NRG Capstan Project by Usedtosail - FINISHED - 1:16

I gave all the assemblies a coat of wipe on poly then finished adding the pins to hold the bars in place.

IMG_1377.thumb.jpg.abd0cd9e611b481e2c494491c771eb9c.jpg

I glued the capstan base to the beams using the corner bolts to locate it to the holes I had already drilled. I used some weights to hold it down while the glue dried.

IMG_1378.thumb.jpg.c31a394e12f28d327f81ad0da8e033d1.jpg

This morning I started the assembly of the capstan model. I first trimmed the bolts for the capstan base and added them to the base. I then drilled the holes for the brakes and added the pins for them. I put the hatch into the coaming and glued the coaming to the base, again using weights to hold it down.

IMG_1384.thumb.jpg.2ef2be500720a75e51d8d7390565d51c.jpg

I installed the capstan barrel and drum head, which completes the capstan project.

IMG_1385.thumb.jpg.9f519d990b8ad64045a7d502fa097100.jpg

IMG_1386.thumb.jpg.da99beb9c1e7d92589bf6fe3350a38cf.jpg

IMG_1387.thumb.jpg.b58b73ec5fad406fc81d80035aedfffe.jpg

This was a fun project and I especially enjoyed the scratch build aspect. I am not sure I am ready to tackle a whole ship as a scratch build project but it is not out of the question in the future. Thanks to the NRG and especially Toni Levine for her great instructions and plans, and her help during this build.

Great Job!   I cant wait to start this project, you've done a wonderful job.   

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Justin.

So I am planking the Duchess of Kingston but I find I have more time in the day between planks, so I have decided to try something along the lines of this capstan project. Have a look here.

I hope this works out.

Confession time. While looking at the capstan yesterday I realized I had installed the end beam under the grating the wrong way, i.e. the wider dimension was up and down not cross wise like the other two beams. If you look closely at the last pictures of the capstan you can just see it. I was able to gently remove the end beam, turn it 90 degrees, clean up the slots so the carlings would fit, and glue it back together. Whew! I feel better now.