours, I managed to get it working again, but the airbrush is very difficult to put back together again once disassembled.  I do not believe that the airbrush was meant to be disassembled, as doing so voids the warranty, but I got it second-hand, so I figured that I might as well try. 

1 hour ago, RGL said:

I’m constantly stripping and cleaning my airbrush, and I do like their paints, which I think with Tamiya lacquer thinner. Acrylics dry the top very quickly so I also have a cotton bud dipped in clean thinner to while the tip regularly. 

I should probably start doing that regularly