Oxy/Butane Micro Torch Kit

I'm considering upgrading my current butane torch to a Smith Little or Smith Little "knock off". I noticed this kit:

https://www.hampdon.com.au/uweld-micro-torch-kit-for-cutting-welding-brazing

I've went and had a look at the kit, the handpiece seems reasonable, but the tips seem low grade. Replacement tips are about $7 AUD each. Has anyone had experience with this kit?

Grant.

The little version on this would fit what were essentially hypodermic needles - all metal and not stainless steel as a tip for a micro flame.  I think the ones I have are ~12 G. 

Would one of those push fit over one of your tips?  If that worked, it would get you more use from even a low grade tip.

We used 12 G to make up IV solutions in the sterile hood.  I am not sure - it has been a long time, but I think they were all metal.  Heat transfer might make using needles with a plastic hub an interesting experience.

NRG member 45 years

Current:  

HMS Centurion 1732 - 60-gun 4th rate - Navall Timber framing

HMS Beagle 1831 refiit  10-gun brig with a small mizzen - Navall (ish) Timber framing

The U.S. Ex. Ex. 1838-1842
Flying Fish 1838  pilot schooner -  framed - ready for stern timbers
Porpose II  1836  brigantine/brig - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers
Vincennes  1825  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers assembled, need shaping
Peacock  1828  Sloop-of -War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Sea Gull  1838  pilot schooner -  timbers ready for assembly
Relief  1835  ship - timbers ready for assembly

Other

Portsmouth  1843  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Le Commerce de Marseilles  1788   118 cannons - framed

La Renommee 1744 Frigate - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers

Go with the tried and true Smith Little Torch.  Quality w/o questions of reliability.

Kurt Van Dahm

Director

NAUTICAL RESEARCH GUILD

www.thenrg.org

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS

CLUBS

Nautical Research & Model Ship Society of Chicago

Midwest Model Shipwrights

North Shore Deadeyes

The Society of Model Shipwrights

Butch O'Hare - IPMS

The cylinders shown are small but one doesn't need a gas leak of any size.  My little torch is set up on much larger tanks.  Tanks should always be turned off when finished. 

Kurt Van Dahm

Director

NAUTICAL RESEARCH GUILD

www.thenrg.org

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS

CLUBS

Nautical Research & Model Ship Society of Chicago

Midwest Model Shipwrights

North Shore Deadeyes

The Society of Model Shipwrights

Butch O'Hare - IPMS

The torch pictured is a Chinese knock-off of a Smith's Little Torch. I have one and I'd say that it has proven adequate for several years of limited hobby use, but I had problems with it at the outset. The oxy hose leaked something terrible, but not so I noticed it. I thought I was getting half empty bottles from the hardware store before I followed the instructions (duh!) and tested every fitting junction and discovered the hose clamp wasn't making a tight connection. One mini-hose clamp later and I was good to go. There's a serious price difference between the real Smith's Little Torch and the knock-offs. (The AU price on the one pictured is astronomical! Shop around on the internet for the best prices. I got mine in the US from Harbor Freight mail order for about $60 US, as I recall.) 

I didn't know I was buying a knock-off when I bought my torch, although I was suspicious because of the lower price. The knock-offs are practically indistinguishable from the real Smith's Little Torches. The difference in price has to do with the tips and sloppy assembly on the hose connections. The real Smith's torches have high quality tips that work better and last longer. At less than $150 for the disposable tank kit, I urge you to buy the real Smith's Little Torch instead of a cheap knock-off or out-and-out counterfeit. (The counterfeits even copy the Smith's instructions and box appearances, which call them Smith's torches.)  https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000T43L30?SubscriptionId=AKIAJA54JMESX73IGPXQ&ascsubtag=719191942-16-963305102.1626138622&linkCode=osi&psc=1&tag=d_2b_a_p-20&th=1

Research it further on YouTube. There' s a ton of very good videos on the subject of these "little torches." I consider one essential for fine silver soldering. They are widely accepted as the industry standard in the jewelry business. Just don't get suckered into buying a knock-off thinking you're getting a bargain. See: https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=Smith+Little+Toroch

Edited by Bob Cleek