Billings smit rotterdam structure help

Hello 

I'm trying to fit a raboesch 108-03 bow thruster on my billings smit rotterdam kit. The problem is that the forward hull frames are in the way and would need some serious cutting to make it fit. 

As I see it the way would be to cut frame 11. The cut will need to be down to the yellow line and I'm wondering if this may cause problems? 

Has anyone got any advice for fitting this kit with a bow thruster? Thanks 

IMG_20210723_145053.jpg

IMG_20210723_151057.jpg

IMG_20210723_151246.jpg

There doesn't appear to be much of frame 11 there now.  I would plan to reinforce both forward and aft edges of the joint of frame 10 to the hull planks with epoxy - fill in the gaps.  As this is obviously a r/c boat and the outside planking has or will be fiberglassed I would think about a layer of fiberglass on the inside of the hull between frames 10 and 12.

If the interior of the hull has already been covered with epoxy or resin the joints of frames 10 & 12 might already be strengthened with the application of resin or epoxy making the joints stronger than they appear.  And even the addition of fiberglass might be overkill.

Either way take the frame down as low as you need.

Kurt Van Dahm

Director

NAUTICAL RESEARCH GUILD

www.thenrg.org

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS

CLUBS

Nautical Research & Model Ship Society of Chicago

Midwest Model Shipwrights

North Shore Deadeyes

The Society of Model Shipwrights

Butch O'Hare - IPMS

Kurts advice is absolutely spot on.  Just remove as much material as you need and fit the thruster.  What a lot of builders do is then make a false very low bulkhead and then back fill the entire void with epoxy resin.  Here's a couple of pictures of the thruster that I fitted in a Fairmount Alpine which didn't need that much backfilling but I could of completely filled the space if I wanted too.  I hope that this helps.

1010.jpg

1047.jpg

• 1 month later...