Creating Sections from only Top and Side Views

Without actual section stations  other than the one provided. your only option would be to invent them yourself.

Some of your top drawings appear to be missing also.

Luck is just another word for good preparation.

—MICHAEL ROSE

Current builds:    Rattlesnake (Scratch From MS Plans 

On Hold:  HMS Resolution ( AKA Ferrett )

In the Gallery: Yacht Mary,  Gretel, French Cannon

As the hull is made from plywood, all the hull sections would be runs of curved (lenghtwise), but flat (cross) sections. You could draw bulkheads using the supplied info, as all the hull sections would be flat between the lines (as is the one section shown. A model could be made from these lines, but if you are looking to make a full sized boat, you will need better plans.

Hello Mustafa,

I think it may be doable. The interrupted lines in the plan and profile views represent edges of developable sheets of plywood. The body plan view can provide the true widths of the sheets at the dead flat point. So your software should be able to create the necessary pieces in 3D.

Does your software "unwrap" surfaces to create the plywood templates? If not, I recommend DELFTship Free. This program also allows you to create truly developable parts using visual cues such as solid colors.

Let me know if I can be of further help.

Terry

17 minutes ago, thibaultron said:

You could draw .... A model could be made from these lines

59 minutes ago, Gregory said:

Some of your top drawings appear to be missing also.

Hello,

I think no important top drawing is missing.

I can use blender or freeship. Isnt it possible to match two- top+side- views to create 3d model ? Is there a video or tutorial for such application ? I want to create flat cross sections first than the plywood cutting files.

1 minute ago, CDR_Ret said:

Hello Mustafa,

I think it may be doable. The interrupted lines in the plan and profile views represent edges of developable sheets of plywood. The body plan view can provide the true widths of the sheets at the dead flat point. So your software should be able to create the necessary pieces in 3D.

Does your software "unwrap" surfaces to create the plywood templates? If not, I recommend DELFTship Free. This program also allows you to create truly developable parts using visual cues such as solid colors.

Let me know if I can be of further help.

Terry

Thank you Terry.

I need a tutorial or video for creating 3 d model with only two views and then creating the cross sections and finally cutting files.

Let me see if I can install DELFTShip Free to latest ubuntu.

This would not be hard to do as this is a “hard chine” boat.  The dotted lines represent the chines in each view.  For each section simply measure distances from the centerline in the plan view and above and below from the waterline, plot, and connect the points with straight lines.  No CADD program is needed.

Roger

Mustafa,

I think DELFTship is a Windows-only platform, sadly.

But like Roger said, you can create stations along the length of the hull in both profile and top views. Then pick off heights and breadths of the "chine" lines at each station and plot them in the body plan view. When you connect the dots with with straight lines at each station, you have your third view.

The harder part will be generating the true shapes of the plywood planks. I think this can be done by drawing diagonals in the body plan view for each plank, then picking off the distances from the associated diagonal of the top and bottom edges (chines) at each station. This sounds more complicated than it actually is. [Edit: If there is a twist to the plank, I'm not sure this will actually work.]

Terry

Edited by CDR_Ret

2 hours ago, CDR_Ret said:

Mustafa,

I think DELFTship is a Windows-only platform, sadly.

But like Roger said, you can create stations along the length of the hull in both profile and top views. Then pick off heights and breadths of the "chine" lines at each station and plot them in the body plan view. When you connect the dots with with straight lines at each station, you have your third view.

The harder part will be generating the true shapes of the plywood planks. I think this can be done by drawing diagonals in the body plan view for each plank, then picking off the distances from the associated diagonal of the top and bottom edges (chines) at each station. This sounds more complicated than it actually is. [Edit: If there is a twist to the plank, I'm not sure this will actually work.]

Terry

Terry, I have linux groovy ubuntu and I installed wine 6.0 to support the exe files. After 20 minutes work , I could start to work with DELFTship free.

I cut the top image as top and side and uploaded to software as they are. Now I can see two images in 3D perspective. Now I have to align them correctly for each other. I am not sure how , I have to watch more videos

Screenshot from 2021-08-24 22-17-57.png

3 hours ago, Roger Pellett said:

This would not be hard to do as this is a “hard chine” boat.  The dotted lines represent the chines in each view.  For each section simply measure distances from the centerline in the plan view and above and below from the waterline, plot, and connect the points with straight lines.  No CADD program is needed.

Roger

Roger , Terry , I have only 56KB size jpeg of the boat, boat is 4 meters long and my jpeg is A5 sized. How much should I enlarge the image for manual handmade job ?

Mustafa,

Thinking that you might not be able to run DELFTship, I created the nine stations you would need to hand draft the plywood planks in my 2D program. This is what I came up with:

1330336167_AnnotatedPlan.thumb.jpg.81d5654dcea8083a4d635308bf194bac.jpg

A couple of issues are evident. The main problem is that the body plan is not consistent with the profile and plan views. So you will be able to use that view only for general reference. I think you can get all the important details from the other views. Also, the image is slightly tilted (less than half a degree), but that can be enough to throw off some dimensions. I corrected the tilt in this image.

Even with a lower-resolution background image, you should be able to adjust the the chines to create fair edges for your plywood planks. If you view the surfaces using the Developable tool—image.png.7e7725a15a68043d01b485fd7bcca588.png—you should be able to adjust the crease edges to create a completely fair surface.

What you are looking for is a solid green color indicating the surface curves in only one direction or is perfectly flat. This means you can cut the plank out of a flat piece of plywood stock. Usually the program will show red shading near the edges, especially if the edges themselves curve in more than one direction. This is how my brigantine's cylindrical transom looks because of this effect:

image.png.46a8cba9e25d3bbbb4d53b743599f0fb.png 

As far as sizing the background images and other considerations for starting a DELFTship project, see my tutorial available at this page here in this forum.

Again, contact me if you need some assistance getting started.

Cheers!

Terry

Edited by CDR_Ret