New member from Scotland (Falkirk)

Hi all, 

I am new to modelling and discovered this wonderful site last week. After a few days of lurking, it seemed best to make an account! 

I was hoping to elicit some suggestions for a first project. I reviewed the pinned post in the wood ship kit discussion board but am still at a loss. 

Vanguard Model’s Zulu looks lovely, but it seems more like a great second project. I am hoping to find a first kit that isn’t as expensive, so I would be less worried about making mistakes. 

Are there any models under £100 that are forgiving for a first timer? From the models recommended in the first build post it seems I can get most of the Artesania Latina kits and some Model Shipways’.

My suggestion would be to find a subject that you are passionate about.  Mistakes?  You'll make them, and I think we all have and continue to do.  The most important thing to remember is that there are very few mistakes that can't be solved.  Don't underestimate the time required, and think about you feel about doing repeated items.  Zulu looks like a great kit, and there are some great buildlogs here to help you along.

Cheers,

Jason

"Which it will be ready when it is ready!"

In the shipyard:

HMS Jason (c.1794: Artois Class 38 gun frigate)

Queen Anne Royal Barge (c.1700)

Finished:

HMS Snake (c.1797: Cruizer Class, ship rigged sloop)

Small boats make excellent first models. A company called Midwest Products used to manufacture a great line of such kits, though they have since dropped them from their offerings; they still turn up on eBay regularly. Model Shipways and BlueJacket Shipcrafters have both been working to fill the gap -- check with Cornwall Model Boats to see what they have in stock on your side of the pond.

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Hawker Hurricane

Hello, and welcome aboard!

For a first model I recommend a small one (size) but big scale. As you mentioned, Artesanía Latina has several good options, adequately priced and with excellent materials, but their instructions are somewhat lacking.

If you have never worked with wood, I suggest a boat with a solid hull. The Phantom by Model Shipways looks like a great option.

As Beef Wellington advises, finds something that you love. Is it racing boats? Schooners? Fishing? Whaling? Take a look at the forums and the build logs. You will surely find something that catches your eye.

Eurus

My logs:

Providence Whaleboat

ARM Cuauhtémoc

Thanks all for the advice. I don't plan on starting a project until later next month, so will take my time to research and find something I am passionate about building (while still being achievable with no experience). Will also read some build logs from other users in the meantime to learn more about the process

1 hour ago, Razorbill said:

Will also read some build logs

Look for build logs with "first build" either in the title or in a tag -- these will show you what other beginners have tackled.

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Hawker Hurricane

I'd have to agree - the best first model is one from Vanguard Models.  You may find cheaper ones with the result you become discouraged with models and simply never finish it. I have to disagree about Midwest Models, I found two on eBay to build with my grandkids and found them much more frustrating and irritating than any other model I've built - cheap is what they are in both prices and build-ability. You truly get what you pay for and a cheap model is not the place to start.

Chris provides detailed and expert instructions with well thought out plans to go with a model that is designed with modern concepts and supplied with high quality material - all pear wood verses brittle walnut as example.  You will make mistakes, we all do, your chances of recovering from those and still  being inspired to finish with one of the Zulu models than any other kit out there for a first timer.  A beginner, or even advanced, builder just can't go wrong with a Vanguard model.

Regards,

Glenn

Current Build: HMS Winchelsea
Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose

:sign:

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Hello and welcome aboard!

My thought is, which era is your passion? The age of sail? Early steamers? Passenger ships? Iron warships (of which the variety is almost endless)? What do you want to see on your mantle? And how big is the area for display?

If you're new to the art, start simple and smaller, but larger in scale, it will not be as discouraging as building a ship the requires untold hours of tedious rigging. You will see results quicker which will inspire you.

All the best!

Dan

Appreciate all of the advice and warm welcome :)

Vanguard's Zulu and Fifie are incredibly tempting, especicially after reading the build logs chris posted. They look like very high quality kits and the manual pdfs I took a peak at are very detailed.

I am kind of coming into the hobby backwards, appreciate the craft of the models but do not know much about ships/naval history at all. Will take my time to research and find something I am passionate about.

Welcome aboard Razorbill. Another thought may be to try a solid hull model. One of my first builds was the Yankee Hero kit available from BlueJacket Model Crafrers...Moab

Completed Builds:

Virginia Armed Sloop...Model Shipways

Ranger...Corel

Louise Steam Launch...Constructo

Hansa Kogge...Dusek

Yankee Hero...BlueJacket

Spray...BlueJacket

26’ Long Boat...Model Shipways

Under Construction:

Emma C. Berry...Model Shipways

4 hours ago, Razorbill said:

hobby backwards,

I know a ship has a bow and a stern, it gets dicey after that 🤣😂 I love working with the wood and the lines and grace of a sailing ship. Build what seems interesting, the rest will come

Regards,

Glenn

Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose

On 8/5/2021 at 5:27 AM, glbarlow said:

I know a ship has a bow and a stern

Please Glenn - at least use the correct terminology - "Sharp end" and "blunt end" :P

On a more serious note, welcome to MSW, Razorbill! Take your time - it's not a race - both deciding on what you want to build, and building it. I'd second the comments above - start simple, but don't be worried about making mistakes - we all do - the more experienced modellers just make more interesting ones.

Good to have you aboard. When you get started, begin a build log - not only so we can see your model as you progress, but it's also a great way to ask questions and get help and advice from other members, who may well have encountered the same problems.

Steven 

Edited by Louie da fly

5 minutes ago, Louie da fly said:

terminology - "Sharp end" and "blunt end" 

Which one is which🤣

Regards,

Glenn

• 2 weeks later...

A bit late but hello, and welcome to MSW!

🌻

STAY SAFE

A model shipwright and an amateur historian are heads & tails of the same coin

current builds:

HMS Berwick 1775, 1/192 scratchbuild; a Slade 74 in the Navy Board style

Mediator sloop, 1/48 - an 18th century transport scratchbuild 

French longboat - CAF - 1/48, on hold

On 8/7/2021 at 12:21 PM, glbarlow said:
On 8/7/2021 at 12:15 PM, Louie da fly said:

terminology - "Sharp end" and "blunt end" 

Which one is which🤣

Hard to tell, sometimes . . .

Oh, wait! Simple, the sharp end is the bow and the blunt end is the stern . . .

20210817_091341.thumb.jpg.f4de4736e3950b8e6ba9b0ba28aba872.jpg

Sorry Razorbill. I'll get back in my box now. :P

Steven