Flower-Class Corvette by Yves Vidal - FINISHED - 1/48 - Bensworx Virtual Kit - 3D printed

A little change of pace with some wood planking. It is always nice to go back to the softness and smoothness of basswood wood.

DSC05269.thumb.JPG.7b5add7d7f089981ac07f59da72466d4.JPG

The planking is done with Model Shipways 1/32 x 1/8 strips, carefully cut and fit around the bow breaker.  The second deck (Deck #B) is painted with Tamiya Dark Grey. The "wave shield" is painted with Tamiya Flat White with 60 drops of light gray and 20 drops of IJN gray. Strange recipe, but I like it....

DSC05270.thumb.JPG.c76c5093f5cef570b8eeeb3741037e1b.JPG

DSC05271.thumb.JPG.852a24cae8c72722627093560dd99cb2.JPG

From the color of the breakwater, one can derive easily which Corvette I will be trying to model....

Yves

Edited by yvesvidal

All the decks are fitting perfectly, where I want them to be, and this is what it takes in terms of styrene strips to get to the expected results: 

DSC05268.thumb.JPG.6dd885202dfe848303c383f3afc746b5.JPG

With this "calibration", the transition from planked wood decks and metal decks is smooth and nobody will stumble, during some action.

Yves

Edited by yvesvidal

10 hours ago, yvesvidal said:

Alan, I had no software issues importing whichever file. Note that I am using the CURA program that came with the Creality machine, not the base CURA that you can download for free: 

creality.jpg.c1f44fc45b0be2ce7dbe9c002a958069.jpg

Not sure if it makes any differences. Also, the Profile is set for ENDER-3, but I am sure you have that already.

Creality-2.jpg.4c6a08298da91ed7bb4e99b371c21453.jpg

Yves

Thanks Yves

In another interesting twist I couldn't get the Creality Slicer 4.2 to open. It apparently downloaded okay from the flash drive but trying to open it just brought up the opening page as you show and got as far as "installing plug ins" and then it just disappeared. I'm beginning to feel a bit victimised by all this 😄

I did download the Slicer 4.8.2 from the Creality website and that opened okay. Curiously it gives error messages too for hull sections two and three but it does allow a skirt to be placed around the print.

All very curious

Thanks so much for your help

Alan

10 hours ago, king derelict said:

I did download the Slicer 4.8.2 from the Creality website and that opened okay. Curiously it gives error messages too for hull sections two and three but it does allow a skirt to be placed around the print.

All very curious

Thanks so much for your help

Alan

Alan, I ran into the same issue. My first download was on WIN 7 and it did not work. After installing it on WIN 10, it went fine.

Yves

I recently had to do the same thing for my 3D program.

Why can't they leave well enough alone?

Alan O'Neill
"only dead fish go with the flow"   :dancetl6:

Ongoing Build (31 Dec 2013) - HMS BELLEROPHON (1786), POF scratch build, scale 1:64, 74 gun 3rd rate Man of War, Arrogant Class

Member of the Model Shipwrights of Niagara, Niagara Region, Ontario, Canada (2016), and the Nautical Research Guild (since 2014)

Associate member of the Nautical Research and Model Ship Society (2021)

Offshore member of The Society of Model Shipwrights (2021)

Yves, fascinating project....I've got nothing to add here but would like to watch and learn.  Great results so far.

Cheers,

Jason

"Which it will be ready when it is ready!"

In the shipyard:

HMS Jason (c.1794: Artois Class 38 gun frigate)

Queen Anne Royal Barge (c.1700)

Finished:

HMS Snake (c.1797: Cruizer Class, ship rigged sloop)

Egilman, I feel the same as you regarding the future of modeling but I am an old man that just crossed from split to smart phones recently. I hope that the younger generation provide us with the parts resulted from 3D printing.

Ras

Current builds:

Stern Paddle Wheeler ZULU-1916-1/48 scale

Previous builds:

Freccia Celeste-1927 350cc racing motorcycle-1:9 scale-Protar kit

Boeing B17F- 1/72 scale- Hasegawa kit

HMS Mimi-scale 1/24-Fast Motor Launch                               

Amapá 1907-1/64 scale-Brazilian Customs Cruiser

Scottish Motor Fifie. 1/32 scale. Amati kit

Patricia. Steam powered R/C launch. 1/12 scale. Krick Kit

African Queen. Steam powered  R/C launch. 1/24 scale. Billings ki

Emma C. Berry. Sailing fishing smack. 1/32 scale. Model Shipways kit.

2 hours ago, Ras Ambrioso said:

Egilman, I feel the same as you regarding the future of modeling but I am an old man that just crossed from split to smart phones recently. I hope that the younger generation provide us with the parts resulted from 3D printing.

If you haven't seen it, we now have an area for 3D printing and laser cutting.  https://modelshipworld.com/forum/172-3d-printing-and-laser-cutting/

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

This is coming along so nicely.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

8 hours ago, Ras Ambrioso said:

Never too old to learn something new. You can decide later to live with it or leave it, can't you? Age starts when you thinks you're old :)

Roka, I agree but I am too far behind to catch up. It’s like learning a new language at our age and add to it a short memory and you got me. 

Ras

Current builds:

Previous builds:

1 hour ago, Ras Ambrioso said:

Roka, I agree but I am too far behind to catch up. It’s like learning a new language at our age and add to it a short memory and you got me. 

I like your reasoning. I'll try it instead of saying "I'm old and my brain is full".

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

8 hours ago, Ras Ambrioso said:

What short memory? I forgot the thread, need to re-read to remember :)
Anyway, and more seriously - i got you. However, i believe that time is the matter only: a younger could learn it faster, you and me can learn it slower, with more practice and maybe a lot of trial and error. I did try learn new technologies many times in my life, and succeeded - sometimes age and experience (especially the logical and analytical approach, which comes from the real life experience, lets say age) is a great advantage.

Cheers

Roka

On 8/2/2021 at 6:37 PM, yvesvidal said:

A little change of pace with some wood planking. It is always nice to go back to the softness and smoothness of basswood wood.

The planking is done with Model Shipways 1/32 x 1/8 strips, carefully cut and fit around the bow breaker.  The second deck (Deck #B) is painted with Tamiya Dark Grey. The "wave shield" is painted with Tamiya Flat White with 60 drops of light gray and 20 drops of IJN gray. Strange recipe, but I like it....

From the color of the breakwater, one can derive easily which Corvette I will be trying to model....

Yves

love the precise 60/20 drops, lol would you notice 59/20

the build is certainly coming along nicely, well done

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

im all for 3d printing, providing it still encourages the hobby of model making in general, no doubt though, another way ahead will arrive one day

i remember a STNG episode, where carving was laser driven by mind thoughts 

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

On 8/3/2021 at 3:21 PM, Ras Ambrioso said:

I haven't even got to split phones yet... {chuckle} And I don't know about younger people, they view the world a lot different that we older farts do....

Current Build: F-86F-30 Sabre by Egilman - Kinetic - 1/32nd scale

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

Terminated Build: F-104C Starfighter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

"Relish Today, Ketchup Tomorrow"

1 hour ago, Kevin said:

im all for 3d printing, providing it still encourages the hobby of model making in general, no doubt though, another way ahead will arrive one day

i remember a STNG episode, where carving was laser driven by mind thoughts 

Yep I remember that one as well, but it highlighted the creativity aspect of modeling and made the creative part as easy as thinking I want it this way.... Did nothing for the art of building....

3D modeling is going to blend the creative part with the building part, (build it in the computer then send it to a file) the printing part becomes nothing but a mechanical representation of your computer skills.....  I supposed the finishing, (painting) will get finer and finer though until they figure a way to computer control that as well...

In the end, like in Star Trek all you will have to do it ask the computer for whatever you want and a replicator will energy matter transfer it onto your replicator pad, all finished and ready to display.....

Damn, that's a bleak future for modeling......

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

Egilman, i disagree. The laser cutters and 3D printers are just new tools. Computers are just blind and dumb devices without any brain, they're just helping us to find new ways to creativity. Think of that 3D printing allows you and other fellow modelers to cast more detailed tiny pieces (or even giant hulls) with incomparable details. The difference is HOW we are using them. You can print whole ships or small portions, the approach is the difference. And i can live both approach, every modelers has to find his/her favorite way.

46 minutes ago, Veszett Roka said:

And i can live both approach, every modelers has to find his/her favorite way.

I completely agree as long as it is recognized that technology is going to make us builders scarcer and scarcer....

Quote:

1 hour ago, Veszett Roka said:

Computers are just blind and dumb devices

Shhhhhh!

They're  listening.    

Alan O'Neill

Ongoing Build (31 Dec 2013) - HMS BELLEROPHON (1786), POF scratch build, scale 1:64, 74 gun 3rd rate Man of War, Arrogant Class

Member of the Model Shipwrights of Niagara, Niagara Region, Ontario, Canada (2016), and the Nautical Research Guild (since 2014)

Alright, I have come now to a point where I need to take a decision about the specific Corvette I want to model. As indicated, the kit provides for a Generic Modified Corvette (Long forecastle), designed for Radio Control and navigation. Many Corvettes were built, modified and retro-fitted during their short lives and choices are multiple and varied. I am not going to improvise and will try to stay within the Corvette Classics, for multiple reasons: 

- The colors

- The availability of pictures and plans

- The relative "neutrality" of the Builder Country, during WWII

- The name and what it evokes.

snowberry.thumb.jpg.1ee0f707c17a023ca064ffd4736d6e26.jpg

I am sure you all have guessed, what it will be.

Yves

Edited by yvesvidal

Going back to Egilman. It seems to me  that the 3D is nothing more than a parts making machine instead relying on a kit maker or in your construction abilities. Then modeling becomes , like Roka says, a computer ability test. But you will have to to still assemble the parts and this is really what we do.

So I am OK with both alternatives but I don't think I can handle the computer side so I will continue buying kits or making my parts the old way.

Ras

Current builds:

Previous builds:

BTW Ives, your corvette looks beautiful and I am looking forward to see it grow in details.

Ras

Current builds:

Previous builds:

Posting some progress. The hull is almost completely painted. Everyone will have recognized the patterns of the HMCS Snowberry: 

DSC05280.thumb.JPG.38e29edf8024b766aa2a8fdf4f66e1f6.JPG

When painting that large hull, you need to use a lot of paints. The black is an entire Tamiya Flat Black XF-1 can of 23 ml. An entire can of XF-2 white 23 ml went also into painting the white part. Blue is Tamiya Light Blue and green is a mix of XF-2 and XF-5 Green.

DSC05281.thumb.JPG.b64a0216054762a1021442fe7084b0ea.JPG

It is starting to come along and it is  nice to display some details on the decks.

DSC05282.thumb.JPG.d18253cd18bfbaa18c954146580cbce6.JPG

My problem now is how to create the markings on the Hull: "K166" and the measuring ladders at the stern and bow. Decals is not an option because the surface is not flat enough. Perhaps, masking or pre-cutting with a mask machine (unfortunately I do not own one). I am not feeling good enough to do it with my free hand.

DSC05283.thumb.JPG.4c2ac643bd7f323c8a12675d23f11de1.JPG

Nothing is glued yet. Just resting on the hull.

DSC05284.thumb.JPG.efa7cdb1d18c819ad786ffbd60bee8be.JPG

Yves

Wish I could offer some advice about stenciling but I suppose that will be one more thing I'm about to learn.

Alan O'Neill

45 minutes ago, yvesvidal said:

Perhaps, masking or pre-cutting with a mask machine (unfortunately I do not own one). I am not feeling good enough to do it with my free hand.

A suggestion?

Thin copy paper, find the font you like, scale to the size you need, print, cutout the individual number/letters, soak in a 50/50 mix of PVA and water, stick it to the side, when dry, clear flat overcoat it....... I've seen it done on much smaller models.... 

2nd method?

Heavy paper like card stock, find the font you like, scale to the size you need, print, cutout the individual number/letters, use the sheet as a template for spray painting them on....

Numbers/letters in that size are easy with a computer....

Edited by Egilman

Quote: