Electric plank bender from Micromark - Does this work?

Electric plank benders are legit for wood bending. You just need to get the hang of it to not burn the wood.

There are also plank bender like this one https://www.agesofsail.com/ecommerce/amati-kits/amati-form-a-strip-am7381.html.  I personally use that one the most but it can be tricky to use and it does weaken the wood if you need a really tight bend.

You can also use a curling iron.   With just about any tool used for bending that involves heat, you'll still need to hold it in place.  I prefer the heat method using a curling iron, a hair dryer or heat gun.   For hair dryer/heat gun I use a piece of scrap wood with pins stuck in it to the shape I need.   

Go here and see post #2.  Near the bottom is a video on how to do it.    https://modelshipworld.com/forum/18-modeling-tools-and-workshop-equipment/

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Before doing that check out the planking tutorials here.

Completely different way of doing it without one of those and it works better.

https://modelshipworld.com/forum/98-planking-downloads-and-tutorials-and-videos/

Paul

Current Build: HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48

Completed Build: HM Cutter Cheerful-Syren Ship Models 1/48

Completed Build:  Artesania Latina Bluenose II

Completed Build Lady Nelson

I use an electric plank bender and they work fine. I do not hold them in place however while they dry. I'm talking about the second planking on a double planked ship.  I bend them to the curve I want testing by putting them in place. When I'm satisfied I just let them dry on my bench and then next day glue then treenail. I use pva and hold in place with fingers for a count of 100 and this usually works. Really tough bends may require holding to a count of 300 but they do stick.

Completed scratch build: The armed brig "Badger" 1777

Current scratch build: The 36 gun frigate "Unite" 1796

Completed kits: Mamoli "Alert", Caldercraft "Sherbourne"

15 hours ago, BenD said:

There are also plank bender like this one https://www.agesofsail.com/ecommerce/amati-kits/amati-form-a-strip-am7381.html.  I personally use that one the most but it can be tricky to use and it does weaken the wood if you need a really tight bend.

The problem with this type besides weakening the wood is that the crimped side is no longer fit to be viewed - so if one uses this type they can't do open boats or anything where the inside of the plank is visible.

Kurt Van Dahm

Director

NAUTICAL RESEARCH GUILD

www.thenrg.org

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS

CLUBS

Nautical Research & Model Ship Society of Chicago

Midwest Model Shipwrights

North Shore Deadeyes

The Society of Model Shipwrights

Butch O'Hare - IPMS

Laggard,

I've tried most methods of plank bending including the 'soldering iron' version you mention.

So far, it's my go-to solution.... it's compact, can do bends in two ot three planes with a bit of practice and luck.  I sprinkle water on the wood and the proforma (to improve heat transfer) before putting the hot iron to the wood.

A drawback is that it doesn't have an auto-time off feature, or warning light that it is On. So one needs to keep skin etc clear of the hot tip till it is cool, and to remember to switch it off when not in use.

Richard

On 8/2/2021 at 1:25 PM, Rik Thistle said:

So one needs to keep skin etc clear of the hot tip till it is cool, and to remember to switch it off when not in use.

Indeed! I've burned myself several times with mine but I haven't burned the house down yet!!

Bob Garcia

"Measure once, cuss twice!"

Current Builds: 

Hms Brig-Sloop Flirt 1782 - Vanguard Models

Pen Duick - Artesania Latina 1:28

Completed: Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Co. 

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

Although I own an electric plank bender, it rarely sees any use.  I have switched over to a heat gun designed for circuit board manufacture.  The heat is directed to a small area and there is no scorching of the wood.  

Toni

Chairman Nautical Research Guild

Member Nautical Research and Model Society

Member Midwest Model Shipwrights

Current Builds:     NRG Rigging Project

Completed Builds: Longboat - 1:48 scale       HMS Atalanta-1775 - 1:48 scale       Half Hull Planking Project      Capstan Project     Swallow 1779 - 1:48 scale               Echo Cross Section   

Gallery:  Hannah - 1:36 scale.

I have long given up the Amati form a strip, I soak the planks for a short time and then use a plank bender. The trip is dry by the time i have finished. I have the aeropiccola plank bender but really struggle with it. Lifting the roller to put the plank under once hot is not easily accomplished.

Current Build(s):

• H.M.S Diana 1794 - Caldercraft 1:64 Scale

Completed Builds: