T Rex 36in (90cm) long Skeleton - Finished

Got a surprise build I have just pulled the trigger on  (it wont be started for some time though as I have my heart in my  Waterloo build at the moment)

When I was a youngster I visited my brother in London and he took me the the Natural History Museum,  I was gob smacked to see not just the Huge  skeleton of Diplodocus  - but what made me stand there open mouthed  was the skeleton of T Rex.

I always wanted to do a skeleton  model of T Rex  but factors never allowed for this  - till I found a monster of a skeleton kit on flea bay  - couldn't help it the pull was too strong.

The attraction of a skeleton over a flesh model is I have only known the skeleton and it represents  what I saw in the flesh, same with the admiral she remembers seeing the same one.

Its Three feet long by about Two feet tall.

So this is the bad boy kit  - 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/110629895158

OC.

s-l400.jpg

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

I built a similar one. Use CA for the joints. The press fit joints between parts, are not strong enough to support the weight of the pieces, especially the skull. I tried Canopy Clue, the first time, but it failed after a few weeks. It makes a great model!

27 minutes ago, thibaultron said:

I built a similar one. Use CA for the joints. The press fit joints between parts, are not strong enough to support the weight of the pieces, especially the skull. I tried Canopy Clue, the first time, but it failed after a few weeks. It makes a great model!

Thanks Ron,   I am hoping to do a bit to it to kind of improve its look - make it more like the real skeleton  - sharpen the teeth etc,  also I wish to make it stand more head down with both legs bent further back  (hope I will have the ability to do that, it comes with a base with  feet impressions cast into it  - again  hope I can still us that or re invent another one where I will be able to attach the feet down to support it.

Then of course will be the painting/weathering to get as close to a real dinosaur skeleton as possible.

This kind of stance  (its the actual one I saw as a kid in London  - not my pic though)

OC.

t-rex_0.jpg

Edited by Old Collingwood

Current builds  

Completed works.

I don't know how sharp the teeth are on your model, but T-Rex teeth close up were a blunt triangular cross section shape, with serrations on the edges. Designed to hold up to their massive bite, and bone crunching ability.  More like a triangular punch. Look up pictures of them.

3 hours ago, thibaultron said:

I don't know how sharp the teeth are on your model, but T-Rex teeth close up were a blunt triangular cross section shape, with serrations on the edges. Designed to hold up to their massive bite, and bone crunching ability.  More like a triangular punch. Look up pictures of them.

Yeah, they were giant spikes, 3-5" long.... for ripping and tearing......

Current Build: F-86F-30 Sabre by Egilman - Kinetic - 1/32nd scale

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

Terminated Build: F-104C Starfighter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

"Relish Today, Ketchup Tomorrow"

Looking forward to this, OC.  As for the positioning, I'm thinking the museum did that because of the "low" ceiling.  

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

my grand kids would love to see this ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

On 7/19/2021 at 8:28 PM, Old Collingwood said:

also I wish to make it stand more head down with both legs bent further back  (hope I will have the ability to do that, it comes with a base with  feet impressions cast into it  - again  hope I can still us that or re invent another one where I will be able to attach the feet down to support it.

Then of course will be the painting/weathering to get as close to a real dinosaur skeleton as possible.

This kind of stance  (its the actual one I saw as a kid in London  - not my pic though)

On 7/20/2021 at 2:55 PM, mtaylor said:

As for the positioning, I'm thinking the museum did that because of the "low" ceiling.

That's actually the current scientific thought on how they stood rather than the "erect" stance, (tail dragging the ground) they used to put them in.....

The way they do it in the museum is to built a steel skeleton out of tube and bar stock and install the bones along the bars, one must remember they are petrified bone, with the weight of stone..... It has to be a pretty strongly engineered framework to hold that much tonnage of stone bones.....

The one in your pic OC is in a walking stance, Most in museums are erected this way now and yes they walked on their toes, the long tail served to balance the weight of the head and neck..... If I had pulled the trigger on it I would have planned a stiff wire skeleton to mount the bones onto just the same way the museums do it in actual practice.... Then you could pose it anyway you like and it wouldn't be too delicate.....

Another interesting project.... At 3 foot long it will be impressive....

Edited by Egilman

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

37 minutes ago, Egilman said:

That's actually the current scientific thought on how they stood rather than the "erect" stance, (tail dragging the ground) they used to put them in.....

The way they do it in the museum is to built a steel skeleton out of tube and bar stock and install the bones along the bars, one must remember they are petrified bone, with the weight of stone..... It has to be a pretty strongly engineered framework to hold that much tonnage of stone bones.....

The one in your pic OC is in a walking stance, Most in museums are erected this way now and yes they walked on their toes, the long tail served to balance the weight of the head and neck..... If I had pulled the trigger on it I would have planned a stiff wire skeleton to mount the bones onto just the same way the museums do it in actual practice.... Then you could pose it anyway you like and it wouldn't be too delicate.....

Another interesting project.... At 3 foot long it will be impressive....

You know brother - thats an Excellent idea, almost like my idea of strenthening my masts with wood dowels in my Peal build, If I got some rod that was bendable yet strong.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

• 1 year later...

Folks,  I have  been re - visiting  and re-visiting   this  build  before  I even take it out the box,   as  I have been concerned  about placing it when finished  as  it  rather  larger  at  nearly 90cm  head to tail,   I was going to  put it ontop  of my  display case  but without a  cover  it would  end up being a dust magnet. 

But  I think with some careful  tail  bending  I might be able to place it in my display case.

So  I may  start on this  soon  as a fresh  build  to give me a break from my  Waterloo  Dio.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

Having built a similar model, use CA on the joints. The snap together sections are not tight enough to hold everything in position. I tried the white glue/canopy glue method, but that also failed.

5 minutes ago, thibaultron said:

Having built a similar model, use CA on the joints. The snap together sections are not tight enough to hold everything in position. I tried the white glue/canopy glue method, but that also failed.

Ron,   would  normal   Revell  plastic glue  also work  as  I assumed  it  is a plastic kit?   I may need  to give  the tail  a good  bend  (possibly an S bend)   to make it fit in my case.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

2 hours ago, Old Collingwood said:

would  normal   Revell  plastic glue  also work  as  I assumed  it  is a plastic kit? 

As long as it is styrene plastic yes........

Quote:

Evening all,    I started on this  today,  but I have already run into a couple of  problems  -  the first  problem  was  trying to  bend  the tail  so it would fit inside my  display case,  the  last sections of the tail  are made in Three  sections (already pre formed)  they  but together with Two  internal rods,   so I  super glued the  Three tail sections  but trying to  bend the sections  just  opens up the joins  (I dont know  what kind of  plastic  its made from  but it feels  very  soft  almost with a memory  so it just bends back)   so  none of my glues  will  work.

The main section  has a metal  rod  running through the middle  and the spine  sections  just  drop onto this.

The  head is  made of Two  sections  that  have  Two  square pegs  that fit  together,  trouble  is  there is  twist when  clicked together  - so I decided it would be better to cut the lugs off  sand  flat  then  I tried to  glue  these  together  (No  way)   will  it play ball  and glue.

So  a re think  -  I could  possibly  drill  through  the jaws  and  try to  fix Two screws  from underneath  (might work)  then  see if my plastic filler  will  work on the jaw  joins,     that leaves the issue  of not being able  to bend the tail.

Who said modeling was easy.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

My model was a soft plastic with a paint or rubber color coat, so regular plastic glue did not work. CA did. Try taking the rods out of the tail.

3 minutes ago, thibaultron said:

My model was a soft plastic with a paint or rubber color coat, so regular plastic glue did not work. CA did. Try taking the rods out of the tail.

Hi Ron,   what  I have been able to  do is  bend  the main  metal  spine rod  from just aft of the pelvis  where  the pelvis bone  section  will be fitted,  the last  tail section  slots  onto this,  I have  checked now  and it  will  fit  in my  case  on one of the shelves.

Big test  will  be to see  if  I can  join both jaws  with  a screw underneath  both sides?

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

I think the trouble  with this  "kit"?    is that  Its  and educational  thing  designed to be  snapped to gether, and not a scale model kit.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

The website for this kit says it is soft flexible PVC plastic, made to snap together as a schoolroom educational piece... (can't be having children around any real plastics or glues can we)

So, the problem is it has a flexible nonstick surface, CA will not work neither will solvents... What you need is a flexible adhesive that sticks to that formulation of PVC... Something that works on vinyl is my thoughts...

As far as using screws to affix the skull with the jaw? I would be afraid of stripping them out on the soft vinyl plastic... (pre-drilling would be a must) I would try metal pins into drilled holes, vinyl has a habit of expanding when drilled so make the holes a drag fit over the pins and cut them short enough to be buried in the pieces but long enough so friction holds them in place... The manufacturer says it is supposed to just snap together, but users report that it doesn't stay together after a small bit of usage.... (the pvc wears quickly)

I have one coming, when it gets here I'll be able to discern more on how to fix the parts together...

Interesting problem brother... Nice challenge...

Quote:

Would an epoxy cement work? J-B Weld or similar?

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

16 minutes ago, Egilman said:

The website for this kit says it is soft flexible PVC plastic, made to snap together as a schoolroom educational piece... (can't be having children around any real plastics or glues can we)

So, the problem is it has a flexible nonstick surface, CA will not work neither will solvents... What you need is a flexible adhesive that sticks to that formulation of PVC... Something that works on vinyl is my thoughts...

As far as using screws to affix the skull with the jaw? I would be afraid of stripping them out on the soft vinyl plastic... (pre-drilling would be a must) I would try metal pins into drilled holes, vinyl has a habit of expanding when drilled so make the holes a drag fit over the pins and cut them short enough to be buried in the pieces but long enough so friction holds them in place... The manufacturer says it is supposed to just snap together, but users report that it doesn't stay together after a small bit of usage.... (the pvc wears quickly)

I have one coming, when it gets here I'll be able to discern more on how to fix the parts together...

Interesting problem brother... Nice challenge...

Thank you kindly brother,   will  look forward  to your build  when it arrives.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

7 minutes ago, Canute said:

Thanks Ken,    its  new  ground for me.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

24 minutes ago, Canute said:

21 minutes ago, Old Collingwood said:

Thank you kindly brother,   will  look forward  to your build  when it arrives.

OC.

I don't think epoxy would work as it is a solid which relies on surface adhesion/penetration for it's hold, Epoxy when cured is very hard and completely solid....

My suggestion would be HH-66 Vinyl Cement, the stuff used to glue/weld automotive pvc vinyls, it is also sold for the PVC vinyl pools as the glue for patching leaks....

Powerful stuff, it is a blend of MEK, Acetone and Toluene solvents so be sure to use it in a well ventilated area and away from open flames... Working time is 2-4 minutes but it says it creates a solid weld while the plastic remains flexible...

This is what I would go to for bonding this stuff as my first guess... it should be available at any decent big box store as well as automotive supply houses.... It is NOT the same as PCV pipe glue from the plumbing section which is almost pure jellied MEK...

Check out the pool shops they should know what glues PVC Vinyl and remains flexible....

Edited by Egilman

Quote:

9 minutes ago, Egilman said:

I don't think epoxy would work as it is a solid which relies on surface adhesion/penetration for it's hold, Epoxy when cured is very hard and completely solid....

My suggestion would be HH-66 Vinyl Cement, the stuff used to glue/weld automotive pvc vinyls, it is also sold for the PVC vinyl pools as the glue for patching leaks....

Powerful stuff, it is a blend of MEK, Acetone and Toluene solvents so be sure to use it in a well ventilated area and away from open flames... Working time is 2-4 minutes but it says it creates a solid weld while the plastic remains flexible...

This is what I would go to for bonding this stuff as my first guess... it should be available at any decent big box store as well as automotive supply houses.... It is NOT the same as PCV pipe glue from the plumbing section which is almost pure jellied MEK...

Check out the pool shops they should know what glues PVC Vinyl and remains flexible....

I am going to have to  try to use what I have around the house,    looks like the only real major  mend  is  the  top  to bottom  jaws  at the back near the throat,  this  is  where  perhaps  a pilot  hole  drilled  from underneath  on both jaw bones,  going  up into the upper jaws,  then  a  slightly  wider start  in the holes (to hide the screw heads)   and  Two  slightly  wider  screws   used  to  join the  back of the jaws  together.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

Very cool model OC.  Looking forward to this one!

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

4 hours ago, Landlubber Mike said:

Very cool model OC.  Looking forward to this one!

Thank you kindly Mike.    welcome aboard my little  prehistoric  journey.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

Evening  all,    some  quite good progress  today   -   I  concentrated  on the head/jaws,  firstly  I  made sure  that the upper/lower  joining  areas  was a flat as  I could  make them  with my  fine files,   then I  got  my drill out  and used  my  finger  drill  and  ligned  the upper/lower  and  drilled through  (very slowly)   with a  1.5mm  then a  2mm,  I also  used  my  5.5mm  to counter  sink  the  top  to hide the screw  head  by counter sinking    -   so  here  goes    I used  my  strongest  screw driver  and mananged to  get a  secure  connection,  all  was needed  was a bit  of Vallejo  putty   -  and   set aside.

Quite pleased  with the result  in an area  I had little faith  in  fixing.

Here's  the pics   - 

OC.

IMG_0296.JPG

IMG_0297.JPG

Current builds  

Completed works.

15 minutes ago, AJohnson said:

This looks fun! 😁

Thank you  Andrew.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

5 minutes ago, king derelict said:

Great recovery.

Looks really good

Alan

Thank you Alan.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.