Ed,

Where is it being used?

If it is POB and filling cracks in a first layer of hull planking, my question is: Why bother? The outer layer of planking will cover the gaps anyway.

If it is to flesh out minor hollows in the planking run, then it should as well as it needs to.

If there are serious hollows, better it would be to use thin strips of wood, PVA bonded at the hollows and sand these scabs into a smooth run.

For places where a clear finished wood is on display,  wood flour of the same species mixed with white PVA usually does a fix that takes effort to notice.

NRG member 45 years

Current:  

HMS Centurion 1732 - 60-gun 4th rate - Navall Timber framing

HMS Beagle 1831 refiit  10-gun brig with a small mizzen - Navall (ish) Timber framing

The U.S. Ex. Ex. 1838-1842
Flying Fish 1838  pilot schooner -  framed - ready for stern timbers
Porpose II  1836  brigantine/brig - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers
Vincennes  1825  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers assembled, need shaping
Peacock  1828  Sloop-of -War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Sea Gull  1838  pilot schooner -  timbers ready for assembly
Relief  1835  ship - timbers ready for assembly

Other

Portsmouth  1843  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Le Commerce de Marseilles  1788   118 cannons - framed

La Renommee 1744 Frigate - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers

I have used Elmer's Wood Filler in the tube and it has worked very well for me.  The natural color is a perfect match for the yellow cedar that I used on my Medway Longboat.

Ryland

Member - Hampton Roads Ship Model Society

- Ship Model Society of New Jersey

- Nautical Research Guild

Current Build - Armed Virginia Sloop, 18th Century Longboat

Completed Build - Medway Longboat

Elmers colour changing filler is very good, my preferred filler. I tried osmo filler as well-very good, more liquid, dries much faster and comes in various colours. 

Ed,

I use the method (sort of) that Jaager describes.   For truly tiny gaps, and wood that is to be left unpainted, force PVA into the gap and sand.  The sanding will create the wood flour  and fill the gap.  

For gaps more than 0.01 or so, it may be better to take out the errant plank before putting in the next one and redo with no gap.  

Don't know where you are in PA, but GO STEELERS!!!   If you are an Eagles fan  my apologies for my cheer for Pittsburgh.

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU