Another 'newbie' joins the fold!

Good morning,

As I hope to start work on my first model and report progress on these forums (?fora??) I hope this introduction will set the scene...  Thw word 'newbie' shouldn't be taken too literally!  At 75 years old, I've been involved in a lot of modelling - mainly fine-scale model railways in 2- 4 and 7mm ,and some historical architectural modelling - for some time I was an active modeller/member of The 'Pendon Museum', creating a huge diorama of the 1925-30's Oxfordshire countryside.

However I've always had an interest in all things nautical, stemming from a fascination in SCUBA diving.  I was lucky enough in the early 70's to be involved in the 'Mary Rose Project' - however, working as a police officer cramped my activites in that respect!  However, I maintained my interest later joining the Nautical Archaeology Society, where after being involved in multiple projects I became a NAS Tutor.  Which stood me in good stead when, on retirement from the police I applied to study archaeology at Southampton University. By very good fortune my supervising tutor was Jon Adams who runs the Centre for Maritime Archaeology. This led to a fascinating final interrview ongraduation...  Having kept my involvement with the 'Mary Rose' 'quiet', at the interview Jon (who'd learned about it from another source) pointed out that I actually predated him with my involvement....  Theres a moral there, somewhere - he went on to run the CMA, gained world renown as amaritime archaeologist, whilst I became a 'plod'!

However, I was happy in life (which is the main thing) with my model-making activites supporting my archaeolgical involvement  -we dont do it for the money(!) - until in my early 70's I developed 'shaking hand' syndrome - which makes handling scalpels and hot soldering irons something of trying and occasionally painful experience...  I also found it took a LOT longer to create models - something which I thought unfair to pass along to clients.  So I gave it up...  A subsequent heart attack put paid to diving (just the insurance costs alone were massive), so here I am with LOTS of freee time on my hands, and bored out of my mind to boot!

Then a saw a 'YouTube' article on Philip Reed, a  UK model ship maker, and it whetted my interest again!  So here I am - 21 years(!) old and ready to go!  In maritime terms, my interest lies in the 'Restoration Navy' of the Stuarts, and 'Georgian Navy' of Nelson and his 'Band of Brothers'.  However with age comes a tempering of experience - so nothing 'large' to start with.  I've just ordered 'CalderCraft's 'HMS Sherbourne' - their POF model of 'Mary Rose' will have to wait!

So thanks for reading (Putting up with me) and I hope to be more proactive soon

Regards

Ian

Edited by Ian Barefoot
speling!

Current build HMC Sherbourne - Caldercraft Model (Log in progress)

Next plannned build - the Mary Rose Jotika kit

In Reseach - HMS Tyger 1661

:sign:

Regards, Patrick

Finished :  Soleil Royal Heller 1/100   Wasa Billing Boats   Bounty Revell 1/110 plastic (semi scratch)   Pelican / Golden Hind  1/45 scratch

Current build :  Mary Rose 1/50 scratch

Gallery Revell Bounty  Pelican/Golden hind 1/45 scratch

To do Prins Willem Corel, Le Tonnant Corel, Yacht d'Oro Corel, Thermopylae Sergal 

Shore leave,  non ship models build logs :  

ADGZ M35 funkwagen 1/72    Einhets Pkw. Kfz.2 and 4 1/72   Autoblinda AB40 1/72   122mm A-19 & 152mm ML-20 & 12.8cm Pak.44 {K8 1/2} 1/72   10.5cm Howitzer 16 on Mark. VI(e)  Centurion Mk.1 conversion   M29 Weasel 1/72     SAM6 1/72    T26 Finland  T26 TN 1/72  Autoprotetto S37 1/72     Opel Blitz buses 1/72  Boxer and MAN trucks 1/72   Hetzer38(t) Starr 1/72    

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Welcome to Model Ship World Ian.  You have a lot of experience with modeling and you should do just fine building a wooden ship model.  There are many build logs of the Caldercraft Sherbourne on MSW which should aid you in building your model.  The best advice I can give you is to start a build log of your Sherbourne.  Here you will be able to post your progress and ask questions about your build.  Our members are all willing to help. 

Ryland

Member - Hampton Roads Ship Model Society

- Ship Model Society of New Jersey

- Nautical Research Guild

Current Build - Armed Virginia Sloop, 18th Century Longboat

Completed Build - Medway Longboat

Great introduction Ian. I feel like I know you already. You bring a wonderful background to an equally wonderful Forum. Welcome aboard...Moab

Completed Builds:

Virginia Armed Sloop...Model Shipways

Ranger...Corel

Louise Steam Launch...Constructo

Hansa Kogge...Dusek

Yankee Hero...BlueJacket

Spray...BlueJacket

26’ Long Boat...Model Shipways

Under Construction:

Emma C. Berry...Model Shipways

Welcome to Model Ship World.  The Sherbourne is a really good place to start.  

Ian, a warm :sign:

Please, visit our Facebook page!

Respectfully

Per aka Dr. Per@Therapy for Shipaholics 
593661798_Keepitreal-small.jpg.f8a2526a43b30479d4c1ffcf8b37175a.jpg

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Current: America by Constructo, Solö Ruff, USS Syren by MS, Bluenose by MS

Viking funeral: Harley almost a Harvey

Nautical Research Guild Member - 'Taint a hobby if you gotta hurry

Welcome aboard Ian,

Loved your introduction, it a pleasure to read the various backgrounds of our members who take the time to give a little history!!

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

:sign:

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)