Fowler Class Z7 Steam Ploughing Engine in 1:76 scale

1 hour ago, wefalck said:

" ... But I digress, sorry.... "

Yes, the original post was about steam-ploughing machinery ;)

My sincere apologies, I do sometimes drop into a few rabbit holes.... (but that is a big part of my modeling, history, and all the connections between sometimes very disparate things)

Current Build: F-86F-30 Sabre by Egilman - Kinetic - 1/32nd scale

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

Terminated Build: F-104C Starfighter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

"Relish Today, Ketchup Tomorrow"

I agree, that digressions into contextual aspects of the modelling subjects can be very interesting, as they help us to understand why things are as they are and how they were used ...

The pieces of industrial history you mentioned are very interesting as such and over here in Europe we are certainly not aware of the details and interconnections.

I could bend the story from IC powered tractors back to steam-powered farm implements by mentioning, that another big US American farm-machinery manufacturer, John Deere, bought out in 1956 a well-know German manufacturer, who started off with farm machinery in 1859 and then took up building portable steam-engines (locomobiles) in 1878 to become the biggest manufacturer in Europe. In the early 1920s they began to develop the IC powered tractor and the Lanz 'Bulldog' was successful well into the 1960s in its various variants, including road tractors that took over the role of steam traction-engines for heavy haulage.

wefalck

panta rhei - Everything is in flux

M-et-M-72.jpg  Banner-AKHS-72.jpg  Banner-AAMM-72.jpg  ImagoOrbis-72.jpg

7 hours ago, wefalck said:

I could bend the story from IC powered tractors back to steam-powered farm implements by mentioning, that another big US American farm-machinery manufacturer, John Deere, bought out in 1956 a well-know German manufacturer, who started off with farm machinery in 1859 and then took up building portable steam-engines (locomobiles) in 1878 to become the biggest manufacturer in Europe. In the early 1920s they began to develop the IC powered tractor and the Lanz 'Bulldog' was successful well into the 1960s in its various variants, including road tractors that took over the role of steam traction-engines for heavy haulage.

I consider the Lanz bulldog and the British made Field-Marshall "honorary steam tractors". They're also great "party trick" tractors, the Lanz because it can run without the single cylinder engine completing a full revolution, and the Field-Marshall because of the unique method used to start the engine.

And just for good measure, some steam:

Andy

Quando Omni Flunkus, Moritati

Current Build:

USF Confederacy