HMS Sphinx 1775 by Blue Ensign - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1:64 scale

An architect at work, one bold move after another!

Regards,

Glenn

Current Build: HMS Winchelsea
Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose

Amazing work, BE. I'm sure your build log will become the "go to log for bashing this kit." It's how you are opening things up so that the interior of the model can be viewed. 

Bob Garcia

"Measure once, cuss twice!"

Current Builds: 

Hms Brig-Sloop Flirt 1782 - Vanguard Models

Pen Duick - Artesania Latina 1:28

Completed: Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Co. 

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

Just as an aside B.E., I hope you're backing up your build log - I'd hate for you to have to try and recreate it (as you did with Pegasus) if there is another system crash.

Cheers

Richard

Next build:

Completed builds:

AL's Endeavour,  Corel's BellonaAmati's Xebec,  Billing's Roar Ege, Panart's Armed Launch

Ships' Boats - Vanguard 1:64 and Master Korabel 1:72

Alexander Arbuthnot,  Christiaan Brunings,  Pevenseall by World of Paperships

HMS Pegasus by Victory

Captain John Smith's Shallop by Pavel Nitikin

Rumpler "Taube" 1911 by HMV

On 9/11/2021 at 11:53 AM, Blue Ensign said:

I am taking things slowly as I’m basically making it up as I go along, having no plans to work to. I need to keep looking ahead to see how the mods impact on stages further along the build.

B.E.,

Looks to me like you're pretty good at making things up!

Tom

8 hours ago, Richard44 said:

Just as an aside B.E., I hope you're backing up your build log - I'd hate for you to have to try and recreate it (as you did with Pegasus) if there is another system crash.

Cheers

I'll try to explain this one again 🥸

In 2013, we were paying our host to backup for us, but they didn't even have the secondary drive fitted, let alone back things up.

Our current system does have a drive fitted and I have personally scheduled all backups. These are created every other day so the most we will ever lose is a day or so. No more need to back up this log than any other on MSW 😉

Ok....back to the log.

7 minutes ago, James H said:

I'll try to explain this one again 🥸

In 2013, we were paying our host to backup for us, but they didn't even have the secondary drive fitted, let alone back things up.

Our current system does have a drive fitted and I have personally scheduled all backups. These are created every other day so the most we will ever lose is a day or so. No more need to back up this log than any other on MSW 😉

Ok....back to the log.

Oh BE, i hate you, you make my small changes to the Kit look even smaller than they are :D

@James H as a Database Architect/Admin in a major Insurance company in Germany i can only tell you: Back up to an External company from the one you have the Hosting ;) 

Jacek

Current Build: HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models 1/64 

On Hold/Parallel: Lady Nelson - Amati/Victory Models 1/64

Cheers Guys,

@ Glenn, Bob, Tom, and Jacek

Blame Chris, for how he designed the kit, providing the scale Quarter deck beams which gave me the idea for a Navy Board style model.😄

It was the possibilities of enhancing the kit that persuaded me to buy it, hours of extra fun for the money.

I’m surprised Chris hasn’t charged me extra for the kit.😉

@Richard,

A case of stuff happens Richard, James and the team do a great job of providing the means for us all to record our work, and MSW were let down by the previous  host.

I write all my logs on word and copy and paste to MSW

The words docs and photo files are all backed up from my system.

The problem with the lost Pegasus log was reconstructing the photo inserts which took all the time. You will note that I now  add the reference below each photo, so I can quickly identify them.

B.E.

9 minutes ago, Blue Ensign said:

Cheers Guys,

@ Glenn, Bob, Tom, and Jacek

Blame Chris, for how he designed the kit, providing the scale Quarter deck beams which gave me the idea for a Navy Board style model.😄

It was the possibilities of enhancing the kit that persuaded me to buy it, hours of extra fun for the money.

I’m surprised Chris hasn’t charged me extra for the kit.😉

Well, it's too late propably for me to change the Cabin now (although, maybe i could rip part of the counter out to include benches)

My only change is the 2 ladders, Wardroom Bulkhead and open gratings to the Orlop

Jacek

27 minutes ago, Blue Ensign said:

If you're going to plank over the Quarter deck very little will be seen of the cabin area, so probably not worth the effort and risk of modification.

B.E.

The model asks for keeping the quarterdeck open Partially and i didnt yet plan so far ahead if i will really use that laser-engraved sheets or do my own planking.

I dont really like the openings as they are to be honest so some change might be done (maybe Half/Half)

On the other hand, the way most of the models are displayed (with run out guns in the Cabin Area), the cabin bulkheads really should be removed, otherwise the 2 aft guns should be positioned along the Bulwarks in their stowed position. All guns run out in the "Ready" Position and Cabin Bulkheads fitted seems a bit Anachronistic (but i am not sure 100% of this, definitely it would not be comfortable to sleep/dine with Gunports open).

Jacek

Post Twelve

Upper gun deck considerations

I spent some time getting the gundeck patterns to slip smoothly into place.

I found a light sanding of the bulkhead slots was necessary, followed by many dry fits, until I was happy I could fit them quickly.

When the time comes I need to get them in place before the glue starts to dry on the bulkhead tops.

IMGP0251.thumb.JPG.eae51611e146a56d49dd1668b9febbd0.JPG

I use dummy masts to help ensure a correct fit.

At this point I need consider whether I will use the provided etched deck or plank it myself.

This deck will be fully planked but I need to check how the thickness of the deck pattern plus the etched deck compare with the deck pattern plus any intended planking strips.

1229678956_IMGP0255(2).thumb.JPG.c7d8d35e07bdb6c69b0e25ea507a13f7.JPG

0255(2)

The comparison passes muster.

IMGP0257.thumb.JPG.962e5465eb1d2a75e3db601147af75f8.JPG

The strips will be 0.6mm thick Boxwood of 3.4 and 4.5mm widths which are a perfect match to the etched design planks.

The kit is designed for the hatchway coamings etc; to be fitted atop of the deck.

No doubt a boon to those who don’t fancy deck planking, and a great kit selling point, but I’ve not been persuaded to use the provided etched decks on three previous builds.

2018172325_IMGP0260(2).thumb.JPG.6eb19d013363b5fd0d0122698d311469.JPG

0260(2)

I can’t quite put my finger on it, is it that they are almost too perfect, does my eye catch the subtle grain shading angled across the deck?

Whatever, a decision has to be made, I can’t mix and match etched and individual planking on the model.

Before I make that final decision I am going to experiment with unused etched decking from earlier builds to see if it can be successfully chopped about to create larger unplanked areas.

B.E.

14/09/21

Hi B.E. Great work on the Sphinx. I've always enjoyed planking the deck. The etched decks that Chris supplies are very nice but I'm in the plank it if you want to group. 

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Current Builds: HMS Winchelsea 1/48  Duchess of Kingston

Completed Build Logs: USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

Cheers, Mugje and Rusty, on an unmasted and unrigged model the deck takes on a greater prominence.

Post Thirteen

Preparing the deck

I had a look at modifying the etched decking to suit my purpose but decided to pass in favour of individual planking, deep down I probably always knew I would.

1423872819_IMGP0263(2).thumb.JPG.8a1af1ee743549202a58b4254041acee.JPG

0263(2)

Firstly, I need to mark the presumed deck beam positions before I glue the deck patterns into place.

Once in place, areas of the centre line will need shoring up by the addition of carlings beneath the hatch openings.

92466202_IMGP0267(2).thumb.JPG.864aa699044fbb46418aef1740af8086.JPG

0267(2)

The assembled hatchway coamings are designed to fit atop the planking, but I intend to fit prior to planking.

This will entail fixing strips of deck planking to the underside of the fittings to maintain the height of the coamings.

Some other modification will be required;

IMGP0272.thumb.JPG.3771a2168c332210a4a8f5009e78641f.JPG

Extra strip wood will be applied to the head ledges to form a round up, and I am looking at using Chuck’s Curved Boxwood grating sets.

The Shot garlands will be removed as they are an unnecessary incumbrance to the deck planking.

So that’s the plan, but a few steps along the way. 

Firstly the false deck can at last be glued into place.

B.E.

15/09/21

I’m  satisfied with the etched deck for Flirt, it’s natural enough for a simple and small deck. However for Sphinx I will definitely plank it, even if I don’t do so expansive a challenge as you’re taking on. 

Enjoying your talents as always. 

Regards,

Glenn

Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose

1 minute ago, Blue Ensign said:

Wouldn’t like To start now would you Glenn so I can follow your planking example ? 😀

B.E.

Hes waiting for All of us to fail first :D

Jacek

6 hours ago, Jasseji said:

All of us to fail first

BE will show us all the way. 

Regards,

Glenn

6 hours ago, glbarlow said:

BE will show us all the way. 

Now there's a scary thought. 😨

Post Fourteen

The sub deck fits in without issue, I’m pleased to say.

1060292983_IMGP0275(2).thumb.JPG.2b0ace9dfcd883920e81af72c9ef2f82.JPG

0275(2)

Only weights were used to secure the deck centre line.

IMGP0296.thumb.JPG.bc041911a79cf616cab08a33528fd61d.JPG

Framing was then installed beneath the deck openings both for visual effect and more importantly to support the weak areas along the centre line of the deck.

IMGP0299.thumb.JPG.47f1500dc52d3caebdf1956976f84d3f.JPG

This particularly applies to the tabs that separate the Main Hatch and Ladderway.

IMGP0286.thumb.JPG.a40bc40723a77d4b0f4fa8e023370da8.JPG

2.7mm square section Boxwood was used for the purpose.

418516433_IMGP0305(2).thumb.JPG.b0a94c06e69d9dc8f4c75764a2688134.JPG

0305(2)

146761198_IMGP0306(2).thumb.JPG.ad260a34e05647524f106e78b1d1869a.JPG

0306(2)

That’s it for the modifications at the moment, I will now return to follow the basic constructions as per the manual.  

B.E.

16/09/21

16 minutes ago, Blue Ensign said:

This particularly applies to the tabs that separate the Main Hatch and Ladderway.

IMGP0286.thumb.JPG.a40bc40723a77d4b0f4fa8e023370da8.JPG

2.7mm square section Boxwood was used for the purpose.

yup, i broke the part between hatch and ladderway, was thinking myself about some additional beams there.

It;s more rigid after the Laser-Deck has been added tho (but you are planking yourself)

Jacek

Good idea on the companionway beam supports. I also broke the tab on the false deck. 

Regards,

Glenn

1 minute ago, glbarlow said:

Good idea on the companionway beam supports. I also broke the tab on the false deck. 

I also broke them. About 3 times. Left them off after the last time.

Jeff

In progress:
Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Company -1/2" scale

USS Constitution - Model Shipways - Scale 1:76

HMS Granado - CAF Model - 1:48

HMS Sphinx - Vanguard

Maybe we need a poll on who didn't break that part on the false deck?   I broke it also.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Post Fifteen

The routine stages

Once the false deck is in place the next stage is to add the vertical gunport frames.

I like this idea of Chris’s, together with the longitudinal frames the ports are formed in a manner that reflects a traditional way of making them.

492552924_IMGP0315(2).thumb.JPG.bd452623aa3ba4b5b4039aa90c003e56.JPG

0315(2)

I found that some of the frames benefitted from a pass with the sanding stick to fit smoothly into the notches; they are quite delicate at the extremes and some of the tips broke off.

IMGP0311.thumb.JPG.46904b78be311474ce8c8394b13a15f6.JPG

The filler pieces at the bow and stern were bevelled. No need to sand these, a scalpel blade cuts thro’ the mdf like butter, and no sanding dust.

Sanding the internal framing is a pain, I always find that removing char seems to take forever.

IMGP0318.thumb.JPG.8bb0190061a1dd43d37486c1fa4afe70.JPG

I start with P80 grade paper to get the rough off and then proceed to finer stuff. The char on the inner faces of the bulkhead tabs was particularly stubborn to remove.

848741222_IMGP0320(2).thumb.JPG.7675cd90c724f7be92c8abf74831519c.JPG

That done, the inner bulwark patterns fitted beautifully; I did  apply pva to the faces of the framing to ensure a strong bond, rather than rely on the diluted glue to the rear approach.

IMGP0322.thumb.JPG.40b031642a7338b65b7e8c97895f5aed.JPG

The bulkhead extensions designed to take hull support jigs seem very weak All but two of them have supporting splints and I can’t quite get my head around how they would have any effect on preventing hull spread.

The Quarterdeck beam spacing patterns are fitted before the rear bulwarks.

IMGP0323.thumb.JPG.1a1eff357263507080d50653c4f7c525.JPG

Delicate items these that require gentle handling. I found that the aftermost slot above the stern frames required easing to allow fitting.

IMGP0327.thumb.JPG.42c63ea777b5bf829db804e1e2a776a7.JPG

Before I glued them into place, I fitted some dummy deck beams to check the athwartships line-up. With a mostly open deck I didn’t want anything looking askew.

IMGP0329.thumb.JPG.e86e732132322ef7b754ec01d7d8c4ce.JPG

The rear panels took a little fettlin’ to fit beneath the beam spacers, together with a little more tweaking of the internal framing.

IMGP0334.thumb.JPG.805662a630a5e7c1913f1c8162b94378.JPG

At the rear panel you can see the first modification to the Quarter gallery; the doors have been removed.

How this will all tie in with modifications to the Quarter gallery fitting to come, I haven’t worked out as yet.

IMGP0333.thumb.JPG.4436b5b30544f5a8035604388cdd2365.JPG

The final action on this part is to sand the pattern gunport openings flush to the framing. For this I make up size specific sanding sticks with P240 paper.

IMGP0336.thumb.JPG.b37337e726d0749b770814edda398667.JPG

Moving on…

B.E

20/09/21

looking great

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

3 hours ago, Blue Ensign said:

The char on the inner faces of the bulkhead tabs was particularly stubborn to remove.

Will this char be visible on the completed model?

Otherwise, I have heard that brushing off the loose char is sufficient to get a good gluing surface.

This has been my experience with wood, but have haven't  worked with any lasered MDF at this point..

Luck is just another word for good preparation.

—MICHAEL ROSE

Current builds:    Rattlesnake (Scratch From MS Plans 

On Hold:  HMS Resolution ( AKA Ferrett )

In the Gallery: Yacht Mary,  Gretel, French Cannon

1 minute ago, Gregory said:

Will this char be visible on the completed model?

Otherwise, I have heard that brushing off the loose char is sufficient to get a good gluing surface.

This has been my experience with wood, but have haven't  worked with any lasered MDF at this point..

it wont be visible and i myself dint have any issues gluing to charred edges but in case of this model, removal off all char is an indication when the frames have been faired enough (at least on the bulwarks inner and outer)

Jacek