What’s sharper? X Acto blade or disposal surgical scalpel?

I actually have no idea  - thats not a pun - but I have never used an x acto blade.  I use surgical blades and I can use up 10 a day as they blunt very quickly.  However they are also very cheap so as many as I throw away I always have a sharp blade at a very low price.  I also like the different shape of blade that I can get with surgical blades and I know that I can swap them out at any time and not worry about the cost.

You can only cut so much with any blade. Surgical blades (such as a no.11) maybe sharper but are somewhat flimsier and designed for single use only. They're designed to cut tissue, not wood. I've had no trouble scoring and cutting thin strips of wood with x-acto blades and I do recall them selling a gold series which seemed to cut better. You might wish to check out the thread by Gaetan Bordeleau on knives though. A proper knife may be more suitable for your needs.

Greg

website
Admiralty Models

moderator Echo Cross-section build
Admiralty Models Cross-section Build

Finished build
Pegasus, 1776, cross-section

Current build
Speedwell, 1752

I don't like any blades right out of the package. I use a sharpening stone to get the angle I want and then use a stropping block. When the edge is mirror shiny it's good to go for quite a while. I don't remember the last time I threw a blade out. I use the same treatment with chisels. 

A good piece of stropping leather is only $10-12 on Amazon. Most come with the stropping compound.

I find surgical blades to hold an edge a bit better than Xacto blades but  I don't try to use them for everything because they are more prone to breakage than the Xacto blades as Greg mentions.   Blades, be it Xacto, Swann Morton or similar, a razor saw, and high quaility chisels and/or knives of various sizes and shapes can be combined to handle most anything needed in our hobby.   I would throw in a few Xacto or other after market saw blades such as a key hole saw blade for the tight little areas.

Allan   

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

I do what Ben suggests.... a good stone and strop.  After every few cuts, I strop.  I use both Xacto and surgical blades.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

I did many test with knives. An Exacto does not cut very much. On the photo, from top to bottom, the less to the most cutting.

Cutting is mostly about the blade but it is also about the handle. With a small handle with no grip, you cannot deliver  a lot of power to cut.

IMG_8534.jpg

However, seldom will one cutting tool cover all situations. I keep a small supply of disposable scalpels on hand to use when they are the best fit for the job at hand. Cutting tools are no different than files, sand paper, paint brushes ect. The right tool for the job is best.

Current build: NRG Half Hull

Previous build: MS Bluenose 

I buy xacto blades on packages of 100 from amazon and just throw them out when they get dull o=r I am doing something that needs a perfectly sharp blade. I consider them expandable and they are not expansive buying them in bulk.

Paul

Current Build: HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48

Completed Build: HM Cutter Cheerful-Syren Ship Models 1/48

Completed Build:  Artesania Latina Bluenose II

Completed Build Lady Nelson

I use both Morton Swan scalpel and Excel #11 blades depending on what I’m doing. I buy both blades in bulk and change as often as I need to. That and a set of sharp Veritas mini chisels are All I need.  

Edited by glbarlow

Regards,

Glenn

Current Build: HMS Winchelsea
Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose

I agree with others that I use both scalpel and xacto for different cuts. I find xacto #11 good for cutting and carving the #11 scalpel is used for slicing and paring to flexible for cutting. I also use the Micro-Mark mini chisel set but they don't hold and edge and I've upgraded to the Vertas mini chisels.

Current Build:

Erycina 1882 Fishing Trawler by Vanguard Models 1:64 scale

Syren by pearwill Model Shipways 1:64 scale

On Hold:

HM Cutter Cheerful  Syren Shipmodel Scratch 1:48 scale

1776 Washington Row Galley scratch scratch from NRG plans #121  1:48 scale

Completed Build:

Charles W. Morgan by Artesania Latina circa 1988, Lowell Grand Banks Dory 1:24 scale by Model Shipways, Norwegian.Sailing Pram 1:12 scale by Model Shipways, Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack 1:24 scale by Model Shipways

Member Nautical Research Guild

I use no. 11 xacto blades almost exclusively unless the situation requires the curved scalpel blade.

I also resharpen the no. 11's over and over, using fine honing stones, sometimes until the cutting

edge develops a concave shape at which point they don't seem to hold the edge for very long; only

then will I replace the blade. That habit probably stems from growing up with minimal funds for

hobby supplies when I was a young'un.

In my experience, Excel blades are better than X-Acto.  

However, I like scalpels the best.  I’ve been using them exclusively for a while now.

Be careful with scalpels though, they shatter with any side pressure at all.

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

• 2 weeks later...

I use both for different purposes. #11 blades are thicker and stiffer scalpel blades are thinner so the cut has less of a bevel. #11 blades are best for paring and scalpels for cutting. And again as stated lets not for get razor saws which I use exclusively if I'm making joints. i.e. planking strakes, coamings, etc.

Current Build:

Erycina 1882 Fishing Trawler by Vanguard Models 1:64 scale

Syren by pearwill Model Shipways 1:64 scale

On Hold:

HM Cutter Cheerful  Syren Shipmodel Scratch 1:48 scale

1776 Washington Row Galley scratch scratch from NRG plans #121  1:48 scale

Completed Build:

Charles W. Morgan by Artesania Latina circa 1988, Lowell Grand Banks Dory 1:24 scale by Model Shipways, Norwegian.Sailing Pram 1:12 scale by Model Shipways, Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack 1:24 scale by Model Shipways

Member Nautical Research Guild