Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 - by Kevin - July 2021 - finished March 2022

.Good evening everyone

with my summer break i am starting another wagon, 

Taken from Wikki

Stagecoaches were familiar vehicles along the main roads of the East and the South before the coming of railroads in the 1830s and 1840s. Even as the nation's network of iron and steel rails grew larger and more comprehensive, stagecoach connections to small and isolated communities continued to supplement passenger trains well into the second decade of the twentieth century. However, stagecoach travel was most difficult and dangerous across the vast expanse of the American West, where it attracted the most attention. In large measure that was because of the inordinately great distances involved and the Herculean effort required to maintain regular service across the region's dry and sparsely populated landscape.

Stagecoach lines in the East tended to connect preexisting centers of population, and passengers took regular meals at the established inns and taverns along the way. Nothing of the kind existed in the West in 1858, when John Butterfield undertook an overland stage line connecting St. Louis and San Francisco by way of El Paso, Texas. The route also ran through Tucson and Los Angeles, but neither was more than a village of a few hundred residents at that time. A federal contract paid the stage company $600,000 a year to carry U.S. mail across the continent, and that money helped subsidize way stations at regular intervals, where, in the absence of existing settlements along most of the proposed route, the coaches could change draft animals and the passengers could find food. The Butterfield organization spent nearly a year getting everything into place to support semiweekly stagecoach service.

When Butterfield's Overland Mail Line opened for business on 16 September 1858, the 2,795-mile journey between San Francisco and St. Louis required approximately three weeks of hard traveling, and that was during the best weather. The coaches kept moving all through the day and night except for brief intervals at way stations. Stagecoach fare did not include the cost of meals, which at an average price of a dollar each three times a day for three weeks might effectively add 50 percent to the cost of a through ticket. Sleep had to be obtained aboard the rocking coach.

Antedating Butterfield's line, a stage line connected San Diego and San Antonio in 1857 with semimonthly coaches. Even earlier, in 1849, a stage line of sorts connected Independence, Missouri, and Santa FeNew Mexico. But these earlier carriers were not as ambitious as the Butterfield line, nor were they run with the attention to detail that a large support structure demanded.

In the spring of 1861, with the threat of Civil War and Texas's secession from the Union, the transcontinental stage line moved north. Following the central Over-land Trail, it stretched through the future states of Wyoming,

Utah, and Nevada. Again the Overland Stage Line had to spend a small fortune to build the support structure required for regular operations across the sparsely populated corridor. The long transcontinental journey remained as rigorous as before.

The transcontinental stage line attained its greatest geographical reach under the leadership of Ben Holladay. In the mid-1860s, lines of the Holladay Overland Mail and Express Company extended west from the Missouri River steamboat landings in Kansas and Nebraska to a hub in Salt Lake City. From there additional lines served outposts as distant as Butte, Montana, and The Dalles, Oregon, where steamboat connections to Portland were available. Incurring heavy losses in 1864 and 1965 during the Native American unrest that sometimes prevented overland stagecoaches from running, Holladay in November 1866 sold his interests to Wells, Fargo and Company. Wells, Fargo operated stagecoaches along the transcontinental route between Salt Lake City and Sacramento, California, where steamboats connected to San Francisco. Holladay subsequently acquired and built railroad lines in Oregon.

Railroads generated a great deal of excitement all across the West. As the tracks of the first transcontinental railroad extended east from Sacramento and west from Omaha in the late 1860s, stagecoaches served a shrinking gap. That gap closed when railroad officials drove a last spike at Promontory, Utah, in May 1869 and trains linked California with the rest of the United States for the first time. The era of stagecoaches along the central Overland Trail was over, but thereafter various smaller stage lines linked transcontinental trains to distant outposts. Until buses became popular around the time of World War I, many a road-weary stagecoach continued to meet passenger trains and provide transportation to remote villages in the West. The term "stage" was commonly used to describe any coach, wagon, or sleigh used as a public conveyance. In the 1860s, the heyday of stagecoach lines, the Concord coach, handcrafted in Concord, New Hampshire, by Abbot, Downing and Company, became the quintessential icon of transportation across the frontier West. The first Concord in California, transported aboard a clipper ship that sailed from New England around Cape Horn, inaugurated service out of San Francisco on 25 June 1850.

The familiar egg-shaped body of the Concord coach was renowned for its great strength and its ability to keep passengers dry while floating them across flood-swollen streams. Because the inevitable twisting of the coach body on the rough terrain could easily shatter glass windows, it had only adjustable leather curtains to keep out the dust, wind, and rain. The heavy body, often weighing a ton or more, rode on thick, six-or eight-ply leather belts called thoroughbraces to insulate it from the constant pounding of the wheels over makeshift roads. Nevertheless, the swaying made some passengers seasick. Mark Twain aptly characterized the Concord coach as a "cradle on wheels."

Not all stagecoaches were of the familiar type. Vehicles called "celerity" or "mud" wagons were much lighter and cheaper than Concord coaches and, because they had no springs, offered a much rougher ride. They were primarily used on lines where passenger and express traffic was too light to justify the expense of Concord coaches.

A Concord coach could accommodate as many as nine passengers inside and another six or more on the roof, though no one in a crowded coach rode in comfort. In an age renowned for its propriety and formality, perfect strangers, both men and women, might have to interlock knees in the cramped space of the interior or rest a weary head on another's shoulder. Some passengers passed the long hours of an overland journey by drinking themselves into alcoholic stupors, while others organized or participated in impromptu songfests. One common form of entertainment was to shoot at the wild animals, such as antelope and prairie dogs, visible from coach windows. Some passengers probably whiled away the long hours worrying about Indian attacks, even though attacks and stagecoach holdups were both infrequent. The violence associated with stagecoach travel in the West was for the most part an exaggeration fostered by dime novelsBuffalo Bill Cody's Wild West Show, and Hollywood westerns.

Each stagecoach passenger was allowed a maximum of twenty-five pounds of baggage, which rode in a large rear pouch called a boot. The U.S. mail typically rode in the front or rear boot, although, as Mark Twin recalled from personal experience in Roughing It (1872), a large load of mail might be shoved among the feet of passengers. Any express shipments, often gold and silver, rode close to the feet of the driver, a skilled horseman who handled the team of four or six draft animals from a seat atop the coach. Sometimes a special messenger accompanied express shipments to guard them from bandits. On occasion a stagecoach might carry a shipment of produce, such as fresh apples from the orchards of Utah to remote towns in Idaho and Montana.

Twain's personal account of overland stage travel in the early 1860s is evocative and true to fact. However, the 1939 Hollywood epic Stagecoach, directed by John Ford and featuring a young John Wayne, probably did more than anything else to foster modern perceptions of stagecoach travel as both romantic and dangerous. Louis McLane, onetime head of Wells, Fargo and Company, the most famous name in overland stagecoach travel, wrote to his wife in 1865 about artistic depictions of travel by coach, "I thought staging looked very well to the lithographer, but was the devil in reality." Many hearty travellers who crossed the West by stagecoach in the late 1850s and the 1860s surely would have agreed.

IMG_0476.JPG

Edited by Kevin

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

rated as one being better detailed than the 1/12 Model Trailways Concorde Stagecoach i fancied this after the discovery of my Tudor mansion, built and forgotten about, and it quickly follows my completion of the hearse build

what i have found to be a pain, no instruction handbook, just a CD, or you can download from different places

IMG_0483.thumb.JPG.c088be2318de3d239a5ff727d3ad6d2d.JPGIMG_0482.thumb.JPG.f5dbeab06d7d00efd1305780a6a1253c.JPGIMG_0481.thumb.JPG.dd1261eb876d1df3d5222e790a721fd0.JPGIMG_0480.thumb.JPG.44d7873be2c5264ff26e327d6dda2b38.JPGIMG_0479.thumb.JPG.d6faf8fc12e9ab42e86101b8394d2ea8.JPGIMG_0478.thumb.JPG.dc7f9c76cf846e7c889e6990bebd37ff.JPGIMG_0477.thumb.JPG.ed8a80d150233c4551e0f1491e361e9a.JPGIMG_0476.thumb.JPG.902c176e2c3f2cbed0f44e61fbf83b84.JPGIMG_0484.thumb.JPG.213cfccd04e10c507e6e482cccd27d0f.JPG

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

"Ah there  it is"     looks like a really nice kit,   I  built an Artesania Latina  Victory kit  before the crash in here, what struck me was the quality of the materials, hope the same follows into your build mate.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

I'm in on this one after seeing the hearse.  

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

lol im in day 1 of a non ship build, and already have more comments (well not quite) than on a years work on the Amerigo 

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

Finished     

Count me in too, Kevin. I'll join the big boys, over at the bar. 😁

Had a flashback to John Wayne's first starring role movie, "Stagecoach".  Yeah, it's Hollywood, but it's highly entertaining. And I'm a fan of most of his flicks.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

good afternoon everyone

day 2 of my latest build, 

wheels are first, But having done them last on the hearse build i am going to wait a while, however i did the hubs as i am using a different sort of acrylic paint,  they are taking some work to make them presentable

IMG_0514.thumb.JPG.aa8b1a651ce058c8fea801508877bdd0.JPGIMG_0515.thumb.JPG.87cacd1b81dd92818debd5cb536fdb8a.JPGIMG_0519.thumb.JPG.d3a7248fc21f67c99c98ce3ee05f404c.JPG

starting the chassis

the kit provides 5mm x 5mm walnut for the longitudinals and have a cleft put along the full length, i did this by hand, it looked a utter mess, so i used some 6x6 and used the table saw, 3 clefts are on either sided of the chassis front and rear  

mainly only the laser side is painted, most of this has now had at least 3 coats, with no primer

IMG_0516.thumb.JPG.a287568153f32b3f78c7b8f4e8626e63.JPGIMG_0518.thumb.JPG.eab6008deb5712cefe63954c25164188.JPGIMG_0520.thumb.JPG.d2dab6fd09e93d1447bca8e4e7480d23.JPGIMG_0521.thumb.JPG.0129cf838ccee10c1a7b30a2a60708c9.JPGIMG_0522.thumb.JPG.2e21d3e6188f1acc7f6be91b10ef5599.JPGIMG_0523.thumb.JPG.dd66e25e3387e4a34a76bd87b55a2496.JPGIMG_0524.thumb.JPG.a400e36208c6daf345dc908d2bbd5b05.JPGIMG_0526.thumb.JPG.6304e30211cc0ead241d21c6a223c162.JPGIMG_0528.thumb.JPG.753d70c285e2d8785af2c06c2e71da14.JPGIMG_0529.thumb.JPG.da93fd2d793165fac6325250039b3e23.JPG

at present i am now doing the houndsIMG_0527.thumb.JPG.f82643a50e1db208c01d969c6ec8a9e3.JPGIMG_0530.thumb.JPG.98d3109b4ecda53e0e9f95c1e2a53f38.JPG

IMG_0525.JPG

IMG_0531.JPG

IMG_0532.JPG

Edited by Kevin

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

Finished     

Looks like you are off to a good start Kevin.

Did I hear right that this place has a bar where a dry traveler can mozy in and have a few?:D

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

Yes... you heard right.   smiley_bartender.gif.f76fee25aef999fa0097adcbbcd41d2f.gif

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

2 hours ago, lmagna said:

Looks like you are off to a good start Kevin.

Did I hear right that this place has a bar where a dry traveler can mozy in and have a few?:D

Not only here, but all me build logs, welcome aboard the carriage 

Edited by Kevin

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

Finished     

Ticket to wherever its going please😉!

I'm in! ...oh a bar:cheers:

Current builds;

Henry Ramey Upcher 1:25

Providence whaleboat- 1:25     HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

Non ship:  SBD-3 Dauntless 1:48 Hasegawa -FINISHED

54 minutes ago, Edwardkenway said:

Ticket to wherever its going please😉!

I'm in! ...oh a bar:cheers:

do you want a return ticket, i have another possible build after this one before going back to the boat

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

Finished     

good evening everyone

never got quite as much done today, as the wife walked out on me

when i say the wife walked out on me that not quite what happed, for a start she got in a car, not walked, and it was our car,  and i was driving, and i knew where she was going, oh and she comes back Tuesday

the horse is still being worked on, but already i am changing things 

IMG_0532.thumb.JPG.11e4b5714e2d1ad8837f7e5afa5b4e26.JPG

one of better rebates 

IMG_0533.thumb.JPG.e70bdbb884c84049c90e0da06ef4c25c.JPGIMG_0534.thumb.JPG.35eeaed73be18fd549c214f0e290ffc0.JPGIMG_0535.thumb.JPG.7e435ba4beb2e3b3f505b64536186215.JPGIMG_0536.thumb.JPG.b3abe29819432c4c5ab40a9637d8eeec.JPGIMG_0537.thumb.JPG.6de11b36d1f8a4e6aadf6a02f1cb9950.JPGIMG_0538.thumb.JPG.b7d9ece6f26e1f463e93828fa501cb5a.JPGIMG_0539.thumb.JPG.83eac8e59fe7fc102e21a688689fc6d9.JPG

the instructions call out for a simple 3 sided brace but looking through other logs i am going with a full brace 

IMG_0542.thumb.JPG.8c6f6b2bf14c8f42fdbd650db9371719.JPG

IMG_0540.thumb.JPG.20e33785fe525ee612e4772391aab2fa.JPGIMG_0541.thumb.JPG.665c44b52c165605fa52856a1d6959f2.JPGIMG_0543.thumb.JPG.33d1fbe2503010a2efec9c4933bc8e10.JPGIMG_0544.thumb.JPG.82a9a3fa8b3b487f6eabd235b7202be5.JPG

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

Finished     

Now we have a wagonwright in our midst....

Impressive my friend, very impressive.....

Current Build: F-86F-30 Sabre by Egilman - Kinetic - 1/32nd scale

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

Terminated Build: F-104C Starfighter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

"Relish Today, Ketchup Tomorrow"

My wife always makes me drive as well when she walks out on me! She makes me pick her up as well!

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

good evening everyone

quite a bit done to the chassis today, although you wont believe it

the brass round will eventually be bent and attached to the handbrake lever, however the way the kit wants me to join them to the raft made me look at alternatives, but there would need to be more room required to achieve it so i came up with my own idea, which is tidier and looks better

the lever moves this raft which in turn creates friction on the wheels to slow them down

IMG_0547.thumb.JPG.0caf113dcf8c63da11c1888a080f774f.JPGIMG_0545.thumb.JPG.4b2bde00abe3bef0b10e26a0bf228463.JPG

these bits of brass sandwich the raft which is tidier then a 1mm hole to attach

IMG_0546.thumb.JPG.0aca03a00302be73a2402be5956597e4.JPG

carriage suspension

each corner has a vertical metal bandings and has taken some time to get right 

two metal strips are turned at one end, and fixed to the frame the other, a folded bands secures them, and a rod stops them from collapsing 

IMG_0548.thumb.JPG.de5bdd36456d0b8a21932f6ea90d31e5.JPGIMG_0554.thumb.JPG.9ada8a74c042e2e4afb650fceee5a08a.JPGIMG_0555.thumb.JPG.211094d6af319966981ab12a900b49f5.JPGIMG_0556.thumb.JPG.130725786301c5ba7edaad71da746aba.JPGIMG_0557.thumb.JPG.14fe8ea438785305586d659891dda81f.JPGIMG_0558.thumb.JPG.995559ad979becd3137a57c5edbb49b8.JPG

still very much work in progress

IMG_0559.thumb.JPG.19089f3cad6e8cc5f6fa10cf665f7bc3.JPGIMG_0560.thumb.JPG.47daadf089dae8b9402a4d561def3296.JPGIMG_0561.thumb.JPG.573e7954db431cba547b7895b4799c6e.JPGIMG_0562.thumb.JPG.e6b3fbc437709a760def3571a636d09e.JPGIMG_0563.thumb.JPG.e33aa7cbabb061444061599a02be183a.JPG

Edited by Kevin

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

Finished     

That is Excellent close clean work mate  - all your projects are like mini engineering jobs.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

18 hours ago, yvesvidal said:

Very interesting chassis. "Modern" pick-up trucks are not that far ahead of that coach.... 😉

Yves

but the brakes are slightly better

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

Finished     

good morning everyone

the chassis work is coming to an end with the exception of the wheels

the carriage suspension is in place, but the the restrain bars still need to be fitted, these stop the whole top part moving forward/backways and collapsing

from these suspension arm, i then made up the brackets that takes the banding to which the carriage sits on, im bit confused what this was made off, the kits wants me to make it from wood, and i presume to paint it so its looks like metal, how ever the Model Trailways kits shows it as being leather like 

i adapted the brake lever to raft join again, it is now feasable that the lever can be moved to moved the raft to create friction on the wheels#

IMG_0564.JPG

IMG_0567.JPG

IMG_0568.JPG

IMG_0570.JPG

IMG_0571.JPG

IMG_0572.JPG

IMG_0574.JPG

IMG_0575.JPG

IMG_0576.JPG

IMG_0577.JPG

IMG_0578.JPG

IMG_0579.JPG

IMG_0580.JPG

IMG_0581.JPG

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

Finished     

2 hours ago, Kevin said:

i then made up the brackets that takes the banding to which the carriage sits on, im bit confused what this was made off, the kits wants me to make it from wood, and i presume to paint it so its looks like metal, how ever the Model Trailways kits shows it as being leather like 

The approx. 1/12th scale Jan. 1946 Popular Mechanics plan for an Overland Stagecoach calls for two plys of thin leather.... The real thing used 4-8 plies depending on how rough the roads were and the size of the coach.... In real life they would be looped thru the shackles on either end and riveted thru iron plates like in a sandwich, plate /leather plies/plate arrangement... The direction of the loop would be down thru the center top of the shackle with the tag end of the leather strips on the bottom to form a tight loop around the shackle pin, when done, it looks like a rubber band that cradles the coach body on each side.... That's the method the PM plans show...

They used a similar method of attaching the coach body to the leather supports on the bottom of the body, plate/body floor/leather/plate with through rivets locking the whole assembly together... 

Edited by Egilman

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

Kevin, here's the diagram showing this....

January 1946 Popular Science Overland Stage, Page 118... (#4 of 5 pages)

278547207_Jan1946PopularScienceOverlandStagepg4.thumb.png.835f1a2365e030570295ab8497895f55.png

That fairly close to what they are trying to depict in wood, but it's very doable in thin leather or very smooth cloth.....

Hope it helps you figure out what they meant to do...

EG

Edited by Egilman

Quote:

Thank you so much EG

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

Finished     

My pleasure Kevin,

Kinda a lucky thing, when I was looking in my stash for pictures of the PWS-10 for Chris I came across this one and several others which I hadn't seen in about six years....

When I read your question, I figured it was time to drag it out.... It does make the cabin suspension system clear doesn't it.... One other thing, in the lower right corner you see the brake return spring mounted to the brake beam which pushes against a block affixed to the frame center rail.... This was the positive release of the brake when they kicked the lever out of it's ratchet pawl lock..... I didn't see that in the kit's plans.....

Again my pleasure, glad I still had it....

Good luck... gonna be beautiful....

Edited by Egilman

Quote:

3 hours ago, Egilman said:

My pleasure Kevin,

Kinda a lucky thing, when I was looking in my stash for pictures of the PWS-10 for Chris I came across this one and several others which I hadn't seen in about six years....

When I read your question, I figured it was time to drag it out.... It does make the cabin suspension system clear doesn't it.... One other thing, in the lower right corner you see the brake return spring mounted to the brake beam which pushes against a block affixed to the frame center rail.... This was the positive release of the brake when they kicked the lever out of it's ratchet pawl lock..... I didn't see that in the kit's plans.....

Again my pleasure, glad I still had it....

Good luck... gonna be beautiful....

i may get a few things wrong on this build, but i have intentions of two other builds before i get back to the Amerigo, one of them will be a semi scratch horse drawn Omnibus with possibly a donar chassis

image.jpeg.544baa1bb6943772ea2acdde2e253626.jpeg

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

Finished     

The interesting thing about the leather suspension, unlike a modern car spring, it was not for the comfort of the passengers, but to reduce the shock loading on the horses, as the body bounced around.

2 hours ago, thibaultron said:

The interesting thing about the leather suspension, unlike a modern car spring, it was not for the comfort of the passengers, but to reduce the shock loading on the horses, as the body bounced around.

i read that it also made the carriage sway a lot, causing motion sickness

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

Finished     

good evening everyone

i have taken the chassis as far as i can for now, as i want to strip it down and repaint it, 

i found some white elastic which was stained black, with ink looks like it might work for the suspension strapping

the brake bar has now been bent 90 degrees  to now for the handbrake

i started the top this evening, one of the best tips i have learnt recently is c/a with a decent PVA and some accelerator, works a dream, when you dont have the right size clamps, its is also pinned

IMG_0582.thumb.JPG.7b063bbdb937d972265071ae423722b1.JPGIMG_0583.thumb.JPG.bed9535eb291ab1d8fd92dea32a3efb8.JPGIMG_0584.thumb.JPG.d15ad30ef8bb5ddd4f67e4437fd0297a.JPGIMG_0585.thumb.JPG.7452661471b65cdc4c9110de03c4f862.JPG

white elastic bought for making facemasks, stained black for the leather strapping

IMG_0586.thumb.JPG.c8186be9d1ddb344aa12cd24e9222982.JPGIMG_0587.thumb.JPG.e05036098fb4caf6bfadc5650acdac6f.JPGIMG_0592.thumb.JPG.f6fe6ae04302d26bd15c09402ad3410b.JPGIMG_0593.thumb.JPG.c34eea1b227a53e7abdaf4135f8e64a0.JPGIMG_0594.thumb.JPG.07e6e02c7571604e04af6b1cc6b6b374.JPGIMG_0595.thumb.JPG.4160b3d5989b5c389d16554776270850.JPG

Edited by Kevin

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

Finished