Prinz Eugen 1942 by CDW - FINISHED - Trumpeter - 1:700 Scale - PLASTIC

She is looking  really nice Craig  - these kits are  so good   so much sharp detail.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

8 hours ago, lmagna said:

The way they established the plank pattern on the main deck looks a little odd, at least to me. Hopefully it won't be as pronounced when you add the remaining superstructure and other decks.  

When you order these decks, it's a little like opening a box of Cracker Jacks...you never know exactly what you'll get.

Nicely done Craig.  Makes you cross eyed building those doesn't it!

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

Just now, Landlubber Mike said:

Nicely done Craig.  Makes you cross eyed building those doesn't it!

There is a certain amount of madness involved in this hobby and while doing these guns it occurs to me this is a good example of it. Maybe not quite as much as the paintings done on grains of rice as I used to see at the Ripley's Believe it or Not museum, but pretty darned close to it. If I were going to do anything smaller, would need a microscope, not an opti visor. 

4 minutes ago, CDW said:

There is a certain amount of madness involved in this hobby and while doing these guns it occurs to me this is a good example of it. Maybe not quite as much as the paintings done on grains of rice as I used to see at the Ripley's Believe it or Not museum, but pretty darned close to it. If I were going to do anything smaller, would need a microscope, not an opti visor. 

Wonderful.

At the end of the day we put in endless hours of time and effort with insane, microscopic detail because we enjoy it. Set-backs aside, there is tremendous satisfaction to be felt as these things come together. Nobody, but nobody who isn't into scale model building will ever be able to see, let alone, appreciate the intricacies we dish up in a model like this or have any understanding of the challenges it involved, not only for the model builder but also for the designers and manufacturers. But it doesn't matter. If there are imperfections in our model, we know where they are, every last one. Nobody else will see them so it doesn't matter - except to us! As Craig so aptly puts it - "There is a certain amount of madness involved in this hobby..."

Well said Roger.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

I'm working on my triple AA guns at 1/350 scale and feel the same way even though I only have four to do.  I don't think I could remain sane if I had to do 28, let alone at 1/700!

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

On my 1/700 build, I was worried about the 2D look of the single AA guns as well, but with the folds, some paint, and in situ, they look perfect.  Definitely much better than the plastic kit counterparts.

Mike

4 hours ago, yvesvidal said:

Trumpeter just announced the Scharnhorst in 1/700 scale.

Yves

With the Flyhawk Scharnhorst in production, I wonder how well these will sell? I'm sure they can be modeled to look great with a good set of aftermarket updates just like their other 1:700 scale ships. But it's my opinion the Flyhawk models are very hard to beat, particularly the quality of their plastic molding as well as their very nice update add-ons.

4 hours ago, CDW said:

In front is the Flyhawk 20mm AA gun. Immediately behind it is the plastic blob, Trumpeter 20mm AA gun. Even though the Flyhawk guns are two dimensional, they are light years better than the kit guns.

1C03476D-2BC8-404F-91FE-4016B676E4E4.jpeg.c50128c28b1d340931256aba47979805.jpeg

Beautiful job on the PE guns Craig. They look great.

Alan

Two-dimensional or not, when painted and in place they're going to look the business but wow, what a lot of work is involved and you have certainly mastered the intricacies of PE in this scale - I doubt I'll be as proficient when I turn my attention to the AA guns. I think your Hood will look stunning when finished, and well deserved. The two-dimensional 'look' will only be evident when viewed with optical aids, if at all. It always surprises me when I see close-up photos of my work and see how flawed it is but seen as a whole it looks just fine (well to my eyes!). The camera renders the subject quite magnified which is of course unrealistic.

Roger

1 hour ago, RogerF said:

Two-dimensional or not, when painted and in place they're going to look the business but wow, what a lot of work is involved and you have certainly mastered the intricacies of PE in this scale - I doubt I'll be as proficient when I turn my attention to the AA guns. I think your Hood will look stunning when finished, and well deserved. The two-dimensional 'look' will only be evident when viewed with optical aids, if at all. It always surprises me when I see close-up photos of my work and see how flawed it is but seen as a whole it looks just fine (well to my eyes!). The camera renders the subject quite magnified which is of course unrealistic.

Roger

Thanks Roger. I agree 100% on magnification. It brings out detail not seen with the naked eye. So a model with flaws seen under magnification may not show up at all on the shelf.

2 hours ago, CDW said:

Prinz Eugen, Scharnhorst, and Hood, side by side. The Hipper class were large heavy cruisers.

Modeling in identical scale makes it interesting to compare the various warships visually.

0062C365-8B07-4D04-8896-11440261623E.thumb.jpeg.58aa5f578af9d6bf34f60565acfea6bb.jpeg37F02DCC-A540-49E5-BB19-074CB3CEF0E4.thumb.jpeg.b0cb5137a98f69339e9db390def30b0f.jpeg

Yes indeed  - Hood  was nealy 100 feet longer than Scharnhorst  and about 160 feet longer than Prinze Eugen.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

These 20mm quad AA guns came as unused extras in my recently built Flyhawk Scharnhorst kit. While I wrestled with building 20mm quad guns from the photo etch that came with my update set, remembered I had these unused plastic molded guns that look quite good. Perhaps even better than the photo etch ones. I will use the photo etch shields as the plastic ones had none. Prince Eugen carries seven of these mounts but I had only four. Fortunately, Flyhawk offers them as an accessory set which I ordered to acquire the three additional I needed.

7E9B3D2C-3D28-41BE-B010-183A712CB085.thumb.jpeg.ed43adc8bdf7480c5886194a3ad46e7c.jpeg3DC44E8F-3C2A-46D9-9F60-B47172560EB2.thumb.jpeg.7b8ac2010958554cdb87c14794be7d86.jpeg89BEE7AD-6DDC-4685-9246-487EABB183BE.thumb.jpeg.5ffe25163ce33f5f4b30ebb93b2f4e2e.jpeg

Without intending to do it, I have wound up with three FH Bismarck kits. Two are the bonus kits that include the update sets and one is the bare plastic kit. Just for comparing the two, I plan to build one with no extras except photo etch railing. I think the FH plastic is good enough to compare very well to a fully upgraded one. We shall see.

Putting together 1/350 and 1/700 guns using PE is a huge time suck.  I decided to pick up some resin guns to try out on my future builds.  You only have to use a few pieces of PE, rather than build up guns from a dozen or so parts. 

Mike

super nice progress so far Craig........really looks good with all that PE :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

1 hour ago, Landlubber Mike said:

Putting together 1/350 and 1/700 guns using PE is a huge time suck.  I decided to pick up some resin guns to try out on my future builds.  You only have to use a few pieces of PE, rather than build up guns from a dozen or so parts. 

This is so true. Besides the inordinate amount of time it takes to assemble the 1:700 photo etch AA guns, putting them together in the proper way, in the proper sequence, using the proper tools and adhesives is an experience-acquired process that's only learned through trial and error. Often times, you destroy three (or more) in order to make one good one because of what you didn't know before you made the errors that destroyed them. The quad 20mm AA guns were a case in point. I literally got just one chance to fold these things the correct way or to handle them the correct way. Once I didn't do it correctly, they are kaput, non repairable/non recoverable. On the bright side, the update set provides more than you actually need so there are spares. 

Have you seen the Micromaster  stuf  -  😍

OC.

https://micromaster.co.nz/collections/1-700-scale

Current builds  

Completed works.