when to rig the shrouds to the deadeyes.

I am rigging the shrouds and have a question. When I looked for help on how to rig the shrouds, the videos showed the shrouds off the mast. I was taught to rig the shrouds when they are on the mast. I use a device to hold both of the deadeyes at a predetermined distance then seize the shroud to the upper deadeye.

If one rigs the shroud off the mast, how do you know the proper distance between the deadeyes when you install the shrouds on the mast?

I am in agreement with your former approach as well. The only caveat that I have used is that I set up one end of a shroud (that saddled a mast) with seizing and then as you say use a simple separartion jig or element for both the finished deadeye and the one to be finished and seize the latter. i just haven't had a satisfing result using an off mast jig to execute this need as the strapped and free deadeye separations never aligned.

Joe

Bob,

As the shrouds are in pairs except for a swifter when there are an odd number of shrouds I cannot see how anyone can get the two upper deadeyes in any given pair at the right position if done off the model.  Even the swifters, which would have a  splice so there is one swifter port and one starboard, would be problematic.   If you do a search here at MSW on setting up shrouds there are a lot of posts on how others have gone about setting up the shrouds with success.  

Allan

Edited by allanyed

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

• 5 weeks later...

I have heard once or twice about rigging the deadeyes  before setting the shrouds, but I don't think I have seen it demonstrated.

If it works for you, perhaps you could share your method.

The shrouds are seized in pairs, alternating port and starboard, so if you have already attached them to the deadeyes you would have to allow for some slack to be taken up.  The shrouds are not actually attached to the mast.

image.png.df7fc3e7942da21125d628c2c7ebad61.png

Actual practice is done in a certain way for reasons that work.   For the most part actual practice works best on the model.

Lay the shrouds then set the deadeyes with a lanyard.  Using a spacer to set the lanyards may be helpful.  It is easier to attain equal

spacing on a full size rig without a spacer  than it is on a model..

image.png.c27a205079abf161ee16c8f9a64855a8.png

I borrowed some images from Glenn Barlow's Cheerful for good examples..

When you ask for help, the best we can do is show you how it is usually done.  When you choose to use a different method, it is harder to provide guidance after the fact.

Luck is just another word for good preparation.

—MICHAEL ROSE

Current builds:    Rattlesnake (Scratch From MS Plans 

On Hold:  HMS Resolution ( AKA Ferrett )

In the Gallery: Yacht Mary,  Gretel, French Cannon

6 minutes ago, Gregory said:

borrowed some images

I thought those look familiar, glad they are helpful. 

I agree, in theory maybe one deadeye of the pair could be rigged, only if the shrouds aren’t served, but I don’t know why you would. As others noted the challenge is both getting the spacing the right distance and all shroud deadeyes in line. I don’t know how you’d do that off the ship. Plus I don’t think it would be easier off the ship anyway. 

Regards,

Glenn

Current Build: HMS Winchelsea
Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose

Something I learned from you and Chuck is to set up as much of the  running rigging as you can ( up to a point without tying off ) before permanently setting up the shrouds and stays.

—MICHAEL ROSE

Gregory, 

I have never heard of installing running rigging before the standing rigging  but it does sound interesting.      I understand setting up blocks and lines to the spars and such before setting the spars in place and securing the running lines but that would be about it.   I can see how the standing rigging might be in the way at times, but the same would hold true, even more so, if the reverse is done and the standing rigging had to go around the running rigging.  

Govtech,  You might want to consider investing in a good "how to" rigging book such as volume IV of The Fully Framed Model.    

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

2 minutes ago, allanyed said:

I have never heard of installing running rigging before the standing rigging  but it does sound interesting.    

Not all of it, of course. and it would vary depending on the rig.

I was thinking more about the cutter rig with the boom and gaff..  There are several lines that are easier set up  but not tied off, before setting up all the standing rigging..  On a two or three mast ship it gets more complicated..

—MICHAEL ROSE

On 8/13/2021 at 1:53 PM, allanyed said:

Gregory, 

I have never heard of installing running rigging before the standing rigging  but it does sound interesting.      I understand setting up blocks and lines to the spars and such before setting the spars in place and securing the running lines but that would be about it.   I can see how the standing rigging might be in the way at times, but the same would hold true, even more so, if the reverse is done and the standing rigging had to go around the running rigging.  

Govtech,  You might want to consider investing in a good "how to" rigging book such as volume IV of The Fully Framed Model.    

Allan

I thought the above what I said would work but then I went down the YouTube rabbit hole and found a few good videos on rigging the shrouds and dead eyes ,I will do that instead