HMS Flirt by EKE - Vanguard Models - Scale 1:64 - Brig Sloop

We’ll, I’ve got the itch again, and the only way to scratch it is…. :)

Here we go again.  By the time I was about halfway through my build of the Vanguard Zulu “Lady Isabella”, I was so impressed with the design, engineering and quality of the product that I thought I should get my hands on another of Chris’ kits, before they proved to be no longer available, for some reason.  It’s pretty clear I didn’t need to worry, as it seems that Vanguard is a success, and I hope that Chris is making a go of the business.  Nonetheless, I bought the HMS Flirt kit, and it’s been sitting on the shelf, waiting for me, since the middle of last year.

I bought the standard version of the kit, because I just love the color and the quality of the pear wood.  I know lots of folks love the boxwood material, but I just think the color and character of pear is preferable, at least to my eye.  Personal taste, I suppose.  But the Zulu had such beautiful details rendered in pear, and I really love it.  

I did purchase the optional pearwood block set, and the optional ship’s launch “mini kit” which comes in its own adorable little custom cardboard box.  It’s almost like it’s a model for one of my daughter’s “American Girl” dolls. :)

So, off we go.  I’ve been building for about a week, so I’ve gone a little bit down the road.  I’ve been taking some photos along the way, and I’ll be posting soon.  My goals with this build is take on something a bit more complex and challenging than the Zulu, and to learn a lot as I go.  I’m planning to stick pretty closely to the stock kit and Chris’ plans, but I’ll likely add a few custom details along the way, as appropriate and as I pick up skills and ideas (that’s pretty much how I approached the Zulu).   I’ll probably rig up the cannons, for example.  Any ideas you all have that you think would be helpful or interesting, I’m all ears.  

DD38C65F-7869-462E-8B7D-8DD4D5686176.jpeg

Erik K. Evens

Architect and sailor

Evens Architects

Currently building:  Brig Sloop HMS Flirt - Vanguard Models

Completed"Lady Isabella" Scottish Fishing Zulu - Vanguard Models

I'm following along, Erik. I'm sure you'll make a beautiful model judging from the work you did on your Zulu. Good luck!

Bob Garcia

"Measure once, cuss twice!"

Current Builds: 

Hms Brig-Sloop Flirt 1782 - Vanguard Models

Pen Duick - Artesania Latina 1:28

Completed: Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Co. 

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

12 hours ago, EKE said:

I bought the standard version of the kit, because I just love the color and the quality of the pear wood.  I know lots of folks love the boxwood material, but I just think the color and character of pear is preferable, at least to my eye.  Personal taste, I suppose.  But the Zulu had such beautiful details rendered in pear, and I really love it.  

I also like the pear. Maybe it is because it looks a bit more aged.

7 hours ago, SpyGlass said:

You should overtake my months and months of Speedy build in a day or so then !!

Not at all!  I’ve been working for a week on it, but I’m not retired.  The modeling is not a full-time enterprise, sad to say.  I grab an hour here, an hour there. I am just finishing the basic framing, and haven’t gotten to fairing or planking yet.  

Erik K. Evens

Architect and sailor

Evens Architects

There are several other build logs on Flirt here on MSW, so I’ll try not to reiterate the same material, and I won’t go exhaustively through the contents of the kit.  But a few introductory notes are worthwhile. 

Upon opening the kit, I was struck by how beautifully and carefully packaged it was.  Chris clearly has made an effort to thoughtfully categorize all the components, and carefully protect them for shipping.  Everything is thoroughly labeled, and bagged in plastic with care.

As I said, I upgraded to the Master Shipwright pear block set, and this came in a little bespoke box.  Very nice.  All of the individual parts are carefully labeled in little plastic bags.  The quality of the parts looks really good.  The cannon look particularly well molded and detailed.  

The nicest surprise was the optional 18’ Cutter which I ordered.  This came in another adorable little box, like its own little doll-sized kit.  I see that Chris is offering several ships tenders in various sizes now on his website, so this kind of modularization make perfect sense.  It’s such a great looking little boat kit, I can’t wait to try building it, if I can get my big, fat ham fingers to function properly enough to build something that tiny. :)

As is the custom with Chris and Vanguard Models, the materials are top-notch, and the laser cutting is fine and precise.  The cutter Chris is using must be pretty great, and it’s clear he has his settings dialed in, because there is very little over-burn on the parts.  

5602046F-505C-40DD-A4A8-6D4569682809.jpeg

475FD24A-A57D-4DBF-B075-A6B4A746DA85.jpeg

E4967651-D069-4C7D-B18C-165F29F1F8F1.jpeg

BB2BD5B9-A50C-4EE3-887A-A05DB9F2EE25.jpeg

Edited by EKE

Erik K. Evens

Architect and sailor

Evens Architects

I cut out the keel and bulkheads, and test fit them together.  Everything slots together perfectly, no ambiguity or slop whatsoever.

B1653DA1-6CC8-445A-89DD-C6E1BBEE466F.jpeg

67319CCB-8187-45FC-9170-A2130859972C.jpeg

The framework is really well conceived and engineered.  For instance, there are these little floor braces (parts #22) which lock into bulkheads #9, 10 and 11 and serve to stabilize the end of the lower deck segments.  

Edited by EKE

Erik K. Evens

Architect and sailor

Evens Architects

Here’s the basic framework all glued up.  The parts fit snugly, and so precisely that I didn’t feel the need to use a jig of any kind to ensure all was square.  I just gave them an eyeball check to make sure all looked plumb and true.  I used Titebond to glue everything together.  

7394B768-05F4-4C0F-8715-712F122E19A7.jpeg

2767FDAF-D747-49B9-97F4-49748178973A.jpeg

Edited by EKE

Erik K. Evens

Architect and sailor

Evens Architects

Once the basic frame was dry, I started adding additional components per the instructions.  I did a rough pre-bevel of the bow bulkheads and filler pieces using my Dremel tool, and then glued them into position.  

Then I test fit, and installed the lower deck.  This is a really nicely designed component.  The lower deck comes in four quadrants, two main lower deck halves, forward, and two aft halves, for the Captain’s cabin deck.  The parts are beautifully laser-etched with planking detail.  These all slot nicely between the bulkheads, and fit perfectly.  They also lock in and brace all of the bulkheads, creating a very true and rigid framework.  So well designed.  

I glued them in, one quadrant at a time, and clamped them down with large “C” clamps at the keel.  This way they conform perfectly to the very slight curve of the upper edge of the keel, and give a very tight joint at the margin between the port and starboard deck segments.  

EDC04267-275E-44A7-B19B-8B7F3C685BAB.jpeg

CDC2BC49-5142-447D-9E5A-3EEC9B818AA3.jpeg

D964149F-C449-47C7-BEA6-D5A222FF0918.jpeg

E8AEC137-6139-4849-87F9-81335A00902A.jpeg

EC40C390-2239-4746-8730-84FA81BED519.jpeg

64865CB2-3C7B-48CB-B221-929C51F51BB6.jpeg

E9D64A7A-A503-4EEA-827E-C5417DB02CBF.jpeg

632F2E8D-3DF3-4222-B398-A7DDE496FB39.jpeg

Edited by EKE

Erik K. Evens

Architect and sailor

Evens Architects

Now that the basic framework is fleshed out, I first added the cool little door at the bulkhead opening to the Captain’s Quarters.  This is a pretty little part in pearwood, with a door panel detail etched into it.  Very nice.  Per the suggestion in the instructions, I cut the head off a brass pin and glued it on to simulate a door knob.  

This leads me to a question that perhaps could be answered by some of you who have completed this kit.  I am thinking that if the door is visible through the the open hatch in the finished deck, I should perhaps paint the bulkhead a nice vintage color before proceeding much further.  Can any of you give me an idea of how much of the interior is visible through the hatch?  I suppose I should brush on a coat or two of varnish on the door, and the lower deck surface as well.

BA40D229-DCA2-4ABE-8C4C-7A84E0EBBC48.jpeg

Then I prepared and installed the deck support columns/frames and cross beams at stations 6, 7, 8, 9, 11 and 12.  These parts all fit beautifully, with no trimming necessary.  Easy peasy.

In these photos, you can also see a test fit of the long longitudinal deck stringers which lock into the bulkheads, port and starboard.  These also fit perfectly, which is a good sign that I have all my bulkheads straight and plumb.  Gluing these in will need to wait until the last bulkheads and the transom piece are beveled and installed, but when these stringers are in place this will be a very rigid frame indeed.  This is all so very well conceived and engineered.  Thanks, Chris Watton!

CA7D06ED-D064-49E1-951A-85632B7CE125.jpeg

546316C6-1065-44AF-93A1-E12A8A041E99.jpeg

996591AB-28D1-41CF-B06E-75644EA2A732.jpeg

584C751E-A84C-47DB-9512-FAF771335870.jpeg

This brings you all up to date with where I currently am in the process.  I’m out on vacation until Monday, soaking up a little sunshine and pool time.  More soon.

-E

Edited by EKE

Erik K. Evens

Architect and sailor

Evens Architects

• 1 month later...
On 8/12/2021 at 10:53 AM, EKE said:

door is visible through the the open hatch in the finished deck, I should perhaps paint the bulkhead a nice vintage color

It is barely visible and via a hatch opening not a companionway.  I painted this bulwarks and all the lower deck "pillars" red in the hopes of catching just a glimpse from above. Looking forward to your progress as we both move along with this build!

Regards,

Glenn

Current Build: HMS Winchelsea
Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/26/2021 at 2:31 PM, Cathead said:

Nice start on a neat model. Hope you're still working on it.

I am.  :)

Been swamped at work, never been busier.   I have been poking along at it.  When I get the time I’ll bring y’all up to date.  👍

Erik K. Evens

Architect and sailor

Evens Architects

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, friends!  I’m still here.  Been absolutely buried on new projects at work, so I had to put Flirt aside for several weeks.  I have finally been able to spend a bit of time moving it forward, though, and I thought I’d give you all an update.

I pre-beveled all of the filling parts, and glued them in place.  I tried to be careful not to over-bevel them, so that I can bring them down to correct shape during the final fairing. I completed the basic framing, installing the transom beams, and gluing all of the deck girders in place.

9203D895-A23F-481A-8D31-AB4A010FB367.thumb.jpeg.1b130da1dd218777914e005f6b7c9ac9.jpeg

05FB7F1F-8657-4DAE-B78D-7C34D96DCA93.thumb.jpeg.ec11af7204ab6cf2678f1e386e3954e5.jpeg

Next up is was the installation of the plywood upper deck, but before that went in, I painted the bulkhead with the little door with a grey-green acrylic, so that it would look a bit more finished when when looking through the hatch of the finished model.  

6A844CD2-19A2-428C-8C80-C6D4894047C4.thumb.jpeg.2f1fc40cff65cf3daf5e42825c08dac9.jpeg

B3284BD1-4800-4D44-BE2D-B9445E9BBC4F.thumb.jpeg.18317faf4d82546473f672656ec21595.jpeg

Then I installed the upper false deck, which is light plywood, and very flexible.  The deck needs to be gently bent with a crown at the centerline, and then it will snap into place in the little slots in each bulkhead.  I recommend being careful when doing this, as there are a few places where the bulkheads are a bit thin where the bulwarks start.  The MDF material is brittle, and you don’t want to break anything.

The deck fits beautifully, it’s very accurately shaped.  It is designed to have a very slight crown in the middle, and it naturally sits right down on the bulkheads and girders.  No clamping really needed, but a did clamp in a couple of spots just for insurance.  I used PVA glue to bond the deck in place.

BF8F378A-B87E-4889-8B39-E6720BA2E2E6.thumb.jpeg.ee1b5b015034f102d97b5740ec6c0f5b.jpeg4C207C04-E92A-48C0-9075-C719018A9017.thumb.jpeg.5563916cfed1345c4cd26df36e112719.jpeg18804156-CBEF-4571-A98C-1E4B5EA3A47E.thumb.jpeg.ccb1eab2c385f5f858cc1f3e754c0e99.jpeg651C0A43-129C-417E-B1C8-655A023B5E0E.thumb.jpeg.8e6dd8066a0749e9e0f5b7c6ed17f23a.jpeg

6C4B83BD-22EF-4F33-B7EB-45BDF881DFCD.thumb.jpeg.f6e94c499673e139e75c7f262e3b750d.jpeg

Next up, installation of the transom, and then final fairing of the frame to prepare for planking.  Hoping to find a bit more time in my schedule to keep this moving forward. 

-Erik

Edited by EKE

Erik K. Evens

Architect and sailor

Evens Architects

4 hours ago, James H said:

She's looking beautiful, and your work is always so clean.

Thanks, Jim.  Chris makes it easy, as everything in his kits is so well conceived.  And I have that wonderful manual to guide me.  It’s like both of you guys are standing by my side. :)

Erik K. Evens

Architect and sailor

Evens Architects