USS Langley by RGL - FINISHED - Trumpeter - 1/350 - PLASTIC

I have a 1/32 Kingfisher kit and it's going to be hard for me to replicate that look!  I can only imagine at 1/350.  But, I'm sure you'll do a great job on them.    

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

On 9/7/2021 at 9:14 PM, CDW said:

Last year I ordered a couple of kits from Russia that took over three months to arrive. Hung up somewhere in Europe from what I've been told. Makes me leery ordering from Russia now. 

On 9/8/2021 at 7:01 AM, RGL said:

I have always had to wait three months from there, the last time it took 2 months to leave their own country! They have nice stuff but using a horse and cart as UPS

I placed an order with NorthStar back in June, and the package for some reason sat for two months and then wasn't allowed to leave the country due to paperwork issues.  The NorthStar folks were very nice and apologetic, so hopefully round two will go a little smoother.  Definitely need to order way in advance from Russia, Ukraine, etc.

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

1 hour ago, mikegr said:

I ordered some PE from Russia. They have a very detailed tracking system. First time I see an exporting item going through customs on departure country.

Same stuff with Speedpak with E-Bay. You pass the USA customs in China, before loading on the plane or the ship. No need to carry it, if it does not pass the customs.

Yves

Great progress Greg. Planes, guns, boats, and at last PEOPLE!:D 

I do have one question though. Did you find some reference that the Langley carried any Kingfishers before she was sunk? They were very hard to come by in 1940 and 41. I know that there were several squadrons of SOC Seagull aircraft assigned to the Asiatic fleet along with the Catalina's at the opening of WWII. and of course the cruisers were still using them but I thought that the only ships and units that had Kingfishers were training units and battleships at that point.

My favorite flying boat:

image.jpeg.0ddfb1de9698891c056aa5b411383935.jpeg........Well possibly:image.jpeg.bccad921fe1230b6a2361f0d80c754fe.jpeg''''''' But that would be the wrong time wrong place as well.

As always your build is becoming a work of art. 

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

My mistake then. I was under the opinion that they were a little scarce in the western and south Pacific at that point in time. But photos don't usually lie.

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

40 minutes ago, CDW said:

Wow, was that a, errant takeoff, or just before it stalled and crashed into the ocean? Very nice photo!

No.just reverse parking...😜

HMAV Bounty 'Billings' completed  

HMS Cheerful - Syren-Chuck' completed :)

Steam Pinnace 199 'Billings bashed' - completed

HMS Ledbury F30 --White Ensign -completed 😎

HMS Vanguard 'Victory models'-- completed :)

Bismarck Amati 1/200 --underway  👍

51 minutes ago, RGL said:

I’ve done the seagulls up, also some little trollies for them to go on deck. 

I’ll only need maybe 2 or three of these so I’ll use the least crap as I’m rubbish at these horrible hard plastic kits. 

3F1B1CC0-E075-4CDA-9D27-E2B5CC1D30A1.jpeg

D98F1D33-1DC8-434F-8B20-EA65F8747BBE.jpeg

DDF873FA-39F3-4E25-AD57-667FC5B94C1F.jpeg

8CA2E033-3EBD-442B-A9F8-DD8E90C0BB5F.jpeg

How come  you are doing 1/32  planes now  mate?   lovely job as well.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

They don't look "rubbish" from here Greg.  They look pretty darn good.  Even the decals look great.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Amazing work  from our own 1/350 scale  master  - allway a pleasure  watching your builds come to life mate.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

I agree, at that scale you have done a remarkably nice job Greg.

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

I would assume (probably a big mistake as we know what happens when assuming) that there would be stars and other "markers" on those planes so friendlies wouldn't mistake them for the bad guys.   Your 3 pic down seems to be Catalinas with markings though not "all black". The 2nd one does have squadron markings with the roundel also.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Yes, that would have been an Aussie one. The little resin kits either lack details on the wings and Hull or the molds have degreased too much. 

so after 2 hours of masking the underside, and a few shades of grey and a bit of weathering, I can let it set until I can give a clear coat and put decals on. 

CF290993-7F16-4DD5-8096-B48593E97046.jpeg

Greg