Greetings from Seoul, South Korea!

Hi~ my name is Eunsuk Jeon (aka Rock) and I just joined Model Ship World today. I have been following quite a few forums for the past year or so and I have learned so much from many of you! I am currently a member of Korea Model Sailboat Club (since late 2019) and at the moment working on HMS Endeavor from Corel (my second HMS Endeavor) . 

I have been modeling sail ships since 2002, but had quite long dormant interval and sporadic building periods. As such, I do not have many ships under my belt - 1 Cutty Sark (plastic model), 1 Santa Maria, 2 Osebergs, 2 Korean Turtle battle ships, 1.5 HMS Endeavor and 2 small sailing yachts. I usually give out many of the ships that I make to family and friends as presents and I have only recently started to take pictures during building period to post in building logs. The current HMS Endeavor is more or less the first sail ship that I am creating a build log in earnest.

I hope to continue the learning experience by formally joining Model Ship World and hopefully I can make some contributions where possible. 

I am attaching pictures of my last finished ship - Korean Turtle ship built and commanded by Admiral Yi Sun-sin during the Japanese invasion of Korea in 1592. This ship and admiral Yi are the most important historical icon and figure in Korea that Koreans regard admiral Yi not as a simple war hero but as a “holy hero” of Korea who saved the Koreans from the Japanese invasion.

Unlike the first Korean Turtle ship I built long time ago, this one is staying at my home as it was a present to my teenage son.

Have a nice week!

74B51EF8-068F-4DE5-ABD7-C4A584659AD3.jpeg

78CD721F-6520-4FBB-9A57-20E872F70968.jpeg

19A9FCAB-8442-4D84-A1C5-AAEF3733177B.jpeg

FBA56D9B-CDAF-41C3-BE4B-6F5AA7EFB894.jpeg

9E9F7E2C-D0BB-4519-8B71-007B256209EE.jpeg

13446A09-1A08-4AC9-A43C-58DF26F156BF.jpeg

8963AD65-7D20-4DF2-8395-0AAEB42EBA94.jpeg

BB421976-CCD5-474D-BA1D-194107A76D2A.jpeg

35848786-67E6-424F-AB6A-EC8C9E9C7154.jpeg

242E84C4-CA80-44BE-9500-2BDC9AC06F77.jpeg

953F11B4-4D12-4711-B308-C48C603C048F.jpeg

CB4C7F57-47B7-4C61-84C6-08E991F9E0D7.jpeg

FCC3F297-7B10-42E3-BBB1-43606850603C.jpeg

AEE03AA2-60FC-466A-95C3-4257FA1B854D.jpeg

427B2226-D982-43C4-A92B-EBA4AF69BC7A.jpeg

46C21766-8F1D-4FB6-BD7A-9CC958684865.jpeg

Edited by Rock_From_Korea

Regards, Rock

Current project : Golden Hind 1:48 scratch build

Finished projects : HMS Endeavor 1:60 CorelKorean Turtle Ship 1:64 Young Modeler

Welcome to MSW Chun!   I love your model photos and I loved Seoul the last time I was there, some 15 years ago.   The only problem with that visit was I became addicted to Korean food and it is hard to find good Korean restaurants in the USA outside the big cities such as Manhattan.      Still, I get my kimchee from the local Asian markets and it keeps me content!!

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

:sign:

The first time I see a ship like this.
very special 

Regards, Patrick

Finished :  Soleil Royal Heller 1/100   Wasa Billing Boats   Bounty Revell 1/110 plastic (semi scratch)   Pelican / Golden Hind  1/45 scratch

Current build :  Mary Rose 1/50 scratch

Gallery Revell Bounty  Pelican/Golden hind 1/45 scratch

To do Prins Willem Corel, Le Tonnant Corel, Yacht d'Oro Corel, Thermopylae Sergal 

Shore leave,  non ship models build logs :  

ADGZ M35 funkwagen 1/72    Einhets Pkw. Kfz.2 and 4 1/72   Autoblinda AB40 1/72   122mm A-19 & 152mm ML-20 & 12.8cm Pak.44 {K8 1/2} 1/72   10.5cm Howitzer 16 on Mark. VI(e)  Centurion Mk.1 conversion   M29 Weasel 1/72     SAM6 1/72    T26 Finland  T26 TN 1/72  Autoprotetto S37 1/72     Opel Blitz buses 1/72  Boxer and MAN trucks 1/72   Hetzer38(t) Starr 1/72    

Si vis pacem, para bellum

14 minutes ago, allanyed said:

Welcome to MSW Chun!   I love your model photos and I loved Seoul the last time I was there, some 15 years ago.   The only problem with that visit was I became addicted to Korean food and it is hard to find good Korean restaurants in the USA outside the big cities such as Manhattan.      Still, I get my kimchee from the local Asian markets and it keeps me content!!

Allan

Thanks for the warm welcome! It is quite interesting that there are many “Kimchee addicts” outside of Korea, especially in western countries. Hope you get better Kimchee supply soon. If not, you can always make your own  with the help of YouTube!

Regards, Rock

Finished projects : HMS Endeavor 1:60 CorelKorean Turtle Ship 1:64 Young Modeler

Welcome aboard Chun. Your ship is wonderful. Your son must have been very excited with your gift...Moab

Completed Builds:

Virginia Armed Sloop...Model Shipways

Ranger...Corel

Louise Steam Launch...Constructo

Hansa Kogge...Dusek

Yankee Hero...BlueJacket

Spray...BlueJacket

26’ Long Boat...Model Shipways

Under Construction:

Emma C. Berry...Model Shipways

16 minutes ago, Backer said:

:sign:

The first time I see a ship like this.
very special 

Hi Patrick,

Thanks for the warm welcome. I am actually following your Pelican building logs closely as my next project will be Golden Hinde using Aeropiccola plans and scratch built (my first scratch trial). I am learning so much from your logs. So, thank you for that as well!

Regards, Rock

Regards, Rock

3 minutes ago, Moab said:

Welcome aboard Chun. Your ship is wonderful. Your son must have been very excited with your gift...Moab

Hi Moab,

Thanks for the welcome, Unfortunately not as much as I expected.... maybe because it’s a bit small. Hopefully he will like it more later on. 

Rock

Regards, Rock

Rock,

I have made kimchee at home in the past, mainly with large radish and of course the pepper and garlic, etc.   The cabbage kimchee I get here is from Korea and quite good though!!!

Allan

Edited by allanyed

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

Hy Rock,

a very, very nice and interesting Model. And a very interesting representation! Cool build! Love it!

What scale is it? .. and .. how realiable are the plans for that model? How much of the original plans has been available? I guess Korea had to fight with loss of ancient knowledge and written papers / letters due to war damages during the centuries as much as the area which is by now Germany. For example: my mother was able to re-construct our relatives up to about the 30-years war - and before there is nothing written available due to Wallenstein and Gustav Adolf (and others) way of warfare. I would think, Korea had a comparable history with Japanese and Chinese and maybe also other conquerers "passing" the Korean peninsule frequently, right?

Due to your interesting post I am about to learn more about Yi Sun-Sin and that part of history. Thanks for that!

I noticed a while ago that history as described in "western world" is just ignoring history in far east. For example: we name the "battle of Leipzig" (1813 - Napoleon Wars) as "battle of nations" (which may be o.k.) but very often it is claimed to be the "biggest battle in history up to then" .. while there have been much bigger battles in far east even in ancient times and we just ignor them here in "western world".

Same for ship building - those turtles and other eastern ship types are just known by a few. Its cool you show such models!

Thanks for presenting this here - and good luck and a lot of fun with your future builds!

Welcome to MSW, Rock.   Beautiful model of the Turtle Ship.   I've seen 2 other build logs for a turtle ship here on MSW and it is an impressive model.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

56 minutes ago, mtaylor said:

Welcome to MSW, Rock.   Beautiful model of the Turtle Ship.   I've seen 2 other build logs for a turtle ship here on MSW and it is an impressive model.

Thanks Mark! Yes, I have seen these 2 build logs and I was pleasantly surprised. They were well built and the one that was scratch built by Antony was quite impressive indeed.

Rock

Regards, Rock

6 hours ago, Marcus.K. said:

Hy Rock,

a very, very nice and interesting Model. And a very interesting representation! Cool build! Love it!

What scale is it? .. and .. how realiable are the plans for that model? How much of the original plans has been available? I guess Korea had to fight with loss of ancient knowledge and written papers / letters due to war damages during the centuries as much as the area which is by now Germany. For example: my mother was able to re-construct our relatives up to about the 30-years war - and before there is nothing written available due to Wallenstein and Gustav Adolf (and others) way of warfare. I would think, Korea had a comparable history with Japanese and Chinese and maybe also other conquerers "passing" the Korean peninsule frequently, right?

Due to your interesting post I am about to learn more about Yi Sun-Sin and that part of history. Thanks for that!

I noticed a while ago that history as described in "western world" is just ignoring history in far east. For example: we name the "battle of Leipzig" (1813 - Napoleon Wars) as "battle of nations" (which may be o.k.) but very often it is claimed to be the "biggest battle in history up to then" .. while there have been much bigger battles in far east even in ancient times and we just ignor them here in "western world".

Same for ship building - those turtles and other eastern ship types are just known by a few. Its cool you show such models!

Thanks for presenting this here - and good luck and a lot of fun with your future builds!

Danke fuer das Wllkommen, Marcus!

The scale is 1:64 and the reliability of the plan is as good as one can make it given the lack of surviving historical records. Just like you mentioned lots of historical documents did not survive the Korean War and the previous wars. As far as I understand none of the plans (if there were any to begin with) are available at the moment. 

However, we do have several paintings of the Turtle ship surviving to this day. These pictures combined with the extensive war diary of Admiral Yi, we were able to reconstruct much of its shape and design. There are still couple of conflicting theories on 1) where the turtle head was located, 2) number of decks (2 or 3 decks?), 3) armor plates on top of the cover. Other than these 3 major debate points, I believe the overall design and shape are true to historical accuracy. 

Rock

Regards, Rock