Photographing HMS Terror artifacts

Whilst reading through Keith S' HMS Terror build ( https://modelshipworld.com/topic/23561-hms-terror-by-keith-s-occre-scale-175-as-she-disappeared-on-her-final-mission-1845-first-wooden-ship-build/?tab=comments#comment-693930 ) ... I saw mention of dives to inspect the ships' remains.   

So I went on a YouTube wander and saw this video where they are bringing artifacts to the surface, inspecting and measuring them and taking photographs.... 'GB Parks Canada explores the wreck of HMS Erebus and collects new artifacts' -  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H33xOPlqrWQ  At 3.37 mins in, we get a glimpse of the photographic set-up used to take the pictures image.thumb.png.544bb970e3a2dece7d5b6019db4c0460.png

Fundamentally, the set-up isn't that different from what a lot of the experienced members on this forum recommend.

Richard

PS: I've dicovered that on this side of the pond we spell it 'artefact' and on the other it's 'artifact'. 😉

Edited by Rik Thistle

Interesting video Richard - thanks for posting.

Btw, I've checked in the dictionary and 'artefact' is the older word (around 1650), being derived from the Latin arte factum - (something) made with skill. 'Artificial' has the same roots, and probably explains why the 'i' snuck in to 'artefact' around 1820. Interestingly the OED considers 'artifact' the more appropriate usage nowadays as the entry for 'artefact' just signposts the newer word. Linguistic convergence across the pond for a change.

Nerdy, me? :rolleyes:

Cheers, Derek

Current build:   Duchess of Kingston

On hold:              HMS Winchelsea

Previous builds:  HMS SpeedyEnglish Pinnace, Royal Yacht Caroline (gallery),

Victory Cross-section (gallery), US Clipper Albatros, Red Dragon (years ago!)

On the stocks:    18th Century Longboat

Rolled white paper is a very common way to take product photos, whatever the subject. The challenge is lighting the paper separately (and much brighter) than the subject of the image. It’s simple but not easy and require the right gear. 

Regards,

Glenn

Current Build: HMS Winchelsea
Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose