Orca Boat by ndeconte - 35" movie replica - Finished

In between remodeling our downstairs bathroom, I got some work done on the fighting chair for the Orca........

The cushions are done except for adding some cracking in the vinyl, have to wait till the primer dries completely to finish that. The pocket on the back of the back cushion is a piece of Sheet styrene that I heated up with a heat gun and stretched around the basswood to form.

Also figured out how to do the recessed area in the slide arm for the footrest. Added the mounting bolt for the footrest to slider also.

post-5034-0-94594300-1465665334_thumb.jpg

post-5034-0-82830600-1465665342_thumb.jpg

post-5034-0-28575900-1465665355_thumb.jpg

Neal DeConte

Rhode Island

COMPLETED: 35" Orca Boat movie replica, first wooden/scratch built boat

Neal,

I have been watching this build for some time and I am amazed how you have made the vessel come alive! A true artist as well as a craftsman.

Glenn

My Gallery

9 inch Dahlgren on Marsilly Carriage<p><p>

Heroine Shipwreck Diorama

• 2 weeks later...

Not much of an update but I got the footrest done including the rubber mat and the adjustment stop bolts for the fighting chair. Working on the Rockaway name plate for it, then this will be molded along with all the other parts for the fighting chair.

The rubber mat was created from gluing some thin solder to some thin styrene plastic, side by side and cut to length. then this was set into a slot that was carved into the footrest to get the correct height.

post-5034-0-72114100-1466596358_thumb.jpg

post-5034-0-28167400-1466596367_thumb.jpg

post-5034-0-43775000-1466596756.jpg

Edited by ndeconte

Neal DeConte

Rhode Island

Neal,

This chair is just the prototype?   It looks fantastic so I'm not sure why you'd cast it.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Hey Mark,

Thanks for the kind words!

This boat is for my stepson who's a huge Jaws fan....... I'm also doing one for myself and also a customer in CA, so I didn't want to have to re-create this from scratch for the other two.

Edited by ndeconte

Neal DeConte

Rhode Island

Quick update..... Finally got the small Rock Away logo cast, that was a chore!? Had to find a material that would be strong enough but pliable to get a quality casting. I ended up using a dab of Magic Sculp to get it.

Now that's done I'll get it adhered to the foot rest and get the molds made. Hopefully I can get those done this weekend.

Happy 4th of July to all our USA members!

Neal DeConte

Rhode Island

Happy 4th of July! And you will remember that the film takes place over the 4th of July weekend: The town of Amity is going to have its summer tourist season RUINED because of that big shark out there, forcing the sheriff to close the beaches! Better get into the Orca and hunt that shark! I try to re-watch Jaws every July 4th now and this year I will be thinking of your model when I see all the scenes featuring the Orca.

Edited by JerseyCity Frankie

Niagara USS Constitution 

• 1 month later...

Been busy with Summer things...... Working on the house and rebuilding my 66 Plymouth Valiant wagon, finally got some time to get back to the boat!

Got the fighting chair all molded up. Now I'm painting and assembling the chair for the boat.

Have a bunch of small detail work to finish up the next few days, then her & I are taking the trek down to Jerseyfest for her first competition!

I'll get updated photos soon!

Here are a couple cool lighting shots! 

post-5034-0-63726300-1471957984_thumb.jpg

post-5034-0-22224600-1471957985_thumb.jpg

Neal DeConte

Rhode Island

Excellent work on repo I expect a mock up of JAWS biting off the transom. 

John Allen

Current builds HMS Victory-Mamoli

On deck

USS Tecumseh, CSS Hunley scratch build, Double hull Polynesian canoe (Holakea) scratch build

Finished

Waka Taua Maori War Canoe, Armed Launch-Panart, Diligence English Revenue Cutter-Marine  Model Co. 

Well, I got the Orca finished enough to enter it into the Jerseyfest Model competition this past weekend.......

To my surprise, it took a gold in the vehicle category, AND it also took Best of show vehicle!?

Here are some photos of it at the show........

Hope you like!

post-5034-0-39780500-1472577969_thumb.jpg

post-5034-0-41219200-1472577970_thumb.jpg

post-5034-0-19871300-1472577971_thumb.jpg

post-5034-0-17189900-1472577972_thumb.jpg

post-5034-0-97017300-1472577972_thumb.jpg

post-5034-0-93370000-1472577973_thumb.jpg

post-5034-0-68730200-1472577974_thumb.jpg

post-5034-0-12950100-1472577975_thumb.jpg

post-5034-0-64081900-1472577991_thumb.jpg

Neal DeConte

Rhode Island

Congratulations on your well deserved awards! I love the detailing and your efforts have paid off. 

Also here is a link for hardware either to finish this build or for the next one. They have a great selection of threaded as well as simulated and a great selection of rivets.

http://www.scalehardware.com 

Edited by xken

Ken

Current build: Maersk Detroit"
Future builds:  Mamoli HMS Victory 1:90
Completed builds: US Brig Niagara, Dirty Dozen, USS Constitution, 18th Century Armed Longboat
https://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/11935-uss-constitution-by-xken-model-shipways-scale-1768/

Well done on the award. That's very enjoyable to look through - really great work & a work of art. (from another Jaws fan, an underrated film)

thanks for showing it off 

Mark 

Neal, it looks like the site is down for maintenance. Keep checking back, they do have a fantastic selection of hardware.

Ken

Current build: Maersk Detroit"
Future builds:  Mamoli HMS Victory 1:90
Completed builds: US Brig Niagara, Dirty Dozen, USS Constitution, 18th Century Armed Longboat
https://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/11935-uss-constitution-by-xken-model-shipways-scale-1768/

Neal,

A very hearty congratulations for a very well-deserved award.   

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

• 1 month later...

great looking ship........congratz on the awards!  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

I took this to the Classic Plastic Model Contest in MA this past weekend.....Took first place in the Miscellaneous Category, their "Best Detail" award and their "Best of Show" award. Kind of amazing for a model car contest to give the best of award to something other than a car.

Neal DeConte

Rhode Island

I took this to the Classic Plastic Model Contest in MA this past weekend.....Took first place in the Miscellaneous Category, their "Best Detail" award and their "Best of Show" award. Kind of amazing for a model car contest to give the best of award to something other than a car.

...and well deserved, too.  I'm sure!

Cheers

Patrick