Prinz Eugen 1942 by CDW - FINISHED - Trumpeter - 1:700 Scale - PLASTIC

2 hours ago, ccoyle said:

Radiation was still a novelty back in those days. The military did a lot of wacky things with nuclear tests back then that make little sense based on what we know now.

A lot of what would be considered no-no's today were available back then.  Remember the chemistry sets?  There was also one for "atomic" which included some uranium as I recall.  Might explain why I am what I am today.... though not sure about the model ship builder part of my life. :D

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

4 minutes ago, mtaylor said:

A lot of what would be considered no-no's today were available back then.  Remember the chemistry sets?  There was also one for "atomic" which included some uranium as I recall.  Might explain why I am what I am today.... though not sure about the model ship builder part of my life. :D

I had those chemistry sets back then. Got one for Christmas one year when I woke up before daylight to check under the Christmas tree. I promptly took my set upstairs to my bedroom, aka mad scientist headquarters, then followed to recipe to make up a batch of  rotten egg smell in a test tube. Took the test tube downstairs to mom and dad's bedroom and popped the cork right under his nose, thinking he would have as good a sense of humor as me. Boy was I wrong. A memorable day for sure.

There was the full intention of having this model finished by tonight, but then there's what they say about good intentions.

My sister-in-law and her friend flew in to catch a cruise ship here in Tampa. I was the taxi from the airport, then the hotel for the night, then the Uber for the trip to the ship terminal, then the Uber for the return from the cruise, now the hotel for the next few days before at last I make another appearance as the Uber back to the airport. Oh, and not to be undone by that mayhem, I fat-fingered a final piece of railing for the port side of the ship, searched for it on my hands and knees then said the heck with it. I'll look for it again tomorrow or another day.

But I did snap a few more almost finished photos just to show I'm doing something.

DSCN3186.jpg

DSCN3187.jpg

DSCN3188.jpg

DSCN3189.jpg

DSCN3190.jpg

DSCN3191.jpg

Outstanding work  - simply  Beautiful  Craig.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

Very nicely done!

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

Beautiful work Craig!! Congratulations on another fantastic build!

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

Really great work Craig, and I just love the detail, especially on the funnel. I'm not sure if you mentioned this before but, is this your first venture into 1/700 scale?

What are your thoughts following (near) completion on the journey to get to this stage? Any particular aspects of the build that tested you more than others, (apart from needing to locate the AWOL deck railing!), unexpected obstacles and so forth. Did you need to develop new skills to tackle certain aspects? I know, I'm a nosey so and so!

9 hours ago, GrandpaPhil said:

Very nicely done!

6 hours ago, Landlubber Mike said:

Beautiful work Craig!! Congratulations on another fantastic build!

Just now, ccoyle said:

Superbly done, Craig!

Just now, RogerF said:

Really great work Craig, and I just love the detail, especially on the funnel. I'm not sure if you mentioned this before but, is this your first venture into 1/700 scale?

What are your thoughts following (near) completion on the journey to get to this stage? Any particular aspects of the build that tested you more than others, (apart from needing to locate the AWOL deck railing!), unexpected obstacles and so forth. Did you need to develop new skills to tackle certain aspects? I know, I'm a nosey so and so!

Thanks for the encouraging words gentlemen.

My impressions on this most recent Prinz Eugen project with a Flyhawk update set are; very, very delicate and tedious photo etch. A little too thin to suit me. A mere touch will completely bend them out of shape, and I literally do mean the slightest "feather touch". This marks my 4th 1:700 scale ship model (see the last four entries on my signature). I find myself working at a much slower pace with 1:700 scale, just to give my eyes a rest. A lot of this would have been different were I younger and if the eyes were what they used to be. 🙂

New skills? Not so much, but certainly the need to be more patient, by necessity.

Very well done, Craig and a beautiful display.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

20 hours ago, CDW said:

My impressions on this most recent Prinz Eugen project with a Flyhawk update set are; very, very delicate and tedious photo etch. A little too thin to suit me. A mere touch will completely bend them out of shape, and I literally do mean the slightest "feather touch". This marks my 4th 1:700 scale ship model (see the last four entries on my signature). I find myself working at a much slower pace with 1:700 scale, just to give my eyes a rest. A lot of this would have been different were I younger and if the eyes were what they used to be. 🙂

New skills? Not so much, but certainly the need to be more patient, by necessity.

Amen to that!

For me it's not just the super-delicate touch, patience, eye-strain and working at a slow, carefully measured pace, but the fact that my back starts to complain when it feels I've spent too long (2hours plus) bent over the desk fiddling with wafer-thin PE or microscopic AA guns and mast details.

I would definitely switch to 1/350 scale if I had any room for ships bigger than 1/700! Frustration with certain tasks sees me switching to different assemblies before returning to other areas that I left unfinished through frustration or lack of clarity on sequences.

Does anybody else lie awake at night pondering how to tackle some particularly quirky task?! My current problem relates to how I  am going to be able to fit/paint a tripod mast, 2 legs of which pass through one deck before being anchored at the deck below. Answers on a postcard please - not here!

Thanks Craig for your take on 1/700 builds.

Nicely finished Craig

Hope (He?) gets a place of honor in the model yard. It deserves it. Obviously a challenging build, and not just because of the scale.

Edited by lmagna

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

I went through your log over a couple of sessions Craig and dang, what a model and how beautifully you have built her.  You make that ultra tiny detail work look easy which of course we all know - it is not.  Congratulations on a fine build.  

Gary

Current Build   Pelican Eastern-Rig Dragger  

Completed Scratch Builds

Rangeley Guide Boat   New England Stonington Dragger   1940 Auto Repair Shop   Mack FK Shadowbox    

Just now, FriedClams said:

I went through your log over a couple of sessions Craig and dang, what a model and how beautifully you have built her.  You make that ultra tiny detail work look easy which of course we all know - it is not.  Congratulations on a fine build.  

Gary

Thanks for those kind words Gary. Here's my conundrum; I love model, warships and particularly well detailed large scale ones, but I do not have display space sufficient for the large scale models. These 1:700 scale ones offer nice details at a small fraction of the space for display, so they are my most realistic option and the small size is something I am learning to deal with slowly over time and practice.

Thanks again for dropping by. 

• 1 year later...
  • The title was changed to Prinz Eugen 1942 by CDW - FINISHED - Trumpeter - 1:700 Scale - PLASTIC