question about lug rig set-up

Hi there:

I'm wondering if anyone has any resources on how to set up a lug rig for a small vessel - this is in relation to a current small build I've got going of a 14' rowing skiff. I saw an image of it adapted for sail with a lug rig, but as hard as I've tried to examine images of this rig, I haven't been able to find many details on the set-up...any assistance or resources on this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance

hamilton

current builds: Corel HMS Bellona (1780)

previous builds: MS Phantom (scuttled, 2017); MS Sultana (1767); Corel Brittany Sloop (scuttled, 2022); MS Kate Cory; MS Armed Virginia Sloop (in need of a refit); Corel Flattie; Mamoli Gretel; Amati Bluenose (1921) (scuttled, 2023); AL San Francisco (destroyed by land krakens [i.e., cats]); Corel Toulonnaise (1823); 
MS Glad Tidings (1937) (in need of a refit)HMS Blandford (1719) from Corel HMS GreyhoundFair Rosamund (1832) from OcCre Dos Amigos (missing in action); Amati Hannah (ship in a bottle); Mamoli America (1851)Bluenose fishing schooner (1921) (scratch)

under the bench: Admiralty Echo cross-section; MS Emma C Barry; MS USS Constitution; MS Flying Fish; Corel Berlin; a wood supplier Colonial Schooner Hannah; Victory Models H.M.S. Fly; CAF Models HMS Granado; MS USS Confederacy

When I was a teen (1969-70) the lug rigged boats were set with a rope/bullseye type fitting that dropped onto a traveller hook that was raised up and down on the mast.  Just a short portion protruded forward of the mast.  When we tacked it was one fellows job to dip the lug to the other side of the mast.

I'll see if I have any photos.

I should have mentioned the traveller was a leather covered metal hoop with a hook.  A halyard was used to raise/lower it.

update: photos I have are too far away, or the traveller is too high (out of frame).  sorry.

Edited by AON

Alan O'Neill
"only dead fish go with the flow"   :dancetl6:

Ongoing Build (31 Dec 2013) - HMS BELLEROPHON (1786), POF scratch build, scale 1:64, 74 gun 3rd rate Man of War, Arrogant Class

Member of the Model Shipwrights of Niagara, Niagara Region, Ontario, Canada (2016), and the Nautical Research Guild (since 2014)

Associate member of the Nautical Research and Model Ship Society (2021)

Offshore member of The Society of Model Shipwrights (2021)

Thanks Alan and Spyglass! Very helpful descriptions/photos. I'll see what I can do once the time comes to consider a sail arrangement. Thanks again!

hamilton

previous builds: MS Phantom (scuttled, 2017); MS Sultana (1767); Corel Brittany Sloop (scuttled, 2022); MS Kate Cory; MS Armed Virginia Sloop (in need of a refit); Corel Flattie; Mamoli Gretel; Amati Bluenose (1921) (scuttled, 2023); AL San Francisco (destroyed by land krakens [i.e., cats]); Corel Toulonnaise (1823); 
MS Glad Tidings (1937) (in need of a refit)HMS Blandford (1719) from Corel HMS GreyhoundFair Rosamund (1832) from OcCre Dos Amigos (missing in action); Amati Hannah (ship in a bottle); Mamoli America (1851)Bluenose fishing schooner (1921) (scratch)

under the bench: Admiralty Echo cross-section; MS Emma C Barry; MS USS Constitution; MS Flying Fish; Corel Berlin; a wood supplier Colonial Schooner Hannah; Victory Models H.M.S. Fly; CAF Models HMS Granado; MS USS Confederacy

I think the unusual pic without the lug dipped is because the cox'n has no crew to do it and he cannot leave the tiller unattended.

Alan O'Neill
"only dead fish go with the flow"   :dancetl6:

Ongoing Build (31 Dec 2013) - HMS BELLEROPHON (1786), POF scratch build, scale 1:64, 74 gun 3rd rate Man of War, Arrogant Class

Member of the Model Shipwrights of Niagara, Niagara Region, Ontario, Canada (2016), and the Nautical Research Guild (since 2014)

Associate member of the Nautical Research and Model Ship Society (2021)

Offshore member of The Society of Model Shipwrights (2021)

On Sinagots (a small French fishing boat)  Have two masts with lug sails. They are set up with the top spare for one mast on one side, and the top spar for the other on the oposite side. Thus one sail, or the other, is against the mast depending on which tack they are on.

800px-Sinagot-les-trois-freres.jpg.9724aa8b3e2f870f3a0770cebe2768ac.jpg

full_Joli-Vent-4.jpg.2f31591c303e7c5ae54b8f0765a4296c.jpg

Thanks all for this feedback!

Ron - these pictures are very clarifying in terms of the lug rig set-up - especially for the downhaul. 

Spyglass - that link is also extremely useful - I guess I didn't dig deeply enough during my own searches!!

Thanks again all for the info!

hamilton

As far as I am aware, there are two (traditional) types of lug-sails, the standing lug and the dipping lug. As the name indicates, only the dipping lug is normally shifted to the lee, when tacking.

The difference is that the part of the yard before the mast of a dipping lug is shorter than that of a standing lug. Also the tack of dipping lug is belayed onto the mast, so that in consequence the luff is inclined.

On a standing lug the tack is belayed somewhere forward on the boat, so that the luff is more or less vertical. A standing lug can also be taken around the mast, but you will need more crew for this to control the tack and the large part of the sail before the mast. You probably have to take the sail down for this except in very light winds.

Tradtionally, lug-sails do not have a boom - for a good reason, because they are the sails of working boats, where you want to take in the sail quickly with a small crew and do not want to clutter the boat with another spar where you have to handle nets etc.

The boom seems to be a modern addition to sporting boats. 

wefalck

panta rhei - Everything is in flux

M-et-M-72.jpg  Banner-AKHS-72.jpg  Banner-AAMM-72.jpg  ImagoOrbis-72.jpg