fake johnbull

HMS Bellerophon (1786) by fake johnbull - Amati/Victory Models 1/72 Vanguard kit -

I'm glad to see you and your Bellerophon back, I'm very much enjoying following your progress once again.  I love the "Art brings cheese" saying, you should have a lot of cheese!  :)

Hi Mitsuaki great to see you are back and have your reloaded on the new site it has been missed I look forward to updates of your super work

Ray

I noticed this build log right when I got up today; brewed a nice hot cup of coffee, and have spent the last hour thoroughly enjoying each entry.   Outstanding attention to detail, and descriptions.   Great work!!

Alan

Hello Jason, Guido54, Ray, Aldo and Alan,

Thank you for kind words :)

BTW, the model was displayed at exhibition of Yokohama Sailing-Ship Modelers Club of this spring. Bellow is link to gallery page of the exhibition. Please enjoy beautiful works of the club members. Of course my model is also included in the list.

http://ysmc-world.la.coocan.jp/exhibition/ex2013/ex2013.html

Regards,

Well done, Mitsuaki. The headwork is the most challenging part of a model from this era. Your kit-bash version is terrific. 

Hello druxey,

Thank you for your kind word :)

Before starting of head construction, it was very anxious matter to finish head successfully. But careful procedure resolved everything. Especially template for cathead bracket was the key to successful result.

Regards,

Hi Mitsuaki

I have just rediscovered you wonderful log. I am at the stage of contemplating coppering my Vanguard - something I have not done before. Fortunately I had actually downloaded your coppering from the old website, but this log.is even more helpful.

I would be grateful if you could answer two questions.

1. To be completely sure - you cut  the plates for the stealers to approximately the required shape, but slightly larger. You stick them on. You then partially overlap those plates with the next row of complete plates leaving no gap between the rows of plates. (I hope this makes sense.)  Any overlapping causes no problem?

2. Each row of plates supplied in the kit comprises seven plates. Where possible, did you apply the complete row of seven plates, or apply each plate separately?

Welcome back.

Regards Bob (RMC)

Mitsuaki,

Wonderful to see you back, my friend and taking the time to repost.  Always enjoy reading and learning from your updates. You always come up with great solutions on areas I find most difficult.  Thanks.

Hello ZyXuz, Bob and Len,

Thank you for your kind words :)  I really realise this is a great place to share our knowledge and experience each other. I myself study many things from other member as I noted time to time.

To Bob,

Yes, you are exactly right about interpretation on my coppering procedure. If copper plates have nails represented by "stamp" as can be seen on many kits from other manufactures, it would cause some problem when overlapping them. But copper plates included in Victory Models kits are photo-etched ones and have no protrusion on their surface, so overlapping of plates doesn't cause any problem.

I separated all copper plates. Perhaps unseparated plates would fit well only to keel and garboard strake because of fuller hull shape of wooden warships, although I maybe try fitting unseparated rows in the case of clipper ship :D

Hope these helps.

Kindest regards,

Mitsuaki:  Before making your masts, make sure the boarding pike rings fit.  See my latest post.

Bob (RMC)

Hello Bob and John,

Thank you for your comments :)  

Bob, thank you for your warning on mast construction, though It will take some months (or many years :( ) for me till I go into mast construction. It is very appreciate to avoid possible error from others' experience. Also reading discussion between you and Len, I again realized the importance to read instructions.

BTW, I'm preparing for presentation at seminar of Yokohama Sailingship Modelers Club of next month and writing resume now. (http://ysmc-world.la.coocan.jp/event/kenkyuukai.html

post-266-0-56653200-1376222379_thumb.jpg

Of course I will include introducing our forum to club members in my presentation. I really hope both of forum members and club members enjoying our contents each other.

Regards,

Mitsuaki,

I too hope we get the chance to enjoy each others comments and techniques.  Good luck with the presentation. I wish I could be there for it.

Very nice work.  Just starting my Vanguard, I really like the "walnut square" idea you used for gun ports way back at your beginning.  Your log will be a nice reference for me.

Hello James,

Thank you for salvaging my topic from bottom of the thread list!

Daily life, work and other projects have been preventing me from proceeding the Bellerophon, but I hope I will soon restart her after finishing 1/400 miniature model of US side wheel steamer Powhatan. This model is being built as part of diorama of Commodore Perry's second expedition to Japan. The diorama will be exhibited at Yokohama Sailingship Modelers Club exhibition which will be held coming September.

Regards,

34.jpg

Photo20CorCanSnowberry.jpg

DSCN2919.jpg

DSCN3828.jpg

53 minutes ago, fake johnbull said:

Hello James,

Thank you for salvaging my topic from bottom of the thread list!

Daily life, work and other projects have been preventing me from proceeding the Bellerophon, but I hope I will soon restart her after finishing 1/400 miniature model of US side wheel steamer Powhatan. This model is being built as part of diorama of Commodore Perry's second expedition to Japan. The diorama will be exhibited at Yokohama Sailingship Modelers Club exhibition which will be held coming September.

Regards,

Hi Mitsuaki,

You've certainly not let the grass grow! More great work. I love the Corvette. I built the HMCS Snowberry a lot of years ago.

Thanks for letting me know the status of Bellerophon too. I'm quite inquisitive of this kit at the moment as I will have one delivered here on Monday and also want to build the Bellerophon from the 3 options. 

BTW, I was in Japan a few weeks ago for the Shizuoka Hobby Fair and passed through Yokohama on the Shinkansen on the way from Tokyo Akihabara to Shizuoka. What a great country! Very sorry to leave it.

Good to have you back Mitsuaki.  I finally finished my Vanguard - only took 5 years.:)   I look forward to following your progress with Bellerophon.

All The best Bob (rmc)

Edited by RMC

James,

It is very coincident because I also went to Shizuoka three weeks ago with my Snowberry!

BTW, I gathered my tweets on building records of Snowberry.

Although all texts written in Japanese, English captions on images will help to understand how I modified the Revell 1/144 kit. Although auto English translation isn't perfect, it also help your understanding.

https://togetter.com/li/1194066

Bob,

Congratulation to completion of your Vanguard. I started my Bellerophon about a decade ago, but still requiring to finish hull fittings:Whew:

I will refer your rigging when I start rigging my model:D

Edited by fake johnbull