Yoda's Ark, a larger version by Mtdoramike - my next project

After recently finishing the scratch built Yoda's Ark using Pat Tritles plans and built to his specs, I have decided to try and build a bigger version of the Yoda's Ark. The original Yoda measured about 27" in length. I had planned to build a bigger version by adding an additional 3" to make it 30" in length, which was my initial plan. But sometimes planning gets in the way, so now the new Yoda will be 33" in length. I was fortunate enough to find a high quality fiberglass gel coated hull, which I hope will save me a few if not a lot of steps in building a hull. Now it's just figuring out the best way to proceed. My future progress if any may seem a bit unorthodox to some, but my rule of thumb is as always, "the directions you take aren't important as long as you arrive at the same destination.  

DSC01342.JPG

DSC01341.JPG

DSC01343.JPG

DSC01344.JPG

Here is an example of the original version built to Pat Tritle's spec's on the Yoda. The new version will be much larger than the original. This mainly for a visual aid for those who didn't follow my build on the original. And by the way, seeing her tooling around the pond at scale speed was magnificent, I just wish I had videoed it before she found her new home.

DSC01294.JPG.51d8c78a0905fa0029d7548344a78fb5.jpeg

DSC01295.JPG.994d948e29cb05f189cb531d3faa28b7.jpeg

DSC01296.JPG.20e1c62cb738e44ffa0091f8680ef4c4.jpeg

DSC01301.JPG.d0edbb907b46773658d27f1248dca847.jpeg

Edited by mtdoramike

• 2 weeks later...

I have the keel and frames all cut out and installed in the prefab hull. This was a trial and error experience.

The other three pics are of some experimenting I was doing with some .004 gold metal flake that I mixed into some resin and coated a piece of wood with the resin. It turned out exceptionally well. I was thinking, of incorporating just a small amount of metal flake in the clear coat resin say on a mahogany run about. Just enough to give the hull a bit of sparkle in the sun, but not enough to flash like a neon sign. I plan on using the metal flake on the turtle deck on the Dumas Cobra. I'll lay down a coat of gold paint as a base layer, then apply the resin with the metal flake in it over the gold paint. 

DSC01354.JPG

DSC01353.JPG

DSC01355.JPG

DSC01352.JPG

I also flattened out the stern and transome a bit by cutting a 1/4" off the top of the transome plate up the hull for about 4" because this hull was actually made to be a fishing/lobster boat type hull with the up swept bow and stern. I'm keeping the up swept bow, but not the up swept stern.

• 2 weeks later...

I built in the battery box on the top deck as well as laid the subdeck on the top deck. I had to build the front portion up because the top deck extends up 1 1/2" on the original Yoda. I then planked the upper portion with wood planking, then covered over the planking with bondo body filler. I'm now in the process of smoothing and sanding the bondo filler to get it as smooth as possible. 

DSC01356.JPG

DSC01366.JPG

DSC01368.JPG

DSC01370.JPG

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The Yoda is pretty much finished. I'm awaiting a flag for it and a brass bell, which I usually have laying around, but I have been a bit lax on keeoing up with my inventory. The Lady will be setting off to her new home shortly, I'm just enjoying her a bit before she goes and bids me a fond farewell. The person who received the original smaller version of the Yoda also requested this one as well, so now he will have a matching set. It couldn't have worked out better because that was what I was hoping for during the entire build.

DSC01400.JPG

DSC01399.JPG

DSC01398.JPG

DSC01397.JPG

Beautiful work, Mike! Can't wait to see what orphan you adopt next!

Bob Garcia

"Measure once, cuss twice!"

Current Builds: 

Hms Brig-Sloop Flirt 1782 - Vanguard Models

Pen Duick - Artesania Latina 1:28

Completed: Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Co. 

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

Hey Bob, actually my next orphan is a Dumas 1950's Cobra that had been bounced around for about 20 years. Some parts are missing, which is no surprise with orphans, I accept them as they are, not what I what them to be, it's up to me to make them presentable enough to take to the dance and hopefully find a forever home hahahahaha. The original version is like 27", but I plan to stretch it out to about 30" and refigure the transome because it's really not quite accurate to the real Cobra boat. 

This will be my next project, a 1950's Dumas Cobra kit. One of the many previous owners detached all of the parts from the parts sheets, but they at least numbered the parts, which will help. I had to order new plans, as usual they were missing. I'm curious to see what else is missing hahahaha. 

DSC01401.JPG

DSC01402.JPG

DSC01403.JPG

DSC01404.JPG

2 hours ago, mtdoramike said:

This will be my next project, a 1950's Dumas Cobra kit.

This should be an amazing model when you finish her, Mike! That stern fin is wild!

Bob Garcia

"Measure once, cuss twice!"

Current Builds: 

Hms Brig-Sloop Flirt 1782 - Vanguard Models

Pen Duick - Artesania Latina 1:28

Completed: Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Co. 

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

Thanks Bob, the Chris Craft Cobra is one very unique boat to say the least. I received some bright gold .004 gold metal flake that I intend to use on the fin by laying a layer of gold paint down on the fin, then mixing the gold flake into epoxy resin and laying a coat of the resin over the gold paint. That gold flake should make that fin sparkle like no bodies business when the light hits it.