DKM Gneisenau by king derelict - Flyhawk - 1/700

After the small IBG Hunt Class destroyer I thought it was time to move up in size again so I opened this box. The Flyhawk 1/700 Geisenau deluxe version with all the PE and brass barrels. I added  the Flyhawk wooden deck to complete the upgrades.

647886578_RIMG0347(1280x720).jpg.2b6e10b342fab58e4f57241265e72e16.jpg

Its quite a contrast after the IBG kit with a few lonely sprues of parts in the bottom of the box. This is packed with bags of sprues, sheets of PE, boxes of metal barrels and a lot of instructions that look quite daunting. 

21243960_RIMG0348(1280x720).jpg.0dd863aec289237d197499d85ff53fca.jpg

Its going to be a big model; nearly twice the length of Penelope. This will be a slow build as I think my way through it. I need to study the instructions in detail to work out where the PE replaces the plastic before doing anything else and then work out how to break it down into a series of assemblies.

I may have over reached myself with this one. It might be time to hide

IMG_0707.thumb.jpg.461be07d0b5cbaa63dd3400fe7fb7536.jpg

Thanks

Alan

"Oh Yes"   I am Deffo in for this.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

I'm in, too. Always like the looks of this class.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

Awesome choice Alan, I'm in!

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

Not much progress today. I scanned the build instructions into the laptop and then printed them out at a larger size. There is a lot of information packed into the small diagrams. I then marked up the parts that will be replaced by the PE items so I don't inadvertently assemble some of the plastic parts.

I'm afraid the rest of the day was lost as I disappeared down another rabbit hole. My Ender 3 V2 arrived. The lure of a corvette was too strong

The idea is too use it as a background activity while paint and glue is drying elsewhere

Alan

After a frustrating morning trying to get the 3D printer to behave I made the first faltering steps with the Geisenau. There is so much stuff in the box it is quite an exercise finding the required parts. The metal bits are in a small box but that turns out to be packed with small bags with barrels of various calibres and rod to the masts. Its all a bit daunting but I plan to narrow the focus and work on one bit at a time.

I removed the rain brows and filled the portholes below the upper tier and removed the tip of the prow asd indicated in teh instructions. I assume the kit shares a common hull with Scharnhorst.

291438410_RIMG0350(1280x720).jpg.6c24f39f3c4486dcd0f3f3c40897e028.jpg

458996729_RIMG0351(1280x720).jpg.96315e9234e426444e9467167144d9a2.jpg

I added the metal barrels to the 280 mm guns and then the PE to the turrets. It was a bad afternoon (in keeping with the day) and Three small sections of the handrail pinged off the tweezers and lost without trace. I have made scratch parts from 0.2 brass rod and I think they will be indistinguishable once painted

256963641_RIMG0354(1280x720).jpg.0f6ab506a9b693c9e48ab3fa1b686845.jpg

RIMG0354.thumb.JPG.2821bbea46a63e4988c41960b282ee90.JPG

Thanks for looking

Alan

I made a little progress today. I'm still studying the parts and instructions to try to determine the most sensible subassemblies to build and paint. Also the ways to minimise handling damage as the delicate stuff goes on - there is a lot of it. So time goes by without apparent progress.

It is still quite a daunting kit for me. There are so many parts that locating the piece I want is an exercise on its own. ONe sprue has 108 parts on it!

I started the bridge structure and then began the descent into madness as the PE is folded and added. 

51982018_RIMG0362(852x1280).thumb.jpg.696e4b6b3a4ad5a1c31a7d541e940ec2.jpg

Threading the PE inclined ladder down to the lower platform was somewhat of a challenge for me.

RIMG0367.JPG.a73c08f2c941772dffde51f80a504f81.JPG

The first holes appear in the PE fret but there is another one of the same size as yet untouched. This is not going to be a quick build but its starting off as a very enjoyable project

Thanks for looking

Alan

RIMG0355 (1280x841).jpg

Very nice work  - that pe at that scale  "says as he gulps"

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

Thank you OC. I'm still scared of the PE but I do a little at a time and when it is on it looks so nice; especially the railings. They really dress the ship up. I'm much happier using the Gators Grip glue. It gives a lot more time to finally locate a piece properly and it sets with a bit of flexibility so a bump later doesn't knock the part off as easily as when glued with CA.

I've also found the rolling and bending tools helped me get a cleaner finish with the bigger bits of PE

Alan 

Slow progress today. I needed to rearrange the work space so I have a bit more room to lay out all the Geisenau parts and accomodate a tool chest within easy reach.

I finished the PE railings on the upper part of the superstructure

100614528_RIMG0371(1091x1280).thumb.jpg.1d3981483963763c26c1ab6eebeaee4a.jpg

I started on the next section, installing the PE rails; very delicate and its not perfect but further fiddling was probably going to damage the very thin PE sections. It is another good exercise in what was referred to in my profession as "situational awareness". In this case trying not to put my fingers where I had just installed the PE. 

493741836_RIMG0370(1280x720).jpg.51edf59e640747d29a0d8bf217581d2e.jpg

At this point I realised I was in danger of making it very hard to install the wooden deck onto these upper deck elements. I think I need to get painting before building up anything else. I am planning to do some basic masking to keep the paint off the wooden deck areas thinking it might stick to the bare plastic better than the paint. I have no idea if that is a correct assumption.

I'll add the brass barrels to the secondary turrets and then get the airbrush out

Alan

Hi Bill.

I like the Flyhawk kits a lot. The detail is amazing and the range of subjects is good. This one is the biggest kit I have attempted and working out a sequence through the build that allows painting, wooden deck installation, PE additions and handling the delicate built up parts keeps me thinking hard. I really enjoy it.

I have the Prince Of Wales somewhere in transit.

Alan

Started well sir. When I compare the quality of fit, detail and precision moulding of Flyhawk kits with the best that was available but a few years ago then I can only shake my head. They really have raised the bar and up to now no kit manufacturer appears to have taken up the challenge. However, their ship models seem to be restricted to 1/700 scale - what on earth would a Flyhawk 1/350 scale Hood look like I wonder?!!

Sorry Alan, I've no desire to hijack your blog. Rest assured I will be following your progress with interest - I have FL's Bismarck to start and hope to have their Hood very soon and I'll heed any advice that may arise from your experience with Gneisenau.

Roger

Looking really great Alan!  

After my 1/700 kit, I certainly echo your thoughts on being mindful of where fingers are.  Also, your point about not fiddling with the PE too much.  It's not that you only have one shot to get it right, but too much manipulation and you start risking twists, breakages, etc. because the brass is so thin.  Happened to me a few times because I had made folds in some parts the opposite way, so bending it all the way back the other way was always a hold your breath moment.

The dreaded pings off the tweezers are the worst.  Oftentimes I work on my kitchen island so I can be around my kids and if the part flies, it becomes a family exercise to try to find it.  Doesn't help we have reddish-brown wood floors in the area.  Some of the ideas about having an apron, or a white sheet on the floor, make a lot of sense.  I've also thought about making some kind of backstop with three walls and a ceiling to limit where the parts can fly.

Along with good tweezers, I've used those wax pickup pencils.  They help with very small parts but positioning is a little tricker using the pencil.  I've also thought about using one of those vacuum tools.  There was a thread a short time ago about possibly using those to position copper plates on the hull, but the suction usually isn't strong enough.  Looking into the tools, I think they are often used in electronics applications.  I wonder if they might equally work with fine PE?  They come with different shaped tips depending on the size and shape of the object you are trying to pick up.  Might be something to consider.

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

35 minutes ago, Landlubber Mike said:

The dreaded pings off the tweezers are the worst.

Oh, I'll second that! With me it's not only the floor where the parts land but sometimes also somewhere on my cluttered desk which doubles as a workbench for model building. I lost 2 AA guns and half a mast of the Bismarck in 1/700 there! At least I think that's where they're still hiding!

12 hours ago, RogerF said:

Started well sir. When I compare the quality of fit, detail and precision moulding of Flyhawk kits with the best that was available but a few years ago then I can only shake my head. They really have raised the bar and up to now no kit manufacturer appears to have taken up the challenge. However, their ship models seem to be restricted to 1/700 scale - what on earth would a Flyhawk 1/350 scale Hood look like I wonder?!!

Sorry Alan, I've no desire to hijack your blog. Rest assured I will be following your progress with interest - I have FL's Bismarck to start and hope to have their Hood very soon and I'll heed any advice that may arise from your experience with Gneisenau.

Roger

Thank you Roger,

I'm glad you commented, definitely not a hijack to the log. I do think Flyhawk have really made working at 1/700 scale to be more rewarding because of all the detail that is on the basic plastic. With railings and possibly brass barrels the kits look great without further details. If they ever create a 1/350 kit it could be an impressive thing. I might have to rethink staying with 1/700 in that case. I hope you enjoy the build. I'm not sure I am good enough to offer advice but I'm enjoying working through the build and the mammoth quantity of parts. All teh information is there but I find it a challenge to cross reference the PE build information with the main assembly. Even copying and marking up the sheets hasn't completely addressed the problem.

Alan

10 hours ago, Landlubber Mike said:

Looking really great Alan!  

After my 1/700 kit, I certainly echo your thoughts on being mindful of where fingers are.  Also, your point about not fiddling with the PE too much.  It's not that you only have one shot to get it right, but too much manipulation and you start risking twists, breakages, etc. because the brass is so thin.  Happened to me a few times because I had made folds in some parts the opposite way, so bending it all the way back the other way was always a hold your breath moment.

The dreaded pings off the tweezers are the worst.  Oftentimes I work on my kitchen island so I can be around my kids and if the part flies, it becomes a family exercise to try to find it.  Doesn't help we have reddish-brown wood floors in the area.  Some of the ideas about having an apron, or a white sheet on the floor, make a lot of sense.  I've also thought about making some kind of backstop with three walls and a ceiling to limit where the parts can fly.

Along with good tweezers, I've used those wax pickup pencils.  They help with very small parts but positioning is a little tricker using the pencil.  I've also thought about using one of those vacuum tools.  There was a thread a short time ago about possibly using those to position copper plates on the hull, but the suction usually isn't strong enough.  Looking into the tools, I think they are often used in electronics applications.  I wonder if they might equally work with fine PE?  They come with different shaped tips depending on the size and shape of the object you are trying to pick up.  Might be something to consider.

Thank you for the kind comments Mike.

I borrowed a lot of your PE tool information and tips and its helped a lot. The folding tool really neatens up anything that has long folds and makes the PE look good. I was quite pleased with todays radar array done that way today.

I have moved to finer tweezers and the crossover type to hold the PE but I dread the ping and the disappearing fleck of brass. The hand held vacuum recovers some but rarely the vital stuff.

I use the wax pencils but I find them a bit clumsy in tight places and hard to see the orientation of a small piece. I have been using a cocktail stick with the end rubbed lightly in a blob of beeswax. That seems to allow much finer control and positioning. A dressmaking pin can be used in the same way as well. The cat hairs are optional

Alan288318309_RIMG0373(1280x720).jpg.f0c7e67fc63be509cafde99be0161f4c.jpg

594293803_RIMG0374(1280x720).jpg.d238849b78b14e68ee135dff1e96e5d7.jpg

10 hours ago, RogerF said:

Oh, I'll second that! With me it's not only the floor where the parts land but sometimes also somewhere on my cluttered desk which doubles as a workbench for model building. I lost 2 AA guns and half a mast of the Bismarck in 1/700 there! At least I think that's where they're still hiding!

I need to learn to keep a cleaner work table. I spend far too much time moving stuff around trying to find the post ping PE or part. Someehow the tools, glues. files creep back.

Alan

It has been a day in small world today. Instead of yesterdays plan I decided to tackle the radar array which is made of three pieces of PE two of which have some folds that present a bit of a challenge. With the folding tool it went quite well and was attached to the sub assembly.

1198377769_RIMG0383(720x1280).thumb.jpg.3552b1c13ba5c75e490dab1ed16ecb1d.jpg

I stayed with the PE and worked around the funnel with a lot of very fine PE which was an exercise in breath control. Slow progress with tea breaks at frequent intervals but the PE fret is beginning to show some gaps.

1159595919_RIMG0378(1280x720).jpg.a07053670fd587879aab933e4ea906d6.jpg

515783302_RIMG0380(1280x921).jpg.9b6bd5dbf33af8a05911852a79e298ed.jpg

Still quite a lot to add in this area but at least these are steel decks so the wooden deck is not an issue.

Thanks for looking

Alan

Excellent work Alan,    even the PE looks mighty fine - sure am loving these Flayhawk kits for detail.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

22 hours ago, Old Collingwood said:

Excellent work Alan,    even the PE looks mighty fine - sure am loving these Flayhawk kits for detail.

OC.

Thanks for the kind words OC. This kit is so big I am sort of losing my place in it a bit. It is all so nicely made that it is still highly enjoyable and I expect at some point its all going to make sense and go together

Alan

Not a lot of time to work on the Geisenau today but I did manage to finish the PE on the funnel. A lot of time studying the illustrations to get the correct positioning of the small platforms.

937731647_RIMG0391(1280x720).jpg.19fa9b12004d5ef21cc8fc6b7585b989.jpg

I moved onto another small assembly which will build up the catapult. The folder made a nice job of the catapult and the tiny pully wheels were added.

1093735045_RIMG0387(1280x720).jpg.ab3183ce09b570ba5337dae80368bc42.jpg

RIMG0388.thumb.JPG.9e1dc004cc1ac8a6791c8cb67e11f65a.JPG

I think I need a PE break, get the brass barrels fitted and get some primer sprayed.

Thanks for looking

Alan

So the only assembling that got done at the weekend was putting together a treadmill for a friend who doesn't like walking in the Florida summer.

Back with Geisenau I thought I would knock out the remaining brass barrels and start painting. I hadn't realized how many barrels there are to install and how small they are. I did think I might just stay with the plastic barrels because they look quite nice nut when you put the brass barrels next to them they look a bit clumsy.

These are the 105 mm guns I believe

1932198014_RIMG0399(1280x720).jpg.4a4793242a8d8028471938f49d8211cb.jpg

And the 10

937748556_RIMG0401(1280x720).jpg.d6245ebe5d20543e938dacb8f9ac6727.jpg

In the end I managed to do half the 105mm and about the same for the 150 mm guns. I think there is another package of barrels lurking in the box still to be used.

I did complete the catapult PE and mounted it along with a few other miscellaneous parts. The pile of parts is lowering a bit and I'm looking forward to getting some primer in place. Its slow because I'm generally having to evaluate whether I can build up an assebly or find I've complicated my life when it comes round to fitting the wooden decks.

1943855018_RIMG0402(1280x720).jpg.260b9ca4fd1fedd26b93f81414070771.jpg

274554048_RIMG0403(1280x720).jpg.3c2c62fc6aee2f8e3462f2e6fede33d7.jpg

RIMG0405.thumb.JPG.8fa57cab16967c7d369f0f8b6f4ab355.JPG

Thanks for looking in

Alan

That is looking lovely Alan,   I think all who attempt and do well at this scale deserve a medal.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

Not a lot to report - guns and more guns. I finished adding the brass barrels to the 105mm guns. The all plastic 37mm guns were fiddly and the barrels are very delicate. Cleaning the sprue off was a bit nerve-wracking. No spares for this calibre.  I have one more set of brass barrels to install in the individual 150 mm turrets and then the paint shop awaits.

RIMG0411.thumb.JPG.f1d4cac4b0fc4e515dfab0c44f12e0a4.JPG

I see Mt Stubby Fingers accidently moved one of the 105 mm barrels. These photos are great for catching that sort of stuff

Thanks for visiting

Alan

Yesterday I started primer coast. I haven't used this much primer in a single session before and there are still a few parts still to do. Looking where I am with the build I think Flyhawk provided the parts for Scharnhorst as well so I think there will be some unused parts.

Today the dark grey went onto the metal decks and the gun turret tops. Some light grey on the secondary armaments and small deck fittings. I masked the wooden deck areas so the wooden deck will be sticking to the bare plastic rather than paint. I'm hoping that will improve adhesion. I don't know if that is really necessary but I didn't want to mess up the wooden decks

672376652_RIMG0010(1280x720).jpg.a88d49c1eadb99e8decd744539c3381c.jpg

1444358154_RIMG0011(1280x710).jpg.608ece151c9e7d44277acf4370444435.jpg

1761991089_RIMG0012(1280x720).jpg.5129fa0003031607866b3b5260993417.jpg

1244808107_RIMG0013(1280x720).jpg.8620b0236edd0489716e7aebe7ad6f23.jpg

Next up will be masking the dark grey areas and painting the hull grey and superstructure before returning to building up details.

Thanks for looking

Alan

Loverly jubbly mate,  what Primer did you use?  I ask as i am thinking of buying some Vallejo Primer in Grey (I have thier Black one already)

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

Loverly jubbly mate,  what Primer did you use?  I ask as i am thinking of buying some Vallejo Primer in Grey (I have thier Black one already)

OC.

Thank you for the kind words OC. I'm using the Vallejo black primer. I have their grey too but I like the black with thin layers of the final coat it seems to give some shading and depth to the model. I air brush it undiluted or with a few drops of their thinner. It doesn't need much thinner at all. 

Alan

OC.

Thank you for the kind words OC. I'm using the Vallejo black primer. I have their grey too but I like the black with thin layers of the final coat it seems to give some shading and depth to the model. I air brush it undiluted or with a few drops of their thinner. It doesn't need much thinner at all. 

Alan

Today was a monster grey spray day. The hull grey was sprayed (on the hull) and the superstructure modules and components got the light grey treatment and emptied my bottle of light grey. The masks were taken off and the hull and some structure is now ready for the wooden decks and then more detail and PE as they get built up. The fine detail and PE that Flyhawk puts in their models is starting so show nicely.

1099249736_RIMG0015(1280x720).jpg.e3b5a656d08a15682ced7cf5b6277698.jpg

RIMG0016.thumb.JPG.d1ba2b81080022f77c05a04c548e99ab.JPG

115139308_RIMG0017(1280x720).jpg.554ad68037d1502787d4b94531a18115.jpg

RIMG0019.thumb.JPG.33e5f6918c63e80be37bc4ef1e633934.JPG
Thanks for looking and have a great weekend

Alan