CSS Alabama by Glen McGuire - FINISHED - Mamoli - 1:120

Close up of the fore top gallant sail with bolt rope added.  I used CA glue to attach it to the edges of the sail.  The 2nd pic is the full complement of completed sails.  I breathed a huge sigh of relief when this 3 week sail making effort was over.  But it was also a huge thrill because I'd learned 2 new skills of ironing and sewing that I never thought I'd need.  That's one of the great things about this hobby!

20201112_201748.jpg

20201116_162433.jpg

Edited by Glen McGuire

Monfeld's book has a lot of good basic information.  It's not perfect though.

As for the Constellation....  I'll be interested in seeing what you decide.   The kit is not the actual frigate but what sat in Baltimore's harbor  Long story short... the Baltimore group lied and AL (as well as visitors) bought the lie.  It was actually the sloop of war from 1854 (the last all wood ship of the USN).   See the links in my signature.  Both a build and a gallery of the kit bashed to Sloop of War.  But, even if you build it straight from the box, it makes a great model.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

@mtaylor  Wow Mark.  Your Constellation is just magnificent.  I will be studying your build log closely when I begin my Constellation effort.  I've learned so much from my Alabama project, but your work shows me that I've still got a loooooong ways to go.

I am intrigued to see how much bashing is required to make the AL kit more historically accurate.  I had no idea the kit was not as advertised.  Looks like I've got some research to do. 

Regarding books, I just ordered "The History of the American Sailing Navy" by Howard Chapelle.  I thought it might help with the Constellation when I get around to it.  Any other books  you would recommend?

Edited by Glen McGuire

3 hours ago, Glen McGuire said:

I don't think the footropes turned out all that great but I could not figure out a good way to hang them.  Any suggestions?

Glen, I used brass etched eye pins for the foot ropes. . My Tennessee is also 1:120, anything you see in my log size wise would have worked for your Alabama.

image.png.346dea79c389674cae68e1dc6d7bb371.png Glen

Nice job, Glen. You're doing great work on this model. She's looking fine!

Bob Garcia

"Measure once, cuss twice!"

Current Builds: 

Hms Brig-Sloop Flirt 1782 - Vanguard Models

Pen Duick - Artesania Latina 1:28

Completed: Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Co. 

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

Time to figure out how to display the sails and then add them to the yards/gaffs.  I looked at a million pictures online of different models and how their builders chose to display their sails.  The configuration that really caught my eye was a version of the Constitution being sold as a fully completed model.  I liked way the square sails were rolled up in the middle but the ends were allowed to hang down giving it sort of a pleated look.  To me, this struck the perfect balance of having the sails displayed but not completely dominating the view and covering up all the rigging.

So that's what I tried to copy.  The mizzen sparken I decided to hang fully unfurled.  The main sparken and foresail sparken I wanted to roll up against the corresponding mast and let the top of those sails hang a bit from their gaffs.  After I finished the running rigging I planned to add the jib sails.  The first pic below is the Constitution I was trying to copy.     

download.jpg

20201205_113246.jpg

Edited by Glen McGuire

18 hours ago, Glen McGuire said:

@mtaylor  Wow Mark.  Your Constellation is just magnificent.  I will be studying your build log closely when I begin my Constellation effort.  I've learned so much from my Alabama project, but your work shows me that I've still got a loooooong ways to go.

I am intrigued to see how much bashing is required to make the AL kit more historically accurate.  I had no idea the kit was not as advertised.  Looks like I've got some research to do. 

Regarding books, I just ordered "The History of the American Sailing Navy" by Howard Chapelle.  I thought it might help with the Constellation when I get around to it.  Any other books  you would recommend?

Thanks, Glen.  I did have a lot of help and input from Jerry Todd who built an RC version.   When you're ready, I'll be glad to watch and help.

I love the way you did the sails.  They don't hide the deck, etc.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Before diving into the running rigging, I decided to take a break and do something a little easier - circle back to the rudder I had made the strap hinges earlier for and go ahead and install it.  After that, I finished copper plating the keel.  And now, every time I look at the prop those casting marks stick out like a sore thumb!  UGH!!!

20200911_101253 (2).jpg

Edited by Glen McGuire

Now, the moment of truth, the running rigging.  Actually, it seems like there had been about 50 moments of truth along the way.  But honestly at this point I was getting pretty confident that I could pull this thing off.  Every step along the way seemed so daunting at first.  But it was just a matter of being patient and plowing ahead.

Those belay pins are SOOOOOOOO tiny.  My gosh it was a challenge to tie some loops around them.  I found this great video of how to secure a rope to a belaying pin but I couldn't do all the loops because there just was not enough space.

20201205_113805.jpg

More work on the deadeyes here.  I got a little better at keeping the upper row in a line but still not great.  Practice, practice, practice!  I did add the sheer pole which was not in the instructions.  I used a small piece of piano wire.

20201213_120235.jpg

@mtaylor  Thanks for the comment on the sails!  And I will definitely be picking your brain when I begin work on the Constellation.  I glanced thru your build log which was quite impressive!  It kind of irks me that the AL kit is misleading but the thought of making the kit more historically accurate is intriguing.

After much debate (and trying to figure out exactly how I could pull it off) I decided to add futtock shrouds and a tiny little sheer pole, neither of which were in the kit instructions.

Second pic shows the addition of the last 3 sails - jib, flying jib, and fore stay.

20201219_071605.jpg

20201220_222643.jpg

Glen, you did a grand job on the Alabama so much so in fact that if there's still enough sand left in the glass once I finish the Tennessee I'm seriously considering the Alabama. There are very few kits offered in the early steam era plus the 1:120 scale is the same.

Edited by Keith Black

Getting close!  I was pretty excited at this point as I was pretty sure all of the really hard stuff was behind me.  The rope coils were next and were not too difficult.  Tedious?  Of course!  And at the start of this project would have seemed near impossible to me.  But by now they were fairly easy.

20201224_094643.jpg

20201230_105901.jpg

@Keith Black 

6 minutes ago, Keith Black said:

Glen, you did a grand job on the Alabama so much so in fact that if there's still enough sand left in the glass once I finish the Tennessee I'm seriously considering the Alabama. There are very few kits offered in the early steam era plus the 1:120 scale is the same.

That is cool to hear!  Actually, the steam aspect of this ship is what caught my eye when I was thumbing thru the Micro Mark catalog trying to figure out what ship to try.  I knew very little about the history of sailing ships but I was fascinated by the picture of the Alabama because it had sails AND a prop.  I had no idea why you would need both.  I started doing some research and found the whole history of the Alabama really fascinating.  So that's why I chose it.

I hope you decide to give the Alabama a try.  I would LOVE to see what you could do with it.  Would you do it from scratch?

And FINALLY it was time for the last step, hanging the 5 life boats - 2 on each side and a small one on the stern.  Piece of cake, right?  Actually, it was more challenging than I thought.  The instructions didn't help much in the way of how to hang them and I struggled with figuring out a way to keep them secure AND level.  I finally came up with the criss-cross rope work which was quite secure and I thought it looked kind of cool. 

The lashing of the paddles to the bench seats was also a tiny bit of kit-bashing I added at the last minute.  

20210104_125855.jpg

20210106_204605.jpg

Edited by Glen McGuire

7 minutes ago, Glen McGuire said:

Would you do it from scratch

No, but I'd bash the heck out of the kit. The idea of having a set of plans to work from versus working from old photographs is sooooo appealing. 

The transition period of 1850 to 1900 going from sail to steam, wood hull to iron hull, and cannon to gun really fascinates me. I've pretty well painted myself into a corner with all the research I've done on that fifty year period, I think it would be wasted if I tried venturing off into another time period. 

OMG!!!  After an incredible 8 months and 1000+ hours I was done with the ship!  OMG again!!!  

But there was still one last thing to do.  And of course it would require more kit-bashing (love that new term that I've learned from this community).  The display base that came with the kit was pretty pathetic and certainly did not do justice to all the hours of work, so I decided to build my own base. 

As I was working on the ship, I bought the book "Wolf of the Deep" by Stephen Fox to learn the history of the ship and its captain, Raphael Semmes.  It's a great read.  The book mentioned that some of the wood used to build the Alabama was English Elm.  I just happened to have some pieces of English Elm (that actually came from a tree that was cut down on the south lawn of the Texas capital years ago), so I thought it would be pretty cool to make a base out of the same type of wood that was used for part of the ship's original construction.  I ordered the silver nameplate online.  

20210112_205142.jpg

When the Captain of the Alabama, Raphael Semmes, got his first glimpse of his new ship he commented:

"Her model was of the most perfect symmetry, and she sat upon the water with the lightness and grace of a swan.  And when her awnings were snugly spread, her yards squared, and her riggings hauled taut, she looked like a bride ready to be led to the alter.

My model here is probably more appropriate for a shotgun wedding, but I'm very happy with how it all turned out.  What an amazing journey it's been!

She looks great and from the sound of it, you've learned a lot and had some fun along the way.  

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Glen

Great build, and very interesting subject.  You asked earlier in your log about kit manufactures.  I am of the opinion that anything from Syren Models, Vanguard or Amati Victory line of kits are fantastic quality.  And I have read that many other members agree.  

regards

Malcolm

Completed builds; Caldercraft Mars; Vanguard Alert, Amati Revenge

On the shelf; Vanguard DOK & the Sphinx

10 hours ago, mtaylor said:

She looks great and from the sound of it, you've learned a lot and had some fun along the way.  

Thank you, Mark.  And you are absolutely right on both counts!

6 hours ago, Malcolm Greig said:

Great build, and very interesting subject.  You asked earlier in your log about kit manufactures.  I am of the opinion that anything from Syren Models, Vanguard or Amati Victory line of kits are fantastic quality.  And I have read that many other members agree.

Thank you, Malcolm.  I will look into those 3.

One final comment for any new modelers that have happened upon this log.  After 8 months and over 1000 hours spent on my first ever try at wooden ship modeling, I have only 1 piece of advice for you.  Don't give up.  Find your inner mule - get stubborn, get creative, and get through it.  This hobby is time-consuming, tedious, and frustrating beyond belief at times.  It will test you.  But it's also exhilarating, fun, and extremely rewarding.  There's nothing like it. 

A dear friend of mine always asks me the same question after I finish something really difficult, "Was it worth it?"  My answer for this effort is ABSOLUTELY!!!    

Congratulations!  Well done!

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me