Titanic 1912 by Winnie - Trumpeter - 1/200 - PLASTIC

Hi good folk of MSW!

I will try something I haven't done since I screwed up my friend's Tirpitz when I was about 14... I do build models and have some skill, but I don't measure up to most on here!

On to the build, I sold a few kits to make the Titanic fit the budget, and refurnished the model headquarters so that I could have a dedicated desk to my ship, whilst I also work on my other larger scale projects. I got the kit a couple months ago, and have started cleaning up decks to receive the wooden deck parts, and done some minor photo etch work, just ensure I can actually do this! PE is not my favorite material to work with, but I will attempt to do the ship some justice with these parts.

My plan is to build subassemblies where I can, and join these together as the build progresses. I have watched a few videos on Titanic builds and other ship builds to see what order I should work in, and what aftermarket sets to get. My 'research' has led me to get the KA Models from Korea for their set, which has PE, 3d printed parts, resin parts, and wooden decks. I have also gotten "fiber optic" strands to do the portholes, I got 5 different sizes, 1, 1.5, 2, 2.5 and 3MM and also ordered drill bits to the same size so I can install and light the model completely. I have looked at the portholes  from Scale Warship, but they don't seem to have them anymore. I also was looking at Stern Plates upgrades from MiniBrass in France, but I'm afraid that may be out of my skill area. We shall see!

Anyway, here is a picture of the model as she sits on my new work-table the kit is about 4.5 feet long so it takes most of the desk space, once I've "finished" the hull, I may move it to a side table so  I can do sub assemblies and other projects at the main table. 

G4zhsTj.jpg

The wiskers is drill swarf from the port holes, I've used Porthole Jiggs from Nigels Modeling Benc to drill pilot holes on all the ones that are to be drilled.

Thank you for letting post in this exceptional group of modelers!

Finally, someone will cover that MONUMENTAL kit from Trumpeter. I have been waiting for this moment, a long time.

Thank you so much Winnie for launching this massive endeavor. We will all enjoy it immensely.

titanic.jpg.f4e45c19cfc74c628efe8478f7f3ca2a.jpg

For information, there is a very active Forum on the Titanic, in French (not sure if you can decipher it or not), but it has a lot of information and these guys are searching around the world for after-market parts to make the model even better than it is: 

https://www.laroyale-modelisme.net/f32-montages-titanic-sisterships

and this one in particular: 

https://www.laroyale-modelisme.net/t25181-montage-titanic-trumpeter-1-200-par-le-barbenchon

Yves

I'm looking forward to seeing your progress! I like your idea of building sub-assemblies. It seems like a good way to avoid feeling overwhelmed. Bon voyage!

Mike

currently SE of Disorder

Current Build: HM Cutter Lady Nelson - Amati

Previous Build: Swift 1805 - Artesania Latina

Hi Winnie,

i'm following your project with interest. I have built (well before the 1997 film) the Academy 1:350 as a technical demonstrator for absolute beginners, what you can achieve with no tools other than a knife and some brushes. Wasn't a pleasant build though, but the result is not at bad as i think.
So i'm really curious about this huge kit, what are the differences and similarities, what changed in the past 30+ years.

20210714_181038.jpg

Edited by Veszett Roka

On 7/13/2021 at 11:47 AM, yvesvidal said:

Finally, someone will cover that MONUMENTAL kit from Trumpeter. I have been waiting for this moment, a long time.

Thank you so much Winnie for launching this massive endeavor. We will all enjoy it immensely.

titanic.jpg.f4e45c19cfc74c628efe8478f7f3ca2a.jpg

For information, there is a very active Forum on the Titanic, in French (not sure if you can decipher it or not), but it has a lot of information and these guys are searching around the world for after-market parts to make the model even better than it is: 

https://www.laroyale-modelisme.net/f32-montages-titanic-sisterships

and this one in particular: 

https://www.laroyale-modelisme.net/t25181-montage-titanic-trumpeter-1-200-par-le-barbenchon

Yves

Wow what a build! I'm struggling with the language a bit, but I will prevail!

I'm not that good a modeler, but I will try! Thanks Yves!

I crumpled, and ended up buying the MiniBrass from France's stern plates and details... We will see if I can do it justice!

On 7/14/2021 at 8:07 AM, Veszett Roka said:

Hi Winnie,

i'm following your project with interest. I have built (well before the 1997 film) the Academy 1:350 as a technical demonstrator for absolute beginners, what you can achieve with no tools other than a knife and some brushes. Wasn't a pleasant build though, but the result is not at bad as i think.
So i'm really curious about this huge kit, what are the differences and similarities, what changed in the past 30+ years.

20210714_181038.jpg

I know this was created from 3D files painstakenly developed over many years of pictures. There is an interesting video on youtube about it. Every rivet, and porthole was studied. The most accurate structure created or may ever will be of the titanic.

On 7/13/2021 at 5:47 PM, yvesvidal said:

Yves

i must  admit im surprised no one else on here has started this build

i was one of the many that was not kind to Trumpeter over the design and pre release of this kit, there are still flaws with the design which they chose to ignore, to top it all they then put the funnels on back to front in the preproduction photos

however, it does build into a lovely build, and i am looking forward to watching this take shape good luck @Winnie

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

Thanks for the kind comments sailors! Much appreciated. I too was surprised there was no builds here. I've ben looking for some that have done the ship just to see techniques etc. I've been watching a couple of video builds on YouTube, but they are slow, just like me! 

OK, I wanted to touch some glue to plastic, I decided to start with the deck houses, and do them as mini-kits within the kit itself. I started with sanding off any minor detail that needed gone. Basically I have cleaned all the decks to be ready for the wooden deck, and now I did all the sides of the Boat Deck-houses. there were hatches, railings and ladders to remove.

The first one I completed only had 2 portholes, 1 hatch/door and a ladder. this one sits on top of the 2nd class promenade entrance. I also started with the windows, for the actual entry, but will have to figure out how to diffuse and distribute the light this far up on my kit. I have thought of using parchment paper without wax glued behind the windows, clear acetate behind the PE then the PE frame, I guess all I can do is try!

So, not much to show, only had 1 hour at the bench yesterday, but better than no hour!

7jhDQRo.jpg

Deck-houses with details removed

The door looks crooked, but I swear it's straight!

eEkNgAL.jpg

Where the little house goes:

syqzz0e.jpg

The window frames fit very exactly into the frames. Now I just have to figure how to get the "glass" cut. I may try to use my wife's Cameo cutter.

omiQ1AN.jpg

There are quite a few of these, and there are 3 points to remove on each.. careful but relaxed work!

BUUWiwD.jpg

Winnie,

If you plan to put lights into this model (and you should do it), you will have to paint the inside of the walls with matte black paint. Otherwise, it will leak through the plastic or any white paint on the outside. Be very meticulous there and do not let a single area unpainted, on the inside.

I had to fight this with my Trumpeter submarine and the Moebius 2001 Discovery space ship. Light leaks are ugly and ruin the overall appearance of the model.

Yves

Edited by yvesvidal

On 7/22/2021 at 8:51 AM, Winnie said:

Thanks for the tip @yvesvidal! I will certainly paint the interiors! I will use the Tamiya LP-4 flat black lacquer paints!

I obviously don't know my Tamiya LP colors yet... LP-4 is white! lol. No I shall use LP-3 Flat Black internally, a much better choice.

I also decided to do the windows on the deckhouses, instead of manually cutting them in acetate, I decided to utilize my wife's Silhouette Cameo 4, after all I bought it for her (with ulterior motives...)

pjYTHT1.jpg

Without the windows the houses would look something like this:

znMOU0q.jpg

when I added the "glass" they look more like this:

yvjL7LN.jpg

I obviously have to add the frame on the second one, I just used this as an example.

I made almost all the windows that are on the various decks, except the ones that already have "stained glass" included from the aftermarket set.

M50X7Vg.jpg

I thought of making it for sale, and I had good response already! 

Anyway, A good use of my time at work, sitting alert!

Edited by Winnie
Image links

• 6 months later...

any more progress on this build ?

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

• 3 months later...

lol thats a no then

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

Finished     

• The title was changed to Titanic 1912 by Winnie - Trumpeter - 1/200 - PLASTIC